Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 11:23pm
Quote: A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a work station...

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Website set up (Read 11412 times)
Chaddy
GDPR opt-out

Website set up
Jan 16th, 2005, 10:28am

I'm looking to set up a website for my buisness.

After some info. Tongue

What am i looking for from a host? Undecided

How much web space will i need for starters?  ???

Can anyone recommend a good relatively cheap host. Grin

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Website set up
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2005, 12:42pm

I might be able to help you here. I provide web hosting for a couple of other small businesses, and developed their web sites. It's what I used to do career wise.

Depends what you are after really. Setting up a little web site can be done for £100. Something more adventurous would obviously be more expensive.

Hosting, £60 a year +VAT. That includes maintaining it. You can get cheaper but you'll have to beware people who will take your money and then run away when it needs fixing.

You really need a domain name because that will give customers a good feel - running a web site on the back of an AOL or btconnect URL is really tantamount to saying you ain't serious. I can get a domain name for you easily enough (unless it is already taken in which case hard luck!). Don't go squirting domain names around here and elsewhere because it's a known fact that sometimes people buy domain names then try to flog them to you at a premium (the used car salesmen who moved into the Internet age).

Web space - not likely to be a problem. 10 Mb is easily good enough to get you started.

Bandwidth IS a problem area. It's directly coupled to the amount you pay - the busier the web site the more likely it is you will hit the bandwidth limitation. Plan on getting 1Gb a month from your ISP, that'll be more than enough - if you've got that much bandwidth going thru the web site then you won't have any problem buying more.

You can set up and maintain a web site yourself if you want, it isn't rocket science but if you aren't into anything IT then getting someone else to look after the details can be the best option.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2005, 8:03pm

Hi HM,

I have seen your website and I will be contacting you later on in the year to get my website (a cheapy from Yell.com!) up to scratch.

Speak to you soon.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2005, 8:20pm

Thanks HM. Can you give me the website addresses so i can have a look.

Ken

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2005, 8:36pm

What software do you use HM?

I have been learning HTML, but it is bloody difficult to get a good page.  And once you have, you don't want to change it!!

I host with pipex, and have a domain with one&one.  I direct the domain to my pipex addy, along with the email.  Is there a better way of doing this??

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2005, 8:50pm

yeah upgrade to a hosting account with one&one or transfer the domain(if allowed) to the host of your choice.  I'm stuck with the same thing here m8, wish i'd  reg'd with someone else. When it expires next year I'll be reg'ing elsewhere, with a full host.. I dont know how SS does it, but his server is at home so he owns the domain and is his own webhost, might be something to do with shell accounts from his IP.  SS?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2005, 8:54pm

[quote author=bstyle  link=1105871323/0#2 date=1105905799]I have seen your website and I will be contacting you later on in the year to get my website (a cheapy from Yell.com!) up to scratch [/quote]

No problem, though a couple of comments if I may.....

Yell.com. I have no prior experience of them, though they have tried to encourage me to join them in days gone by (no chance!). Yell.com like so many other Internet hosting companies are likely to stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap - your web site might be hosted on an underpowered server running thousands of other domains (but then again, to be fair to yell.com, this might not be the case).

If you get a domain via yell.com then read the small print. That goes for getting your domain name from anywhere else. Sometimes these companies won't release the domain name for you to take it elsewhere unless you pay a stiff penalty. For example a couple of years ago Freeserve wanted £125 just to release the domain name to the owner of the domain! It's called stiffing your customers to make them think again about hosting elsewhere, a very shady but unfortunately legal practice. I don't go down that road myself because I think it's totally immoral to stop a customer doing what he wants to do.

If the domain name you have includes part of the URL "yell.com" or similar, you are stuffed - you can't take it anywhere else and host it in the future - it absolutely has to be on the yell.com servers and nowhere else. You can take your web site elsewhere no problem - but having built up a customer base with an email address and domain name you will have the problem that your customers will no longer know how to contact you.

Never mind the web site, getting the domain name right now is quite important - because you can then issue your business cards etc with that domain name on. Think about it - if you change to a different (new) domain name later on then you are onto a potential loser 'cos your customers won't know where you've disappeared to. They may think you've gone out of business if they can't find you at the old email address or domain name, and give work to your competitors.

There's also the situation where changing domain names can give rise to some anxiety that maybe you are a fly-by-night character who is running away from bad debts or something. Perhaps you were investigated by Watchdog and decided to do a moonlight flit, you can never tell with these pesky customers Wink

Any domain name you get today can be pointed to another domain name/web site on the Internet without too much trouble, so you don't actually have to have a web site properly set up.

A domain name is like a prized possession. A bit like a car number plate in a way. Once you've got it it's yours to do as you want with.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2005, 8:54pm

Seems like the business to be in if you can advertise well (hosting).

I will look into transferring the domain to pipex.  Pipex is the cheapest for net access.

I have two domains, private and business.  The business one is billed to my boss.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Reply #8 - Jan 16th, 2005, 9:01pm

thats why we will be offering hosting on the new servers

should be a blodey good setup with the specs of the servers 8)

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2005, 9:11pm

[quote author=Lectrician  link=1105871323/0#4 date=1105907789]What software do you use HM? [/quote]

TopStyle3 Pro:

http://www.bradsoft.com/

It's the mutts nutts, but kinda advanced for a beginner. There's a completely free (non-pro) version.

Quote:
I host with pipex, and have a domain with one&one.  I direct the domain to my pipex addy, along with the email.  Is there a better way of doing this??

Get a cheapo ISP account and stick the domain on there. You are making it more complicated to manage by having two companies in the loop.

However, because I'm an "advanced" user my setup looks like this:

I currently have about 20 domains which I've registered over a period of time. I'm only running 2-3 though, and the others can lapse without any problem to me. I also control some customer domains on their behalf - they aren't Internet savvy and they pay me a small fee each year to look after it for them.

I use http://www.freeparking.co.uk to manage the DNS. DNS stands for "Dynamic Name Server". Basically when someone types in a URL your internet connection heads off to a DNS server on the internet and converts the URL to an IP address (which looks like 123.123.123.123). The internet can only work with IP addresses, the URL's are human-friendly and have to be converted.

Most of my web sites are hosted with OpenHosting - http://www.openhosting.co.uk. Those domains have been transferred into their DNS servers, which means that if the ISP loses a server they can stick another one up quickly and change IP addresses in their local DNS server without me having to do anything.

However, if OpenHosting went out of business tomorrow (they won't, but bear with me) and took their DNS servers with them, I'd have probably months of effort to get my domains transferred somewhere else.

Whereas having the domains controlled from FreeParking means that if OpenHosting goes tits up I can switch to a new ISP immediately. OpenHosting could get hit by a nuke and it wouldn't put me out of business on the Internet (unless I happened to be under the same mushroom cloud in which case it doesn't matter).

I have a server under my desk here on which I host some test domains. It's very much like these forums in the way it works. But the DNS is handled thru Freeparking.

The major problem with having your own server on a broadband connection is that the broadband is typically not covered by a service level agreement - so if the supplier takes your line to the internet down you are completely stuffed - no backup routes. Whereas hosting somewhere like OpenHosting (or yell.com) they have backup routes to the internet covered by very expensive backup routes - you could nuke their main feed to the Internet and the servers will figure out how to get to where they want to go instantly. OpenHosting have their servers based in Docklands in London - a huge complex which many hosting companies use, and they've got massive great pipes connecting them to the Internet.

They also have hotswitch servers, meaning that if a server goes down then a backup can be brought online very quickly. Not quite instantaneous, but downtime is measured in hours worst case. If you are hosting on your own box under your desk and the box blows up, it's goodbye for several days whilst you figure out how to rebuild it etc. Plus the cost of repairs etc.

Freeparking don't offer web hosting as such. I think they just started doing so recently but it's not at the serious end of web hosting, so I don't use it. But for controlling DNS they are top dog for me.

HM

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #10 - Jan 16th, 2005, 9:12pm

I've got my domain name from another company, for 2 years. The web address doesn't have yell in the title.

I get quite a bit of business from yell.com because a fair amount of people use it as a search engine.

All I want really is someone to design me a new website (You can see the one at the moment is pretty poor!)

Let me know if you are willing to do it HM and I will get in contact with you later on in the year.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2005, 9:18pm

[quote author=Lectrician  link=1105871323/0#7 date=1105908876]Seems like the business to be in if you can advertise well (hosting) [/quote]

No chance. I took a serious look at it as a means of bringing in an income. There are quite literally hundreds (if not thousands) of little guys doing this in the UK and the market ain't big enough to make a profit out of providing hosting. It has the potential to be a serious drain on cashflow.

I am a member of another IT organisation with thousands of members in the UK. Their forums are choc-a-bloc with people offering hosting services. And those are guys who know what they are up to on a techy level. Unless you've got their sort of expertise it's a high risk strategy to try and compete one on one because they can add things like shopping carts, online credit cards and so on easily. And it's still a high risk game even if you can compete knowledge-wise.

And you can't compete with the big guys, so it's you vs the other little guys who are trying to make a few bob.

HM

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2005, 9:21pm

[quote author=bstyle  link=1105871323/0#10 date=1105909963]I've got my domain name from another company, for 2 years. The web address doesn't have yell in the title [/quote]

Good move. Only thing to worry about is where the DNS is, because that company can stiff you for a big fee if you decide to move the domain elsewhere. They might not, but don't assume anything - it'll be in the fine print.

Quote:
Let me know if you are willing to do it HM and I will get in contact with you later on in the year.

Always willing! Wink

HM

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #13 - Jan 16th, 2005, 9:31pm

Oops! I just remembered something....

Advertising isn't allowed on these forums so I'm not going to try and offer services in that direction.

Beg forgiveness from the big guys holding my nuts in the mole grips.... Wink

HM

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Reply #14 - Jan 16th, 2005, 9:35pm

ill overlook it on this occasion  Wink

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #15 - Jan 16th, 2005, 9:38pm

[quote author=supersparky  link=1105871323/0#14 date=1105911327]ill overlook it on this occasion  Wink [/quote]

Thanks. Now about those mole grips.... Wink

HM

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #16 - Jan 16th, 2005, 10:06pm

I wont call you later in the year HM.

nudge, nudge,  Wink,  Wink !

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print