Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 11:29pm
Quote: Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are foosteps on the moon - Paul Brandt

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Website set up (Read 11413 times)
HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Website set up
Reply #17 - Jan 16th, 2005, 10:18pm

No problem, I won't answer your phone call.... Wink

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

get_it_done
Reply #18 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 10:36pm

I have used Lycos Webcenre for domains and email forwarding with no problems at all.  Cost next to nothing for a basic package and there are plenty of upgrade options. I have even had answers from there tech support.  

For those of you thinking about doing your own web pages. Don't learn HTML, JAVA or anything else. Get an application that will build web-pages from an easy to use interface.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #19 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:49pm

[quote author=get_it_done  link=1105871323/15#18 date=1106433374]I have used Lycos Webcenre for domains and email forwarding with no problems at all.  Cost next to nothing for a basic package and there are plenty of upgrade options. I have even had answers from there tech support.  

For those of you thinking about doing your own web pages. Don't learn HTML, JAVA or anything else. Get an application that will build web-pages from an easy to use interface.

[/quote]

I disagree, learn HTML at the very least, javascript if you want to as well, depends on what you want to add to your site.  Then at least when you have built your page with your build software you can modify the bits it doesnt support, change the look, check output on different browsers, and change if necessary, add function(MySQL, forms, Credit Cards, Dynamic linking, javascript and other useful code), bug-fix.

If you know what you want but cant find how to build it in your editor, learn the language.  there is no software package i recommend for building websites, but the most popular are frontpage(MS) and DreamWeaver(Macromedia). Use frontpage if you want a fairly good looking yet basic website with a pretty good user interface, DreamWeaver  once you are ready to go a bit deeper.
Else use the webhosts online packages(very simple to use but limited content).

Better yet, call a professional web designer, tell him or her what you need, how you want it to look, and get them to do it, thats why they are there. $$$$$
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:50pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #20 - Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:38am

I'm biased, but I agree with BTK. Learning basic HTML is easy-peasy. The more complex stuff takes time but can be done by anyone with half a brain.

The main reason why people would engage someone else to do a web site for them is because they simply don't have the time or inclination. And that's exactly the same argument for learning a new piece of software to create web pages.

Relying on a package to create web pages (for example Microsoft FrontPage) is all very well, but those packages lock you in big time - you'll never get away from them.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

get_it_done
Reply #21 - Jan 23rd, 2005, 3:04am

[quote author=HM  link=1105871323/15#20 date=1106440725]I'm biased, but I agree with BTK. Learning basic HTML is easy-peasy. The more complex stuff takes time but can be done by anyone with half a brain.
[/quote]

A bit like electrical work then. lol   No need to go on courses, no need to read books, no need for any experience, no need to sit exams.

Quote:
The main reason why people would engage someone else to do a web site for them is because they simply don't have the time or inclination. And that's exactly the same argument for learning a new piece of software to create web pages.

I spent over 15 years in IT, 7 of which were spent as an Microsoft Certified Trainer teaching the MCSE courses. I also designed and developed complex SQL driven websites on our own servers.  I took the decision over 10 years ago not to learn HTML, Jave etc.  I always employed experienced and skilled code writers.

A website is a component of business system and its purpose should be determined by business need. The functionality of the website is to meet the specific business requirement.  The 'owner' of a website should concentrate on the 'why' questions and leave the 'how' to the professionals.

I think the main reason people (me included) go down the DIY route is we don't have, or don't want to spend, the money getting someone to do it properly.

Quote:
Relying on a package to create web pages (for example Microsoft FrontPage) is all very well, but those packages lock you in big time - you'll never get away from them.

Maybe so, but if the system is delivering a cost effective solution where is the problem.

I don't want a big debate about this, but postings on this forum and elswhere are always urging the unskilled to call in the professionals, I am just suggesting the same solution.

Anyway, good luck to all you budding 'web designers' and keep up the good work HM.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #22 - Jan 23rd, 2005, 6:25pm

[quote author=get_it_done  link=1105871323/15#21 date=1106449479]I spent over 15 years in IT, 7 of which were spent as an Microsoft Certified Trainer teaching the MCSE courses [/quote]

I had 25+ years in IT. Looked seriously at the MCSD route about 5 years ago, then this helpful government decided on IR35. From there on in I thought why bother.

Quote:
A website is a component of business system and its purpose should be determined by business need. The functionality of the website is to meet the specific business requirement.  The 'owner' of a website should concentrate on the 'why' questions and leave the 'how' to the professionals

Agreed. However most people (businesses) would benefit from something which is relatively simple, without a database back end. The database is usually a heavyweight addition to a web site (even if it is a Microsoft Access database). And something like SQL Server, Informix, MySql is only ever going to be needed for something like the Amazon web site where mission critical multi-user functionality will overwhelm a small scale database.

Quote:
I think the main reason people (me included) go down the DIY route is we don't have, or don't want to spend, the money getting someone to do it properly

I take slight issue with that statement. When I take on a job I expect to do the job properly, every time. The people I appeal to are those who can't be arsed, or really don't have the DIY skills (or perhaps the tools).

HM

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print