Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 1st, 2024, 11:54am
Quote: To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, to steal from many is research.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
mcb (Read 5946 times)
cupid

stand&be counted? sod
that,lie down no  number?

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

mcb
Jan 21st, 2005, 9:17pm

Today the niece & nephew came over to stay for the weekend Cry we have a cupboard under the stairs for elec/gas meters ect  plus lots of bits &bobs for the kids, my nephew went to the cupboard to get some toys and said UNCLE  that BUZZING  noise in the cuboard sounds really cool Undecided , i found that it was coming from the mcbs turning each one of in turn i found that it stopped when turning upstairs lighs off ??? tuned it back on no buzzing WTF  (all lighting is 6a type c mcbs)

many thanks
cupid

Give me the MEN i will do the job MYSELF!!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Re: mcb
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2005, 9:51pm

I thought you were going to say that he pulled a vibrator out of the cupboard!! lol

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

cupid

stand&be counted? sod

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2005, 10:01pm

na, wrong cupboard Shocked Wink

cupid

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2005, 10:36pm

[quote author=cupid  link=1106342261/0#0 date=1106342261]Today the niece & nephew came over to stay for the weekend Cry we have a cupboard under the stairs for elec/gas meters ect  plus lots of bits &bobs for the kids, my nephew went to the cupboard to get some toys and said UNCLE  that BUZZING  noise in the cuboard sounds really cool Undecided , i found that it was coming from the mcbs turning each one of in turn i found that it stopped when turning upstairs lighs off ??? tuned it back on no buzzing WTF  (all lighting is 6a type c mcbs)

many thanks
cupid [/quote]

Heya Cupid

Sounds like a bit of a concern, buzzing noises are almost always loose connections with resulting arcing, this can cause burning inside the board, and in extreme cases result in a fire.

I would for now at least open up the board, do a quick visual inspection, check for any melted wires, any wires come loose etc

Best do this when the kids aren’t around, and if you feel like you can do it safely and properly.

If not it's calling in an electrician, but you may well find out it's something simple that you can fix, and if it is you just need isolate the entire board via the main switch, take off the cover, fix the problem, fix cover back on and turn main switch back on

Perhaps you could take a picture of the inside of the board for us?

Hope you resolve it, arcing can sometimes come and go, and I really wouldn’t forget about it just because you can't hear it buzzing at any one time.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2005, 10:39pm by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

ChubbyPhaseWire
Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2005, 10:48pm

mcb? Sad

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2005, 10:51pm

just wondering why he's got type c's?  type b is the norm isn't it?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:25am

Quote:
mcb?
Sad

Yea could be faulty MCB

[quote author=JerryD  link=1106342261/0#5 date=1106347906]just wondering why he's got type c's?  type b is the norm isn't it? [/quote]

Actually Type-B's are not ideal for lighting because they trip when bulbs blow, this usually doesn’t happen with Type-C

Eventually Type-C for lighting will become the normal thing..

I've personally fitted several Type-C MCB's for lights on domestic installations, had no problems so far
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2005, 8:15pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 7:01am

Do type c still comply with disconnection times in line with BS 7671?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 9:31am

on a worst allowed case TN-S with a C6 and 1.0mm cable you are fine up to about 80 meters.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 1:30pm

PW has pointed out about Type-C there, nice one

Yes Type-C comply with disconnection times, so do type D, but it's not about disconnection times it's about impedance, if the impedance is right any breaker will disconnect

It's a case of a lower impedance to get type-c or d to trip, therefore you CANNOT really get away with a Type-C 32A breaker on a TN-S, as I've already found by doing some research with a Ze of around 0.7, your Type-C breaker won't trip

For lower Amp's such as 6A/10A it is easy enough to comply and for impedance to meet requirements

IP Logged

cupid

stand&be counted? sod

Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2005, 5:24pm

Sorry to take so long in replying guys,kids have had me jumping through hoops all w/end (bless em Angry) on the strenth of what L SPARK said i popped in to see a lecky friend of  mine he agrees it is possable that it is a faulty mcb, he is going to check it out for me monday,
THANKS TO ALL who time to reply.

cupid

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print