Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 1st, 2024, 3:45am
Quote: Why don't they just make mouse-flavored cat food?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shed wiring (Read 5187 times)
JohnDavies
GDPR opt-out

Shed wiring
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:57pm

It occurs to me that as part of the rewire at the house we have just bought I could run a cable to my shed. While I'm at it I might as well do the lot!

The shed where we are living now was wired some years ago using 6mm flat in 20mm plastic conduit, with solvent welded joints.  It runs under a concrete path at no great depth.  

I have both cable and (some) conduit here, and will need to put down a path, so doing the same again would seem to make financial sense.

Can I do this, according to current  regs, and if so at what depth, or do I have to go down the armoured route these days?

The shed will just have a RCD socket  and overhead light, all run off the MCB equipped Wylex secondary CU in the garage.

Thanks John D

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Shed wiring
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2005, 12:19am

[quote author=JohnDavies  link=1106697448/0#0 date=1106697448]I have both cable and (some) conduit here, and will need to put down a path, so doing the same again would seem to make financial sense [/quote]
Unfortunately it doesn't make sense from a safety point of view, and why replace the same.

Nope, if it's going to be re-wired it's best done in Steel Wire Armoured Cable (SWA)

6mm 3-core would serve well, buried direct in concrete at a minimum depth of 60cm

Quote:
or do I have to go down the armoured route these days?

Yes, better option

Quote:
The shed will just have a RCD socket  and overhead light, all run off the MCB equipped Wylex secondary CU in the garage

2.5mm SWA would be enough then, however best to put in at 6mm to allow for expansion in the future

« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2005, 12:20am by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JohnDavies
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2005, 12:34am

Unfortunately it doesn't make sense from a safety point of view, and why replace the same.

Sorry didn't make myself clear.

The shed at our current- tenanted - house - is wired in 6mm.  I was thinking to do the same to wire up the shed in the house we have just bought, which I am currenly rewiring.

I might just run an extension lead in a hosepipe.... Grin Grin Grin Shocked Shocked Shocked

Serioussly, looks like the SWA route.

Thanks

John D
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2005, 12:37am by tjohndavies »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2005, 12:46am

Sorry, my mistake, best use some SWA, made for the job

IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:25pm

Ironic isn't it - extension lead in a hosepipe would be perfectly legal.

Properly terminated SWA buried at the appropriate depth would be illegal unless you have the LABC people come and inspect it.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:30pm

[quote author=ban-all-sheds  link=1106697448/0#4 date=1107433558]Ironic isn't it - extension lead in a hosepipe would be perfectly legal.

Properly terminated SWA buried at the appropriate depth would be illegal unless you have the LABC people come and inspect it. [/quote]
Yea, I blame the government, there far too expensive and cause far too much trouble  Wink Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:31pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Learner Turner

If it ain't broke - take
it apart to find out
why!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:56pm

[quote author=ban-all-sheds  link=1106697448/0#4 date=1107433558]Ironic isn't it - extension lead in a hosepipe would be perfectly legal.

Properly terminated SWA buried at the appropriate depth would be illegal unless you have the LABC people come and inspect it. [/quote]

The lunatics realy have taken over the asylum......

The 3 golden rules of engineering&&1) It always breaks when you need it most.&&2) It works better if you plug it in.&&3) If all else fails - read the instructions.
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 7:44pm

Annoyingly, my leccy wholesaler doesn't sell hosepipe  Angry

lol  Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 7:57pm

mmm what about making an extention lead out of SWA?

get some 1.5mm or 2.5mm 3 core swa

at one end gland it into a metalclad socket and earth the armour

at the other end terminate the outer sheath and armour under adhisive lined heatshrink and take the packing and inner cores straight into a plug.

can anyone see any problems with a lead like this?

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 8:21pm

earthing the armour at the socket end would be impossible without incorporating it into the fixed installation. You'd have to earth the armout via the supply plug top to make it a temporary affair. I reckon if you wanted something part P proof you should go for SY03 taking an earth tail from the gland to the plug top.

To be honest if you're getting all twisted up trying to avoid Part P like that then the wheels will fly off the waggon sometime. If it's going to be used alot then it's worth the dosh to get it done right, if not then keep it simple and light so you can roll it up when done.  Stick an SRCD on the socket end. There's all sorts of other factors like EFLI and the like which will need to be sorted too.

If Part P is the problem then get TT in and he'll sort it last November. Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2005, 1:42am

[quote author=Beanzy  link=1106697448/0#9 date=1107462092]

If Part P is the problem then get TT in and he'll sort it last November. Wink [/quote]

lmao

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print