Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 1st, 2024, 10:06am
Quote: Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Employing an electrician (Read 9853 times)
TwoSheds

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Employing an electrician
Oct 28th, 2004, 12:27am

I've had my house inspected by an NICEIC approved company who have given me a list of improvements to be made and a quote.  The company are only approved to do "initial verification and/or Periodic Inspection".  Can they do the job?  How do I know if a company/electrician is competent and what completion certificates etc do they have to provide?  Anything else I need to check?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Re: Employing an electrician
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2004, 1:33am

well, get a few quotes not just the one
there are plenty of good sparks on this forum- many cover london and would probrably quote you for work
the next best way of finding a electrician is by word of mouth from family /or your mates
niceic means they will be qualifyed
but dosnt mean they are any better that somone who isnt niceic approved so dont be put off
personly i wouldent reccomend you look in yellow pages or the like

what have they quoted you and for what?
im not far out of london and will tell you if they are taking the mickey!

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2004, 8:14pm

Hey TwoSheds

As supersparks said really, some more info on the improvments stated and quotes given would be helpfull, then we can better advise you.

« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2004, 8:14pm by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

TwoSheds

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2004, 9:52am

Thanks for all the replies.  The quote is for £795 to "rectify all faults in section F of NICEIC periodic report".  I need to get full details of work proposed but the main things are that RCD at present covers all circuits so I assume I will need a new split CU, and insufficient sockets in all rooms & supp bonding.
My orig question was about the qualifications needed by the electrician/company. If I employ someone to install a gas boiler I need to make sure they are CORGI registered.  But whats the equivalent with electricians? and will this change next year?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2004, 11:16am

Until Jan there are no requirements - NICEIC are the most popular trade body, but does not mean that their work will definately be sound, or that a non-member's work will be dangerous.
Supplementary bonding is the only item from your list that needs attention straightaway.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2004, 6:26pm

Yep, there's nothing you mention that needs urgent attention apart from the bonding.
An RCD supplying the complete board is just an inconvenience. Split-load is better but not compulsory.

Number of skts? Up to you, but again, this is not a non-compliance.

Suitable electrician? Ask for City & Gulds 2381 and 2391 as a minimum. Also ensure that the guy has Public Liability insurance.

NICEICE etc? Just bells & whistles, and remember who is paying for the fancy logo on his van - YOU!

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2004, 6:28pm

BTW - You wouldn't be Arthur 'Two-Sheds' Jackson would you?

Two-sheds are better than one - you know it makes sense!

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2004, 11:02pm

The number of socket recommendations are advisory, suggested by the NHBC amongst others.  The only mention in the regs is that there should be sufficient numbers asto remove the need for long trailing flexes which could be a tripping hazard.

Like your comment about silence, TT!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2004, 2:51pm

£795!! typical NIC company rip off charges! All the work you describe can be done for half that even in London.

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

tellondon
Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2004, 4:25pm

Two sheds didnt mention how many extra sockets they were planning to add Ray and that could include changing the board to a split load RCD board,so i wouldnt jump to conclutions and say the price is unfair as it really depends on the amount of sockets they were planning to add

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2004, 8:17pm

Now that is true Tellondon (SmartMan). OK comment withdrawn with apologies to all those lovely NICEIC Members.

RR (to be NAPIT Member)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2004, 1:46am

lol Ray, wasnt exactly that bad  Wink

Maybe a few quid here or there, but who knows whats to be done as tell said  Smiley

IP Logged

TwoSheds

Reply #12 - Dec 13th, 2004, 4:54pm

Thanks everyone for your help.  I have now had another quote from a local lectrician and he laughed at the first quote because he said there was no requirement to install extra sockets or put in a split load CU. Just as TT said. He is going to do the x-bonding and sup bonding etc. and install a SELV humidity fan in the wall above the shower for £275.
sparkyjonny - They call me TwoSheds because I once had an old Anderson Shelter as a shed and then I built a nice new brick one, so for a time I had two sheds.
TS

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TwoSheds

Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2005, 12:06am

I've had the work done at last. The first PIR had said the meter leads are undersized (16mm) and was coded 1 (urgent). The NICEIC lectrician who did the improvements said the Wylex CU (6 way 3036 I think) would not take 25mm cables so he was happy to give me a PIR with no recommendations. So one is saying it's dangerous and one is saying it's safe.  Who is right?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #14 - Feb 5th, 2005, 1:47am

[quote author=TwoSheds  link=1098919645/0#13 date=1107561977]I've had the work done at last [/quote]
Finnaly  Grin

Quote:
The first PIR had said the meter leads are undersized (16mm) and was coded 1 (urgent)

Only urgent if you had 100A fuse, which I strongly doubt

Quote:
The NICEIC lectrician who did the improvements said the Wylex CU (6 way 3036 I think) would not take 25mm cables

True, best to rip out old 3036 boards, I was doing a job and needed to upgrade earthing, wouldnt take the 16mm earth, that was them out with.

Quote:
So one is saying it's dangerous and one is saying it's safe.  

Intresting, Shouldnt be this way, were they both NICEIC?, either way they are often touting for business, on the other hand tho you should definatly have that board changed!

Quote:
Who is right?

Which ever one suit's you best  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #15 - Feb 5th, 2005, 3:47am

16mm tails are slightly underrated for a 100A service fuse and fine for any lower service fuse

many recs quite happilly use them for the rec tails with 100A service fuses and i cant see major issues in practice unless you are pulling 100A solidly for hours on end.

its not a serious issue however the wylex standard CU probablly implies lack of RCD protection and as such should probably be replaced anyway.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #16 - Feb 5th, 2005, 9:52pm

[quote author=TwoSheds  link=1098919645/0#13 date=1107561977]So one is saying it's dangerous and one is saying it's safe.  Who is right? [/quote]

Seeing at how sparky's argue about the finer points of some of the regulations and the fact that the regs don't go down to the nth detail about every single situation there will always be situations where personal opinion and experience takes over. Also not every spark has exactly the same amount of experience or commitment to the job so they will do the same job differently either due to time/job pressures or lack of experience.

So they're probably both right.  ???

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print