Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 2:56pm
Quote: 640K ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates, 1981.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
3 pole fan isolating switch (Read 5185 times)
braychurchmouse
GDPR opt-out

3 pole fan isolating switch
Feb 1st, 2005, 1:07pm

Hi, could anybody point me to Regulations (in simple terms) re use of this. ie why is it 3 pole...does this mean it disconnects earth  Shocked .

For bathroom use I was just planning to put a two pole isolating switch OUTSIDE bathroom, but my local TLC says this 3 pole switch should be INSIDE bathroom ...and not to bother anyway unless its new build.

I tried Googling "BS 3676" "BS EN 60947-3" but I just get list of people making or selling the switch. Also tried http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/bs7671.cfm but got myself lost!!

The Crabtree catalog says "Provides local isolation of fans with or without timers whilst the rest of the circuit remains live. Enables repair or routine maintenance of fans. 240V only.For full details of compliance with BS EN 60947-3 see Technical Data page 107. "

But p107 is not much help.  Sad

Thanks in advance to all responders.

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: 3 pole fan isolating switch
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2005, 2:00pm

[quote author=braychurchmouse  link=1107263245/0#0 date=1107263245]Hi, could anybody point me to Regulations (in simple terms) re use of this. ie why is it 3 pole...does this mean it disconnects earth  Shocked [/quote]
Firstly I don't believe this is a requirement of BS 7671, more a new requirement that NICEIC have set

We never disconnect the earth, earth always remains connected, the 3-poles are for a permanent live, a switched live, and a neutral

Quote:
For bathroom use I was just planning to put a two pole isolating switch OUTSIDE bathroom, but my local TLC says this 3 pole switch should be INSIDE bathroom ...and not to bother anyway unless its new build.

3-Pole isolators are for fan's with a timer usually, the isolator switch should be located outside the bathroom e.g. above door, I don't think you can put one inside the bathroom and still comply with BS7671 bathroom zones

Quote:
I tried Googling "BS 3676" "BS EN 60947-3" but I just get list of people making or selling the switch. Also tried http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/bs7671.cfm but got myself lost!!

Here's a link to a 3-pole fan isolater
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=66284&id=12319

Quote:
The Crabtree catalog says "Provides local isolation of fans with or without timers whilst the rest of the circuit remains live. Enables repair or routine maintenance of fans. 240V only.For full details of compliance with BS EN 60947-3 see Technical Data page 107. "

Yep, for local isolation to conduct maintenance or repair, usually for use with timers, but use them for what you like

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

braychurchmouse
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:13am

Thanks for the comprehensive reply L Spark. That really clears things up for me. Smiley Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

buckholst

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2005, 8:59pm

Just to clarify two poles of the switch are used to disconnect the live feed from the lighting circuit and the neutral feed the 3rd pole is used to disconnect the non switched live required for either run on or humidistat controls (if the fan has them).  The earth conductor cpc should never be switched.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2005, 12:17am

the only time an earth should be switched is when using a supply changeover switch with supplies whose earthing systems must not be connected.

in this case it must be ensured by the design of the changeover switch that earth breaks last and mates first.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

buckholst

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2005, 11:41am

Good point well made, but an unlikely scenario for a bathroom?
Smiley
Cheers.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2005, 4:07pm

lol, yea PW does that, but there's no harm knowing the requirements for nuclear power station switching for you're home sweet home  Cheesy

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print