Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 1:57pm
Quote: Why is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New connection (Read 3798 times)
tank90

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

New connection
Feb 15th, 2005, 10:36pm

I Have just been renovating a small cottage that is semi-detached. The half I have been renovating has not been occupied for 30 years but the other half is and hence has mains power. I have asked the electricty board (Central Networks) for a new connection they have given me a quote saying they need to install a bigger transformer (at a cost of £5,000). The cottage is in a rural location with the current transformer mounted on a pole that serves the occupied half. The cottage is to be heated by a dual boiler to provide hot water and central heating (9kW model). Surely the existing transformer can provide power for 2 small 2 bedroom cottages. Does anyone know what rating the transformers come in 12kW, 24kW...
Thanks in advance.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: New connection
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2005, 11:51pm

I couldn’t say specifics without knowing about the transformer, but the chances are that it really cannot handle the extra demand on it...

Transformers in these rural area's often are paid for by the people who need the supply, or at least part of the cost, and the REC are not likely to fit anything much bigger than it needs to be

I would say that I'm not at all surprised by what they have said..

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2005, 12:42am

this is one of the bigger shams in the way leccy distribution works.

when a transformer is big and supplies tens or hundreds of houses and that transformer gets overloaded you don't have to pay for the upgrade

when it only serves one or two houses you generally do if you want any form of supply upgrade.

my guess is the transformer probally would supply both of you but depending on use they can gaurantee it and they don't wan't the pair of you causing it to be overloaded and each of you blaming it on the other one.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2005, 6:58am

Actually pluggie I can see some logic in the RECs position, surprising though it may be.

If the leccy company upgrade a transformer which serves many homes then it stands to reason that they will get payback quickly from providing power to all those homes.

Whereas upgrading a transformer to serve just one or two properties means that the cost would have to be distributed across the entire region. Would I want to pay for an upgrade to some remote rural cottage when I live in the suburbs? No I wouldn't.

It would be a real shame if that transformer suffered a catastrophe though.....they'd have to replace it. Can't you get a friendly farmer to swipe it with his tractor as he's going past? Grin

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2005, 8:52pm

now that is a well used tecnique... blodey good idea

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

Stoday
Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2005, 2:42am

The rule is that you can increase your maximum power requirement by up to 25% for free. Once only.

The chances of the DNO having your original application, on which you would have stated the power requirement, is zilch, so think of a number you can currently take, say you want 25% more & they will have to upgrade for free.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2005, 2:45am

lol, somehow I really doubt that is going to work with them Stoday  Wink

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Stoday
Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2005, 5:34pm

Oh ye of little faith -

Read about it on the DNO's web site. You need to look for "Connection Statement" - the terms for connection which they are required to publish under  their distribution  licence.
Then find "Reinfoircement" for the  terms for reinforcement.

As  an example, here is EDF's for London:

Reinforcement of the existing system (which for this purpose means works occasioned by the new or augmented connection, but not required for its sole use) will be included in the connection charge, subject to the following:

No charge will normally be made for reinforcement of the existing distribution system if the new or increased load requirement does not exceed 25% of the existing effective capacity at the relevant points on the system (the ‘25% rule’).

NOTE 1: Previous related increases will be taken into account in deciding whether the aggregate load requirement meets the 25% rule. NOTE 2: Where we have reason to believe that an application for connection forms part of a larger project we will use the aggregate capacity of the

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2005, 11:00pm

Round here they just stick a few grain crushers & a few extra storage heaters on the things until they pop. then you go from your 5Kw (yup really Roll Eyes ) to an 11kW. The fact that there were only 3 houses when the old one went in and now there are 8 following barn conversions etc also helps.

That's what happened ours.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print