Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 4:32pm
Quote: Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying - Arthur C. Clarke

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My rewire. Again (Read 3127 times)
JohnD
GDPR opt-out

My rewire. Again
Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:14pm

My rewire is now in extra time but I am nearly there - just before the March deadline.

Two things.

Am I right in saying that there are different types of earth clamps and that I need an external one to bond direct to my Gas supply - the meter is in one of those horrible external plastic boxes.  

Also, all the cables are routed to the CU (which is under the stairs)  from beneath the floorboards; they then run behind the skirting board up behind the Company Fuseboard.

There is however a 4 1/2 inch gap between fuseboard and skirting where they are visible - all eight of them, side by side.  

Should I sheath them, and if so in what, or just clip them to the wall?  Currently they are loose.  The old ones (now removed) were held to the wall by many layers of gloss paint, but I don't want to do that...........

Thanks

JohnD.

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:16pm by tjohndavies »  

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: My rewire. Again
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:27am

Heya John!

[quote author=JohnD  link=1109114051/0#0 date=1109114051]Am I right in saying that there are different types of earth clamps [/quote]
Yes, there are Interiour and exteriour clamps

Quote:
and that I need an external one to bond direct to my Gas supply - the meter is in one of those horrible external plastic boxes

No, you may bond it where it enter's inside the house

Quote:
Also, all the cables are routed to the CU (which is under the stairs)  from beneath the floorboards; they then run behind the skirting board up behind the Company Fuseboard

There is however a 4 1/2 inch gap between fuseboard and skirting where they are visible - all eight of them, side by side.  

Should I sheath them, and if so in what, or just clip them to the wall?  Currently they are loose.  The old ones (now removed) were held to the wall by many layers of gloss paint, but I don't want to do that...........

With regard to you're Twin sheathed cables, wasn’t sure that it complied to run behind the skirting, but leaving that aside, where the cables run up exposed, the normal thing would be to have them in some plastic Trunking of some description, otherwise they run the risk of being damaged..

Holding cables to the wall with gloss paint is a no no, alternatively to using Trunking you can clip the cable's, but again this means there not mechanically protected

Sheathing cables that are already sheathed (I hope) is not normal practice

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:29am by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JohnD
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:03am

Very helpful - thanks

I will buy an external clamp as otherwise an internal one would be too far away from the meter, and take the skirting off at this point and put in trunking.Thanks
JohnD

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:25am

BS7671 is ok with it inside but the gas guys prefer if it's earthed in the box. I normally do it like that if it's not accessible inside just to keep everyone happy. You need a seperate hole from the gas pipe one, normally those horrid boxes come with a knock-out or grommet to allow the 10mm cable through.

Have a shufti at  http://www.niceic.org.uk/approved/quest8.html
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:39am by Beanzy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:45pm

lol, gas guys a pain in the ... beanzy, I couldn’t care less myself, I'm not hear to satisfy corgi men and there gas bonding forms, especially the NICEIC one's..

Just recently one I’m working on has cross bonding to all the pipes, but because it's not right under the boiler, they assume it’s not there, well I took the time to do loop probe tests on the pipes, to establish if there was an earth path, which there was, and then subsequently found the earth cable's further down the building..

Considering this heating company was NIC registered they should be doing better..

IP Logged

greg
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 2:15pm

so long as the bonding on the gas pipe is within 600 mm of the meter and visible theres no problems

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2005, 2:27pm

[quote author=greg  link=1109114051/0#5 date=1109168109]so long as the bonding on the gas pipe is within 600 mm of the meter and visible theres no problems [/quote]
Where Practicable....
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:15pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print