Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 1:30pm
Quote: Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Connecting Earth wire(s) to metal back box (Read 23510 times)
braychurchmouse
GDPR opt-out

Connecting Earth wire(s) to metal back box
Mar 4th, 2005, 10:56pm

I am a bit confused about what the regs require and what is good practise when connecting the earth wires as they come into a metal back box, especially when using metal sockets and switches.

I had always been told you connect the two earth wires from your ring wires as they emerge into the box into the terminal IN THE BOX. Then you connect a wire (all sleeved green/yellow of course - or whatever newfangled colour is current) from the box terminal to the switch/socket earth terminal.

That always seemed daft to me because if the socket casing became live, I would have thought it better to have a more direct path from the touchable cover of the socket to the earth wires in the ring main by connecting the two earths from the wiring DIRECTLY to the socket. The box could then be earthed by a wire from the sockets earth terminal to the terminal on the back box. The socket would be directly earthed to the ring through only ONE connection and the box would be earthed through two connections.

Or does it make any difference which way you do it.???

Now to my big question....I have a similar dilema with the wiring of a 45 Amp double pole stainless steel cooker switch (which is the type that incorporates a 13 Amp socket). I am using 10mm cable (some of you may remember a previous post discussing which to use) and have a 47mm box, slightly recessed. all of which means I have to be very tidy in the box to fit everything in....made a bit more challenging because I am using one of those trendy flat flush front switches which go back deeper into the box.

So in this case do I connect both 10mm earth cables that emerge from the wall into the terminal in the back box??? ... which isn't really big enough to take TWO 10mm cables .....And then run an earth wire from that terminal to the switch.

That does not make sense as there are TWO earth terminals on the switch that look as though they are designed to take the cable, easily accomodating 10mm...and common sense would say its better to have the socket casing directly connected to the earth wires. Then I guess i just connect a sleeved wire from one of the switch terminals to the terminal on the back box.

I even wonder what the point of connecting the switch earth to the back box earthing terminal since they will be screwed together anyway. Ok I suppose it protects someone if they unscrewed the socket from the wall while the electricity was on and there was a bridge from the live wire to the box as it entered the box....so it would trip out and not make the box live.

Enough rambling...any comments from the pros??? ... and once again thanks in advance for the super response that this discussion board provides. Well done folk!! ( I was going to say "chaps" .. but there must be some lady electricians out there Smiley )

IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: Connecting Earth wire(s) to metal back box
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2005, 12:31am

I wish you luck with the job! I had a 10.00mm cable into a cooker point job a week or two ago and it was a real pain to terminate the cable and push the switch front back far enough to get the cover screws in.
47mm surface patrass and ordinary white plastic coioker point - I damn near split the thing in half trying to shove it back!
Trick is to leave plenty of 'spare' so it folds neatly. Also, you may find that you'll have to abandon your existing plan and just fit a cooker switch without the socket because there may not be enough room.

Flat plate types are even worse since they go even further back!

Earthing? 10mm T&E has a 6mm cpc. I'd use both earth terminals on the switch, and then run a 1.5 single to the back box from one of them - job sorted.

Hope this helps

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2005, 10:49pm

[quote author=braychurchmouse  link=1109977002/0#0 date=1109977002]I had always been told you connect the two earth wires from your ring wires as they emerge into the box into the terminal IN THE BOX. Then you connect a wire (all sleeved green/yellow of course - or whatever newfangled colour is current) from the box terminal to the switch/socket earth terminal. [/quote]
Nonononono.

For sockets, FCUs, flex outlets, cooker isolators etc - anything in fact that has an earth terminal to supply an earth to the connected appliance, you absolutely must connect the circuit cable(s) to the accessory earth terminal, and then run a flylead to the earth terminal of the box.  Only when the accessory doesn't have an earth terminal of its own (e.g. a light switch) do you connect the circuit cpc to the box.

If the accessory has a metal faceplate, then you should also run a flylead to its local earth terminal.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

braychurchmouse
Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2005, 12:36am

Thanks Trician and B-a-S...... that makes a lot of sense and ties in with what I would have thought was the correct/best way of doing it...and I must confess is the way I have always done it.
Tomorrow I will be struggling to get that pesky monster 10mm cable into the 47mm box, though I did set it back about another 5mm from the plaster surface so I have some extra depth.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2005, 1:46pm

Quote:
For sockets, FCUs, flex outlets, cooker isolators etc - anything in fact that has an earth terminal to supply an earth to the connected appliance, you absolutely must connect the circuit cable(s) to the accessory earth terminal, and then run a flylead to the earth terminal of the box.

That cleared that up nicely  8)

Quote:
I had a 10.00mm cable into a cooker point job a week or two ago and it was a real pain to terminate the cable and push the switch front back far enough to get the cover screws in

I assume you kept the T+E sheath as little as possible, e.g. only 20mm into back of box, then it's easier to do, saying that I hate pattress altogether, worked with too much PVC to like pattress now
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2005, 1:51pm by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2005, 6:32pm

20mm - nearly an inch!  Keep it shorter Wink

I dont think there is a hard-fast rule about where to take the earth cable first, although everyone I work with would take it to the front plate, and swing a fly lead back to the box.

These galv back boxes are getting so cheap, so very often the earth terminal is very poor.  I wouldn't want to rely on it as a join between two cables.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2005, 6:55pm

Quote:
20mm - nearly an inch!  Keep it shorter

I wouldn't want to upset anyone  Wink

Afterall, we don't want to get into another debate altogether  Roll Eyes

Quote:
I dont think there is a hard-fast rule about where to take the earth cable first, although everyone I work with would take it to the front plate, and swing a fly lead back to the box

Yea me too, anyway it's not possible to take it to back box first in most cases as terminal is too small
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2005, 6:56pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2005, 7:19pm

I'm not making a suggestion either way and am happy to leave the actual implementation details to a qualified spark, but my experience realting to removing front panels has been that most metal back boxes don't get earthed at all. The front panel is earthed via the earth bus bar that connects to the screw fixings.

I presume the back boxes depend upon the earth for the back box being made via the metal screws that connect the front plate (either a socket or fused spur), rather than an explicit earth.

Is it recommended practice to explicitly earth the back box these days?

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2005, 7:21pm

Quote:
most metal back boxes don't get earthed at all

All metal boxes, surface or flush, should be earthed, either trough one of the fixed lug's and the screw trough the earth bar, or via an additional earth fly lead..

Boxes with 2 removable lugs require earthing via a fly lead
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2005, 7:23pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2005, 7:37pm

Most sparks put a fly lead in regardless.  What happens when A DIY-er changes a socket, and the socket only has one eye earthed for example?

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2005, 7:45pm

I agree lecc

I was naive once and thought that this box was most likely one with a fixed lug, when I went back to do inspection's, both the lug's were removable, therefor it's safer to fly lead to the back box

Apparantly it can sway reading's when it comes to testing and inspection, but I'm yet to see how that work's out  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2005, 4:16am

[quote author=The_Trician  link=1109977002/0#1 date=1109982680]I wish you luck with the job! I had a 10.00mm cable into a cooker point job a week or two ago and it was a real pain to terminate the cable and push the switch front back far enough to get the cover screws in.
47mm surface patrass and ordinary white plastic coioker point - I damn near split the thing in half trying to shove it back!
Trick is to leave plenty of 'spare' so it folds neatly. Also, you may find that you'll have to abandon your existing plan and just fit a cooker switch without the socket because there may not be enough room. [/quote]
When it comes to 10mm² there's a lot to be said for conduit and singles, so that you don't have any sheath inside the box to worry about, and each core can move about on its own.

What it must be like trying to do 16mm² I can't imagine..

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2005, 7:35am

Well you wouldn't get solid core down small conduit, I think there's a lot to be said for using 25mm conduit

Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2005, 7:36am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2005, 11:35am

You can get 2 x 10mm² and a 6mm² (or even 3 x 10mm² through 20mm OK...

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2005, 4:57pm

If you say so, all depends how many bends/set's or other forms you have, also how many interconecting boxes,/terminal boxes you have, how long the run etc

I assume you have installed these in a conduit system to know it will work?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2005, 4:59pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Total Thanks: 2

Reply #15 - Mar 9th, 2005, 8:00am

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1109977002/0#10 date=1110224741]Apparantly it can sway reading's when it comes to testing and inspection, but I'm yet to see how that work's out  Roll Eyes [/quote]

I had practical experience of this on my NAPIT assessment. The day I installed and tested the stuff there was a bare backbox chopped into a rough-plastered kitchen wall. And it was sunny outside. The next day (assessment day) the box had been plastered-in and it had rained all night. I was a bit dismayed to find my Zs reading at this socket was significantly lower. The inspector said it was almost certainly to do with another parallel earth path via the wet (solid) walls in contact with that back box, which, I confess, had never occurred to me.

Works with earth rods, so why not with wet walls, eh?

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #16 - Mar 9th, 2005, 2:04pm

Strange, was just trying to envisage what you meant, was the backbox on the outside then?  Roll Eyes

weird thing is that water has such a high resistance compared to copper, how can you be getting good/better z's just because there is an earth path trough some water on the wall to the ground, compared to the Zs trough all the copper cables
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2005, 2:09pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #17 - Mar 9th, 2005, 2:51pm

because we are talking very small figures here - less than an ohm.

If water was such a bad conductor,  we would't have all these faults due to damp etc, and we could fit any IP rating outdoors  Grin

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #18 - Mar 9th, 2005, 9:54pm

Less than an ohm??

hmmmmm  Wink

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #19 - Mar 10th, 2005, 7:39am

A socket circuit in a standard house - max Zs 1.2, usually half that!

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #20 - Mar 10th, 2005, 11:31am

Nah I meant the water, water has a high resistance  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #21 - Mar 12th, 2005, 10:59pm

water has a high resistivity compared to metals and the resistance of water in a 1m long domestic pipe is therefore generally high enough to be safe even with addatives in the water.

with your wet wall its not just a straight line down the wall its a huge triangle of wall from your socket to the ground (plus some effects from bits of the wall outside the triangle)

wires cables and pipes have a much larger length than any other dimension this means we can reasonablly approximate them as a wire with a perfect contat to both ends that covers the entire end.

with other shapes of objects the calculation gets much harder.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #22 - Mar 13th, 2005, 12:00am

Yikes, where you been PW!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

oh yea, so in short you're thinking exactly what I'm thinking  Wink Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2005, 12:01am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #23 - Mar 14th, 2005, 7:26am

I thought he was saying you CANT compare it to the research done with pipes ???

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom