Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 10:06pm
Quote: Nothing is illegal if one hundred well-placed business men decide to do it -Andrew Young

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Consumer Isolator (Read 4954 times)
wozzer

The Jurassic Spark

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Consumer Isolator
Mar 20th, 2005, 2:38pm

I'm a qualified Electrician. I did an EITB apprentiship and full City & Guilds etc. I also hold C&G 16th Edition. I don't normally do domestic installs, hence the (probably) stupid questions: I'm currently finishing some extensive building work. I'm replacing the CU and re-wiring a large part of the bungalow.
Q1) Am I ok to fit a 100A Consumer Isolator inbetween the Supply authority cut-out and the new CU?
Q2) Do I have to ask before I pull the authority fuse?
Q3) I started the work in November 2004, Before Part P came in. Can I test it myself (I have access to all required test kit) and fill out a cert as published in the 16th edition, or do I need an Inspection/test by someone else?

Thank User For This Post 22,CARRIAGE+DRIVE,+BIDDULPH View members image gallery  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Consumer Isolator
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2005, 3:58pm

[quote author=wozzer  link=1111329495/0#0 date=1111329495]Q1) Am I ok to fit a 100A Consumer Isolator inbetween the Supply authority cut-out and the new CU? [/quote]
No, that would be on the supply side, you may only add on the consumer's side which is after the supplier's meter

Quote:
Q2) Do I have to ask before I pull the authority fuse?

You should consult them, but if you have no otherway to isolate the supply then you should pull the fuse, it's not legal to work live unless there are strictly no other options

Quote:
Q3) I started the work in November 2004, Before Part P came in. Can I test it myself (I have access to all required test kit) and fill out a cert as published in the 16th edition, or do I need an Inspection/test by someone else?

In you're circumstances you may proceed to complete the work, test, and issue a certificate before end 31st of march

hope this helps
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2005, 3:59pm by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

wozzer

The Jurassic Spark

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2005, 4:04pm

Thanks for the answers L.Spark.
- I'm an REP (responsible electrical person) on an offshore installation normally. - I wouldn't dream of working live! - I'm more used to looking after 30MW of generation than I am to domestics these days.

Another question:
The tails from the supply fuse to the meter look rather insubstantial to me Max 16mm at a guess, but it is difficult to tell. I'll be putting in 25mm from the meter to the new CU, do I need to get the authority to upgrade their tails?
- Oh, and I guess I'm ok to put the 100A switch in after the meter?

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2005, 4:12pm

[quote author=wozzer  link=1111329495/0#2 date=1111334671]Thanks for the answers L.Spark.
- I'm an REP (responsible electrical person) on an offshore installation normally. - I wouldn't dream of working live! - I'm more used to looking after 30MW of generation than I am to domestics these days. [/quote]
Oooer, a new word  Grin

Quote:
Another question:
The tails from the supply fuse to the meter look rather insubstantial to me Max 16mm at a guess, but it is difficult to tell

I would think they would be, you could upgrade the tails from fuse and neutral block to the meter, but that would be you're look out as a responsible person  Wink

Quote:
do I need to get the authority to upgrade their tails?

Ideally, could call them, but it seems to be very impractical, I've tried  Grin

Quote:
- Oh, and I guess I'm ok to put the 100A switch in after the meter?

Well you would normally house the 100A Main Switch within the consumer unit enclosure, it's all part of the board..
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2005, 4:13pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

wozzer

The Jurassic Spark

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2005, 4:18pm

Out-of Date (a bit) I am, hence the questions!
Thanks for the answers Smiley
Regarding the Isolator, I just wondered if it was worth sticking a separate one in to isolate the incoming side of the CU....In retrospect, it probably isn't.
- Just had my "REP" head on I guess Wink
Thanks again.

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2005, 4:21pm

Well...you see.. totaly pointless, because to fit that switch dead, you would need to isolate the supply..

And to fit you're consumer unit switch just the same, no point having two switches..

btw when you say Quote:
just wondered if it was worth sticking a separate one in to isolate the incoming side of the CU

the board should have an isolater internal where you connect the tails too...
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2005, 4:22pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2005, 9:56pm

note: replacing the tails from the cutout to the meter will almost certainly involve exposing a live terminal

not that its a bad idea if the rec tails are shitty just got to be carefull

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2005, 12:55am

Quote:
not that its a bad idea if the rec tails are s**tty

Well usualy undersized, unless you get vir, or where the plasticizer has gone all runny and the cables stick like anything  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2005, 12:59am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

wozzer

The Jurassic Spark

Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2005, 4:02pm

Just as an update:

I went for it in the end and fitted a separate 100A DP switch in an IP54 enclosure between the CU and the meter. It does mean that I can work on any part of the CU without having to pull the supply authority fuse should I wish to do so. - It's my "industrial" background I guess, I like to see a feeder isolation device as well as one on the consumer end.

I chickened out of replacing the tails from the authority fuse/Neutral to the meter, even though I think they are a bit under sized. - Might do it later though  Wink

Yes, a live terminal is exposed when the authority fuse is pulled; I fitted a z-shaped cover of 1/8" thick polyethelene which I made specially for the job. It blanked off the live terminal whilst the fuse was out (and kept me safe!).

- Interestingly, the seal wire was long enough for me to withdraw the authority fuse without breaking the seal. The meter one wasn't, however. I have tried phoning the supplier etc. but no-one seems interested in coming out to replace the broken seal on the meter!

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Apr 11th, 2005, 10:04pm

Quote:
I like to see a feeder isolation device as well as one on the consumer end.

Yep, the REC should fit them in the first place, think they might do on new builds..

Quote:
I fitted a z-shaped cover of 1/8" thick polyethelene which I made specially for the job

Nice bit of engineering work there!  Grin

Quote:
Interestingly, the seal wire was long enough for me to withdraw the authority fuse without breaking the seal. The meter one wasn't, however. I have tried phoning the supplier etc. but no-one seems interested in coming out to replace the broken seal on the meter!

Yea, had a few that were long too, but often had to snip to change the meter tails where they've been undersized, and like you, called up several times and first off no one would admit it was there supply! (yea like the bill goes to no one.. ), then eventualy got some one arranged from metering services to re-seal, but they never came  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2005, 10:09pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print