Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 6:47pm
Quote: What makes him think a middle aged actor, who's played with a chimp, could have a future in politics? - Ronald Reagan

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
consumer unit (Read 2641 times)
stevelyn

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

consumer unit
Mar 23rd, 2005, 9:06pm

Hello,
Our cooker/hob fuse tripped then blew whilst her indoors was cooking dinner. It has done this once before, when the oven/hob and extractor were all on at once. I can`t replace the fuse, as i`m told its dated and you can`t get them any more. I`ve been advised to have a new consumer unit fitted. We only have 6 fuses at the moment, ie 2x5amp, 2x15 and 2x30 amp. Any idea why it should blow, and any idea how much it will cost to have a new consumer unit fitted. We live in staffs.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Re: consumer unit
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 9:34pm

any chance of a piccy of the unit? and /or a fuse?

i have loadsa old ones but i cant think of any actuly being discontinued ???

you probrably do need a new ccu, anything with fuses these days is advised to, the exeption is industry where they are still used.

you would be looking at arround £350 i would imagine, im based near watford

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2005, 2:15am

lol, theres loads discontinued, but sometimes you can pay trough the teeth and get old bits, or you mightttt be lucky and find some one with something (ebay), but I would upgrade to a consumer unit housing miniture circuit breakers anyway

fuses can be just plain dangerous, and too much aggro, finding correct fuse, or using incorrect fuse and risking fire, inconvenience etc

Quote:
Any idea why it should blow

yea, overload, short circuit, or fault's, but likely overload, unless you have a fault, any of these are possible
Quote:
the exeption is industry where they are still used.

surely in cartridge type where they have high breaking capacities, domestic fuses are a bit useless in that department
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2005, 8:57pm by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2005, 4:51am

Or if it's a Wylex you can buy GE plug-in MCBs to retro-fit. about £6-£8.

If you're on fuses you probably don't have an RCD on the socket outlets, and that alone makes an upgrade worthwhile from a safety point of view. When you do get quotes in, make sure they'll upgrade any earthing and bonding as required in the price, get them to come an have a look first so they know what's required, as there may be more to be done than just the consumer unit.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2005, 4:47pm

ls, im giving some general info, you dont have to go to such length to be to the point correct, i doubt they will ever have to go and fix any bs 88 fuses or such in industry, so kept it short.

and not many fuses get discontinued, infact i cant think of any that i cant get hold of.

mcbs are different, but fuses, no, domestic ones....

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print