Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 1st, 2024, 3:07pm
Quote: History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
brickies (Read 7402 times)
yozman

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

brickies
Mar 26th, 2005, 3:16pm

been quoted £1500  for laying 2000 bricks 350 blocks
garage extension straight forward 1sided extension lean to roof 5.8 x 3.1 to exsisting gable end wall footings etc already done is this price fair says will take a week 2 brickies 1 labourer

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Re: brickies
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2005, 5:04pm

I don't know about Rotherham prices but that's about right for South Bucks.

It's an easy week for a 2+1 gang, I reckon they'll be finished on day 4.

I assume this is labour only?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2005, 6:28pm

Obviously the brickies will get more than the labourer, but a very simple calculation is £500 per week, per person. Or £100 a day.

That might be the going rate (I don't know), but it comes across to me as being on the low side. Other tradespeople charge £200-£300 a day. When I was operating I based my charges on £150 a day, that didn't include brickying.

HM
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2005, 6:28pm by HM »  

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2005, 6:39pm

but this isn't 5 days work.  

I could do this on my own in 5/6 days (with a labourer)

If these guys are any good and get on with it they could be done in three days (3 hard days though)

labourer would get about £70 per day

so the brickies should be earning over £200 per day
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2005, 6:41pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2005, 12:44am

JERRYD is right, not even a weeks work for a decent brickie and a labourer, especially as it is a simple job, even if there is a door/window reveals, end and centre piers, with straight runs, once the corners are pulled up, then the courses run in, it should take a good brickie no more than 3-4 days tops... the only variable which you would need to think of in terms of materials is the blocks, if solid concrete over 6" wide, then you can not go more than 8 course high per day, with out the risk of "swimming" due to the weight loading on the muck!!
my old man reckons a good brickie should lay down about 6-800 face per day, and with blocks if thermos/light weights, the 350 should easily go in a day...
well they did with his crowd.... (for those that know my ol' man from previous trade web sites... has over 50 plus years as a brickies/stone mason behind him, and still refuses to fully retire!!!!! started at 13 is now 72 going on 73!!!!  blimey nearly 60 soddin' years pop!! Grin

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

chappers
Trade Member

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2005, 7:40pm

would aggree as has been said don't know about rotherham but no 2 and 1 gang around oxford would work for £300 a day but as has been said the job should only be about 3 days work

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2005, 12:09am

and if they use Blake profiles they'll be in the van going home at lunchtime on day 3

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2005, 2:41am

[quote author=JerryD  link=1111850174/0#6 date=1112051355]Blake profiles [/quote]

?

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2005, 3:19pm

toys for the NON-pro brickies, or the inept, as my ol' man calls 'em!! they are pre marked with courses, and assist with building up the returns/corners!! Undecided Undecided

p.s. sorry if my ol' man's comment upsets some of you younger brickies, but he's VERY old school..(slate and chalk merchant), in the days of setting out by hand... you know when houses were REAL!! as he calls it!!!
and he can still lay up a return by eye to within about 1/8".... flash.G*t
Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2005, 5:55pm

[quote author=WOLF  link=1111850174/0#8 date=1112105968]toys for the NON-pro brickies, or the inept, as my ol' man calls 'em!! they are pre marked with courses, and assist with building up the returns/corners!! Undecided Undecided

[/quote]

total bollocks!

Blakes increase productivity enormously as there are no corners to build.

They are NOT pre marked, you put your gauge on them to suit your job.

I've used them for 25+ years.  The first day I got them I had a 4+2 gang and within an hour the (pre-loaded) scaffold was empty of bricks!  The hoddies could not keep up.

It was then I knew these things were going to earn me tons of kerchiiiiing  Grin

Don't forget we get paid on results, not the method used.  Why spend half an hour building up a silly little corner with about 50 bricks in it when you can be running the line and laying 100 bricks?

I've since had some custom made ones made for me by Blakes, extra long to avoid using the extension pieces.

Blakes are very useful when using irregular bricks such as stocks as these rough bricks are almost impossible to level on a corner due to their bumpiness.  Blakes ignore that as you lay to the line right into the corner.

Projection is easy too (say a pier on a corner returning for tile hanging) as a projection line puts the line exactly where you want it, no plumbing, no tapping, no levelling.

When I'm bricklaying I reckon they earn me an easy £300 a week EXTRA over the 'manual' method.

Anyone who says they're rubbish has either never tried them properly or is so set in their ways they probably still knock the muck up by hand  Shocked

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2005, 6:11pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2005, 8:05pm

I just knew that it would rattle a cage or two!!!!
Right, and anyone can check if they so wish...... BLAKES PROFILES as Jerry D kindly points out,is a NON marked profiling system...(and they were established in 1966, as an all metal profile system which has been improved on ever since......(and still is!!)  the company WHICH OWNS the copyright to them , "BLAKES BUILDING PRODUCTS... which is a subsiduary of a larger steel in buildings corperation FROM the USA!!!! has like any company bought and sold companies to suit there needs, )
how ever, the original "PROFILE SYSTEM" BY BLAKE!!! (and that would be Reginald .D. BLAKE the "master bricklayer!!) was a pre-marked wooden affair which dated back to the early 50's, and was used to bring up corners.....My ol' man's company DID try them , found them to be a waste of time,
BUT like i said, my ol' man IS  73... and has been laying bricks , (and started as an apprentice) since  he was 12..(AND YES MOST MUCK WAS KNOCKED UP BY HAND THEN>>) like you did in them days.. and at his height had just over 400 brickies, and 200 labourers upon his books, , like what he said, building REAL buildings, monster sized ware houses, power stations, complete housing estates, which had no timber framed tops, or tile hung areas, just pure brick and solid block from top to bottom, and all internal walls were the old clinker blocks, or the ash blocks... and in them days time WAS money, as they used to let them settle for the regulated 6 months before you could move in!!!!! companies like Croudace, wimpy, bovis C>E>G>B> were all glad of the ol' mans co when he ran it..
And as one old apprentice of his, who i now do the odd bit of turning for states, "we would go home with our F**kin' fingers bleedin cos of 'ow 'ard he'd push us lot!!!

The modern Blakes Profiles, may make life a lot easier for the newer generations with these new fangled homes etc.. and as YOU stated JD..  making you  lots of KERCHING (sorry if i spelt it wrongly!!)
but when he "semi-retired a few years ago, He had 2 homes(no mortgages, new top line motor each year, and 2 crusies a year, and only on P & O's top ships, Med and CARIB ) but like he states, it was harder in them days, no new fangled machines... no electric hoists, no power this or that... no additives in the muck, lime mortar mixes etc, an old empty oil drum, metal bucket, and a length of rope in HIS DAYS!!!!
he even has a very grainy photo of two shire horses bought in to break up the ground with a plough for the groundsmen to start digging the footings!!!! J.C. WHAT!!!

i am sorry if this is a long post, BUT LIKE I SAID ORIGINALLY , IT MIGHT OFFEND SO PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT SO... but some one did!!
but then again, it's like me, i have a good thicknesser/planer, but i'd much rather do a board by hand with a plane and scrapper!!!! Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2005, 9:38pm

no offence taken  Grin

I was just putting the record straight as your post did rather slag off the Blakes idea.

When I bought my first set of Blakes I went to their premises (near Aldermaston I seem to remember) where they had some examples of three course corners already built to 'test' the Blakes.

The guy demo'd the Blake set up, just 60 seconds from start to finish (one Blake) and we were ready to lay bricks  Shocked

A big advantage with them is that you have a 'target' course to aim for.  Say you need to get to hof on an old house with poor brickwork gauging but you can level across from hof to the Blake and measure down.  Divide this by the number of courses and you have a perfectly even gauge from dpc to hof.  None of this "whoops, pick up a bit lads, we're an inch low".  The brickwork always look better for being even courses (where possible) even if you do have to tooth into the poor brickwork at the house end.

We all used to use gauge rods (I still do) and you can think of the Blake as a fixed gauge rod on each corner.

Another thing you can do with them is to build just one reveal up to a frame at a time.  You can't do that with the 'build a corner method' until the second corner is built unless that frame is very close to the corner.  This has proved very useful on extension work where you don't want to attack every part of the job at once.  Every job is different.

Do you get the feeling I like Blakes?  Grin

Anyway Wolf, no offence taken, I just wanted to put the facts out  Cheesy

ps: Blakes are brilliant  Cheesy Cheesy Grin

lol

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2005, 11:05pm

I am truely glad, that no offence was taken, as one thing my timber mentor always harped on about was peace between trades, and i will admit that i like it that way, and NO!!!! i had not noticed one bit that you might like BLAKES.... Wot, no more pig courses, now where's the fun in that!!!!!
LOL Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Undecided Undecided Undecided

one thing them profiles are not any good at, last year i was asked to help the ol' man with a repair to a castle's gate house turret, and all the bricks had been eroded on one side, well, with some new,, hand made bricks(specially made for the job in hand,) i had to carve out each bloody brick by hand,matching up cardboard templates i had taken from the leaward side... with club,scutching chisel and a granite/carb stone to finish each smooth, and then with him bedding everything in lime putty mixed with "leaf" multch mix..(yep you read it right!! LEAVES FROM TREE'S).. the finished job looks stunning, even if i do say so my self...however, the castle dates back over 1000yrs, but the heritage trust that looks after a part of it, took nearly a year to actually realise, we had finished it, and have just had a newspaper article taken out saying how nice it is now the repairs are finished!!!!... strange people!!! Undecided Undecided Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print