Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 11:21am
Quote: Why is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Size of flex (Read 4361 times)
Raptor
GDPR opt-out

Size of flex
Apr 14th, 2005, 11:49pm

I intend putting longer 2 core round flex on a couple of my power tools,the heaviest i can get is 0.75 mm ,however this does not seem as thick as what is already fitted.Will this be ok on drills or handplaners upto 800 watts?

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Size of flex
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2005, 1:00am

Quote:
Will this be ok on drills or handplaners upto 800 watts?

Yep, the differences in flex sizes can be difficult to tell as there so close in size, what’s more the PVC can be a different thickness on different cables, but if it's marked 0.75mm on the cable you're good to go.

Do try to keep the flex as short as is possible as this is recommended practice due to tripping hazards and possible damage to cables.

for you're own reference, flexible cables of the following sizes have the following current carrying capacity's..

0.5mm - 3A (690W)
0.75mm - 6A (1,380W)
1mm - 10A (2,300W)
1.25mm - 13A (2,990W)

But these are strictly for short lengths and only for portable appliances, Flex should not be used for doing fixed wiring in the house as it's not designed or suitable for this.

« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2005, 2:26am by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Raptor
Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2005, 7:02pm

Thanks for that info,couple of tools only have leads of about 6-8 ft ,will replace them with about 15 ft to be able to work around the room without an extension cable.l

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2005, 7:12pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1113518952/0#1 date=1113523211]

Do try to keep the flex as short as is possible as this is recommended practice due to tripping hazards and possible damage to cables.

[/quote]

I prefer longer cables actually.  When up a step ladder you're not trying to balance the extension lead drum up there with all the other paraphernalia you need to hammer on a light fitting  Roll Eyes

btw, my Fein Multimaster has the longest lead I've ever seen on a power tool, it's brilliant.  Cheesy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2005, 2:08am

My drills have invisible leads, they call them battery drills  Grin

IP Logged

santacruz
Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2005, 7:13pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1113518952/0#1 date=1113523211]
Yep, the differences in flex sizes can be difficult to tell as there so close in size, what’s more the PVC can be a different thickness on different cables, but if it's marked 0.75mm on the cable you're good to go.

for you're own reference, flexible cables of the following sizes have the following current carrying capacity's..

0.5mm - 3A (690W)
0.75mm - 6A (1,380W)
1mm - 10A (2,300W)
1.25mm - 13A (2,990W)

[/quote]

Hey LS - so when people start rewiring their final rings  in 1.25mm flex csa (13A) that's OK is it! lol

For you starter for 10 the Zs reading will be about ....

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2005, 2:24am

Yikes, you're a clever girl santacruz, I must stick a note to remind people flex is only suitable for portable appliances in general, else there's going to be a rats nest somewhere  Grin
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2005, 2:25am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print