Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 2:08pm
Quote: To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk - Thomas Edison

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Banning DIY electrical work (Read 25096 times)
ban-all-sheds
GDPR opt-out

Banning DIY electrical work
Mar 29th, 2005, 12:20pm

OK - since I can no longer reply to this posting in its original thread I'll start a new one.

[quote author=HM  link=1111790324/15#16 date=1111861405]

Jim, I am in 100% agreement with you on this subject, even though that would have prevented me from taking on some of the minor work I have been happy to previously. At least then there would be certainty instead of airy-fairy nonsense such as Part P.

When you drive down the road there is certainty that the speed limit is 30mph (or whatever). There is no deliberation about whether you might be competent to drive faster. And I live with that certainty no problem.

I wouldn't actually mind if the government took the same attitude as Australia and other countries, where you can't touch anything unless you are qualified.

HM
[/quote]

It is vital to ask where the accidents removed from the fixed wiring list will go, and your citing of Australia shows how a scheme such as yours can backfire.  A comparison of Australia and New Zealand should be done, as these two countries use the same connectors, same voltages, same earthing methods and have the same basic regulations.

In Australia all fixed wiring has to be done by a registered installer, while in New Zealand most DIY acts are allowed, but newly installed circuits must be inspected by a qualified sparks prior to connection. In 8 out of 10 of the 10 years to 2003, New Zealand has had the lower overall fatality rate from electricity in the home, although accidents from fixed installations are slightly fewer in Australia.
So regulation has worked in one way, Australia's FIXED wiring is indeed safer, but on average between 3 and 4 times more people are dying each year from flexible cables and portable appliences, than in NZ, thus completely outweighing the benefits. In the UK already between 5 and 10 times more deaths occur from extension leads and flexes than from fixed wiring.

So why would you not mind if the government took the attitude that we should introduce a system that will kill more people than the current one?

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Banning DIY electrical work
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2005, 1:24pm

I've just fitted a utility and had to run 2 extension leads round the room rather than provide 2 extra sockets like I would have done last year.

The customer had booked an electrician to come round today and sort the CU out as it is a mess, actually I think it is bloody dangerous.

Anyway went round to the house this morning to see if the sparks would put some sockets in while he fitting a new CU and he hasn't turned up and no reply from his phone Angry.

So now she is going to leave it as she has been trying to get a sparks for months but has now given up.

This is not an isolated case, don't tell me Part P has anything to do with safety.

It's forcing me to do a crap job which goes completely against the grain.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2005, 1:27pm by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2005, 1:47pm

I agree

Quote:
So why would you not mind if the government took the attitude that we should introduce a system that will kill more people than the current one?

I've no doubt that there will be an increase in accidents due to underhand electrical work, fixed or otherwise, regardless of the introduction of part-p

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2005, 3:26pm

[quote author=ban-all-sheds  link=1112095253/0#0 date=1112095253]OK - since I can no longer reply to this posting in its original thread I'll start a new one [/quote]

Just to be clear - I had nothing at all to do with the deletion of what you refer to.

Quote:
So regulation has worked in one way, Australia's FIXED wiring is indeed safer, but on average between 3 and 4 times more people are dying each year from flexible cables and portable appliences, than in NZ, thus completely outweighing the benefits. In the UK already between 5 and 10 times more deaths occur from extension leads and flexes than from fixed wiring

I think we should be careful when comparing like with like.

I have never been to Oz or NZ so I cannot speak from experience. However, my understanding is that their climate can be vastly superior to ours in terms of good weather content.

Is it possible there are more swimming pools per capita? Common suggestion is that there are a lot more "barbies" taking place outside. Could it be that there are a lot more accidents taking place involving non-fixed wiring? So are we really comparing exactly the same?

I'm not saying we are or are not. I'm just saying that we have to be a little cautious about suggesting that two countries can be compared directly as you suggest.

In this country the government have kindly given us Part P "to save 40 odd lives per year", when they know full well from statistical evidence that the number of lives lost per year due to fixed wiring (which Part P applies to) is 2-3.

Quote:

I can't answer that question because I am not sure of the facts as you seem to be. However, it can be no bad thing if we keep the amateurs away from doing the dodgy wiring.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2005, 5:17pm

[quote author=HM  link=1112095253/0#3 date=1112106390]

Just to be clear - I had nothing at all to do with the deletion of what you refer to. [/quote]
Oh - I know that - the thread you posted in has been locked for other reasons, that's all.

Quote:
I think we should be careful when comparing like with like.

I have never been to Oz or NZ so I cannot speak from experience. However, my understanding is that their climate can be vastly superior to ours in terms of good weather content.

Is it possible there are more swimming pools per capita? Common suggestion is that there are a lot more "barbies" taking place outside. Could it be that there are a lot more accidents taking place involving non-fixed wiring? So are we really comparing exactly the same?

I'm not saying we are or are not. I'm just saying that we have to be a little cautious about suggesting that two countries can be compared directly as you suggest.

That's why i was comparing Australia & New Zealand, not Australia & UK..

Quote:
However, it can be no bad thing if we keep the amateurs away from doing the dodgy wiring.

You say that in virtually the same breath that you say that fixed-wiring related deaths are 2-3 per year.  Don't you see that 2-3 per year means that there is no amateur dodgy wiring to speak of?
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2005, 5:18pm by ban-all-sheds »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2005, 5:52pm

I dont think DIY wiring should be linked to deaths as an argument.

Yes, people will die - as will qualified sparks with their minds on other things.

It is still to do with workmanship though.  When you go house hunting, you can spot a DIY house from a mile away, unless it was done by a 'pro-diyer', and lets face it, they are few and far between.

I would hate to live in a house that I new a DIY'er had been let loose on.

I now you BAS, and several others are very confident and capable as DIY'ers in both sparking and other trades (as all us sparks are Grin).  And these "DIY'er's" do a good, un-questionable job.

Unforunatly, to weed out the guys wo think they can BUT DEFFINANTLY CANT, the good guys get hit.  It's the same with plumbers, and many other trades and businesses.

I would love to be able to install alarms, and know how to do it, and could probaly do a better job that many companies out there, but I am also aware that I am not NACOSS approved, and shouldn't really do them.  (I still do, and hand the maintenance over to a sister company we have be-friended, who checks the install over and warrents it).

There is no line scribed between PRO and DIYER, there are sooo many variables between.

There are too many DIY'ers who talk a good job, then bodge, and many who think their final work is great, and A-OK, when in fact it is a pile of sh1te.  It is these guys Part P is targetting, but unfortunatly hitting others in the process.

My thoughts anyway.

Just get qualified BAS, job done then Wink

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2005, 6:06pm

Quote:
Just get qualified BAS, job done then  

The trouble is it isn't easy to get qualified and be able to self cert.

30 years ago when I started house wiring the Electricity Board would send an inspector out to check the wiring before they re-sealed the fuse. If they found any minor faults they would leave a note to get it fixed but anything major and they took the fuse home with them. If it was about safety then why can't they still do that? There is no seal on my fuse and they aren't interested Undecided

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2005, 6:15pm

Yea, a bit tounge in cheek when I made that comment Wink

Things change, we need to move on.  Work with the system, it's easier in the long run Undecided

What do the likes of BAS and Plug to for a living?  Just interested, not prying or condeming!

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2005, 6:20pm

pluggy is at uni doing electronics or computers or summat i think

and bas works doing something for IBM i beleve Undecided

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2005, 6:34pm

[quote author=Lectrician  link=1112095253/0#5 date=1112115128]I dont think DIY wiring should be linked to deaths as an argument. [/quote]
Neither do I,  but people who argue for a ban invariably come back to it in an attempt to justify their position.

Quote:
Yes, people will die - as will qualified sparks with their minds on other things.

One thing I've often wondered is that even with the casualties that do happen, how many of them were due not to shoddy work resulting in dodgy wiring but to forgetting to turn off the supply?.   i.e. DIYer was doing some wiring that would have been perfectly safe had he not electrocuted himself first...

Quote:
There are too many DIY'ers who talk a good job, then bodge, and many who think their final work is great, and A-OK, when in fact it is a pile of sh1te.  It is these guys Part P is targetting, but unfortunatly hitting others in the process.

But there's no evidence that the problem is severe enough to warrant the intrusive and oppressive state interference that you want...

Quote:
Just get qualified BAS, job done then Wink

If there was a way, I would.  Even NAPIT's "low cost" scheme for people who don't do many notifiable jobs (from memory 8 per year, but I can't find details on their website right now) is still not cheap.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2005, 6:41pm

[quote author=ban-all-sheds  link=1112095253/0#9 date=1112117665]
DIYer was doing some wiring that would have been perfectly safe had he not electrocuted himself first...

[/quote]

lol  Grin  That's a great line bas  Cheesy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2005, 11:06am

Yo - the point I'm making is that the installation work itself could have been done to the highest standards, able to pass the most rigorous inspection, but someone could still remove a socket and jam the wires into their eyes.    Would that be counted as a fixed-wiring related death?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2005, 2:33pm

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2005, 9:30pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Jim Franklin
Reply #13 - Apr 2nd, 2005, 8:39pm

BAS...there is a flaw in your original post. I read it, and did some research, including talking to NZ and Aussie sparks that I know. I also spoke to my Uncle (by email) as he has lived in Auckland for the last 35 years.

The figures you speak of are accurate..however the way you have portrayed them is misleading. Yes the death rate in Kiwi for the last decade figures have been compiled for are 1.45 times less that of Australia for the same period, however the population of Australia is a darn sight more than NZ...and when these figures are actually adjusted for population, the Death rate for NZ is actually 5.2 times HIGHER that Australia.

However, as many have pointed out here, 99.99% of DIY "electricians" do not kill themselves or someone else and to simply focus on death rates is misleading and detracts from the real arguments in this case.

The simple fact is, that generally the standard of work undertaken by the DIY set is FAR FAR lower than that of professionals. Of course there are exceptional DIYers, and exceptionally poor "professionals", but lets face some stark facts here....

We all have a driving license, yet we are barred from simply getting in our Cars and saying we are Cab drivers, with the exception of London Private Hire companies, there are very stringent regulations in place, and no sane person would question this. The same is true for Train drivers, Coach and Bus drivers, truck drivers, JCB drivers, crane operators bla de bla de bla..the list goes on.

F.u.c.k me, even Gas fitters have stringent regulations in place that gives them job protection.

So why the f.u.c.k can't the sparks of this nation. Why should our jobs be damaged by the like of the have a go hero with a screwdriver?

Everyone seems to think sparks earn a fortune, this may have been true historically, but today UK sparks have the lowest income for the industry in the Industrialised world..FACT...

JIB sparks earn LESS than a good receptionist in London!!

You may have the right to kill yourself if you choose (exaggeration), but don't we have the right to earn a decent wage?

And what of the people who buy the house after all the bodging has been done??

This is bigger than one persons ego trip to prove they can do it.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #14 - Apr 2nd, 2005, 9:24pm

One thing that puzzles me about using the NZ stats anyway, is that they appear to have a scheme which means electrical work has to be inspected & tested & certified before being comissioned....... is it like part P? If so, is the comparison with an outright ban and a vetting scheme for DIY work? How does it all translate to the UK post Jan 1st?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

.Re: Banning DIY electrical work
Reply #15 - Apr 2nd, 2005, 9:35pm

Quote:
This is bigger than one persons ego trip to prove they can do it.

Well you certainly hit the nail on the head Jim..

IP Logged

Jim Franklin
Reply #16 - Apr 2nd, 2005, 9:35pm

Beanzy, system is 1000% different from Part P..for a start, everyone knows the rules, they are clear, unambiguous and there are HEAVY penalties for ignoring them.

Most Kiwis actually get sparks in to do the work anyway due to the hassle of the paperwork if they do it themselves from what I have been told by Kiwi's and people living there.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print