Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 10:37pm
Quote: A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on - Samuel Goldwyn

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Main Fuse Rating (Read 2826 times)
wozzer

The Jurassic Spark

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Main Fuse Rating
Apr 15th, 2005, 1:39pm

As I have said before, I don't do domestics regularly, so please forgive what are possibly stupid questions!
Having just rewired the kitchen etc. It occurred to me (eventually) to check the Company fuse size.
I was surprised to find it is 60A. I'm sure the last house we has (much more recently built) was 100A.
Is it possible to get the supply authority fuse upgraded? (I realise that incoming feeder cable size etc. will have a bearing on it) Will it costme a fortune? Undecided

Thank User For This Post 22,CARRIAGE+DRIVE,+BIDDULPH View members image gallery  
IP Logged

squirrel
Trade Member

d'oh

Total Thanks: 1

Trade: Electrician

Re: Main Fuse Rating
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2005, 1:48pm

Wozzer

You've answered the question yourself:

The rating of the service fuse should be appropriate to feed cable size to give adequate protection for the REC cable against overload.

You need to find out whether the REC's cable is adequate, if not it could be costly for them to upgrade.

Have you looked at the current loading and applied diversity to see whether there will be a problem with the existing 60A supply?

Sq

I've heard it all, I've seen it all, I've done it all&&I just don't remember any of it!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2005, 2:01pm

to be honest wozzer, the company fuse hardly ever goes, 60 amp is usualy fine unless your in a mansion Grin

ive been to places with 9 odd kw showers and huge electric range cookers on a 40 amp service fuse, i wouldent want to be near it whilst either is on though  Grin an added bonus was the house dident need central heating  Tongue

the rec will usualy upgrade, hell, ive seen em put nails in fuse carriers, very naughty.

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

wozzer

The Jurassic Spark

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2005, 2:03pm

I see what you mean about having answered the question, but how do I find out what the suppliers cable rating is? do I just phone ? - I've had precious little luck getting them interested in replacing the seal on the meter teminal chamber!
If I apply diversity, 60A does look ok, but if I know my wife, she'll want to use every ring on the hob (halogen actually) AND the fan oven at the same time. - Now 60A starts to look dodgy...

IP Logged

wozzer

The Jurassic Spark

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2005, 2:05pm

I was typing as you replied SS so I didn't see your answer staright away. Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'll just ring 'em and ask for a bigger fuse??
- Nails ? In fuse carriers ?
Nah, don't believe it Shocked
Actually, many years ago we used to call 'em "Clog Tips" when someone did that Tongue
When I was an apprentice, I recall a spark who used it as a fault-finding technique when faced with finding out which bulkhead fitting out of the three hundred or so in a factory basement was faulty. - Answer? the one that jumped off the ceiling! Grin
Seriously, it is not something that should be done! I'm sure everyone is aware, just wouldn't want anyone to think I condone the practice Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2005, 2:11pm by wozzer »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print