Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 2nd, 2024, 9:30am
Quote: If there is a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pipe for outside tap (Read 4370 times)
nyck
GDPR opt-out

pipe for outside tap
May 11th, 2005, 5:12pm

I got to fit a outside tap to the back of my house .The pipe will have to  run on the outside wall to the tap.Is it best to run in copper or polyplumb pipe.

nyck

IP Logged

Bahco
GDPR opt-out

Re: pipe for outside tap
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2005, 8:27pm

Copper will look better than plastic pipe.

Don't forget the DCV and the drain off point outside. Wink

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2005, 9:55pm

DCV = dual check valve

You'll also need an isolating valve inside the house for winter (or whenever) isolation.  That's when you drain it off too.

IP Logged

Plumber
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2005, 10:33pm

The DCV and isolating valve should both be within the thermal envelope of the building, you should also insulate the external pipework with 25mm insulation, this should be closed cell and UV resistant, if it is not it will need to be boxed in

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2005, 11:52am

Nothing more to add, use copper and clip every 1000mm. fit drain cock at the lowest point and insulate well. Jobs a good un.

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

nyck
Reply #5 - May 13th, 2005, 12:45am

Confused now
What do double check valves do why do we need them.

I'm now going to put a tap at the front and back of the house
is the right set up

Cold water feed pipe
isolation valve
pipe
dcv
pipe to outside wall
T-piece + pipe to both taps
taps(check valve or not)

nyck

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2005, 9:23am

Double check valves stop water flowing in the wrong direction in the pipe. These are one of the main reasons you can drink from the tap in the UK. Imagine you have a garden hose on a tap, sitting in a puddle of water, which is there because the drain is blocked after the rain. Further down the line theres a guy using his pressure washer for half an hour, thing is you dont have very good mains pressure where you live, so the pressure washer "sucks" the mains through, as you are on the same run it sucks your supply back towards his own. Just then you go to turn on the outside tap, hmmm no water, meanwhile just opening the tap has meant the guy down the street can suck all the water from your hose into the building, all the drain water is now flowing thru the (potable) water pipes in your house. The guy just stopped using his pressure washer now, jast as the last drop from the hose gets into your drinking water. fancy a coffee?? lol
Double check valves stop all that happening! lol

You have the right idea for running your taps, try to keep as much pipework as you can inside the building though. Nothing wrong with feeding both taps from one valve&check valve.

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print