Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 4:14pm
Quote: Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is it ferked? (Read 7508 times)
The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Is it ferked?
Jun 7th, 2005, 1:43pm

Just been trying to upgrade a spare pc.
Stuck a new CPU in, another stick of memory, & a DVD burner.

Oh, plus a new graphics card.

Switch on and ferk-all - I can hear the HD spin up, but there's nowt displaying on the monitor and no P.O.S.T. beeps at all.
I've swapped back the cpu, and graphics card, and have disconnected the DVD burner - and still ferk-all  ??? ???

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Cry Cry Cry  Sad  Sad

MOBO ferked?

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Re: Is it ferked?
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2005, 1:57pm

Are you new to building PC's mate?

if you have nothing on screen it sounds like the graphics is not setup or is not working, once you can see the bios on screen you can work from there

check the motherboard is powered correctly, the PSU should work if the hard disc spins up
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2005, 2:01pm by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2005, 2:09pm

I've been building em for quite a few years now, but have never had one fail like this before.
As I said, I've already swapped the graphics cards over and back again with no joy  Cry Cry Cry Cry

Everything worked fine before I swapped the CPU. The board is only 2 years old - ASUS A7N8X Deluxe.

PSU must obviously be working otherwise the HD wouldn't spin up, but I suppose its a possibility that just one half of it might be working enough to spin up the HD.

HD voltages are usually +12 & +5VDC, so I suppose these bits are ok.

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2005, 8:41pm

IDE cable in wrong slot? or forgotten to pop on one of the power bus wires on the muvver board? Fans connected up ok? Tried the graphics card in slot2?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Logic_Plus
Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2005, 9:17pm

[quote author=The_Trician  link=1118148986/0#0 date=1118148193]Just been trying to upgrade a spare pc.
Stuck a new CPU in, another stick of memory, & a DVD burner.

Oh, plus a new graphics card.

Switch on and ferk-all - I can hear the HD spin up, but there's nowt displaying on the monitor and no P.O.S.T. beeps at all.
I've swapped back the cpu, and graphics card, and have disconnected the DVD burner - and still ferk-all  ??? ???

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Cry Cry Cry  Sad  Sad

MOBO ferked?

TT [/quote]

Ask here Dave, http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/home
these guys are pretty good

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2005, 9:58pm

swap the memory stick

Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2005, 10:45pm

Cheers for the info chaps - have swapped mem sticks, the graphics card is an AGP PRO 8X and will only fit the one slot, so I tried an old MATROX PCI one - still no joy.

IDE cables haven't been moved/removed since it worked ok before, so I think I can discount that one.

I've contacted the supplier who has issued me with an RMA number, so I've packed the thng up and will be posting it off tomorrow for replacement under warranty.

I had actually begun to wonder if the HD had gone tits-up - but its quite new - around 12 months old. The pc itself and all of the components are less then 2 years old and I've only used the thing a couple of times for back-up purposes. I can count the number of times I've booted it up on one hand. Main reason being that I was waiting for Athlon T-Bird prices to come down so I could upgrade to the fastest one before everything went to 64's.

Will let you know what happens.

TT

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2005, 12:09am

If it was the hard drive that was knackered the POST would still go and the BIOS stuff would work. It would fail when the BIOS scans the IDE bus as it lists the drives attached post POST.

Sounds to me like memory. I have a PC that had this and reseating it didn't cure it, t***ting the side of the case repeatedly whilst swearing loudly, then reseating it, did. Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2005, 12:46am

i've got about 4 spare memories here, trying to sort out an old-ish pc with more memory, cant get any to work, it's SD 133 i "think" but i've tried 100 and 133 both as well as the ddr ones(which dont fit 168pin vs 184 or whatever) in my own machine and cant get those to work either. stupid bloody memory. even tried mixing and matching them, removing old ones and trying new ones on their own etc etc etc. all not working Sad

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2005, 9:23am

[quote author=Lurch  link=1118148986/0#7 date=1118185791]If it was the hard drive that was knackered the POST would still go and the BIOS stuff would work. It would fail when the BIOS scans the IDE bus as it lists the drives attached post POST.

Sounds to me like memory. I have a PC that had this and reseating it didn't cure it, t***ting the side of the case repeatedly whilst swearing loudly, then reseating it, did. Wink [/quote]

Yes that's my thinking as well. You should be able to get into the BIOS with almost nothing connected except keyboard and monitor (No HD, DVD or Floppy etc). If the mobo has on-board graphics connect the monitor to that and remove the graphics card. Boot into the BIOS then set it up to use the AGP Card (or PCI Express) later.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2005, 9:30am

Perhaps you need faster memory than 133 ? The spec for that mobo says..

FSB - 400* / 333 / 266 / 200 MHz

or have I missed a factor of 2?

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X%20Deluxe

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2005, 10:06pm

133 doesnt relate to speed its to do with mobo compatability, not sure exactly how it works but you have 100 and 133 for both ddr and sd memories.

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Wheel-nut
Reply #12 - Jun 27th, 2005, 10:02pm

TT,

The Asus A7N8X Deluxe requires DDR Memory. Are you sure that the memory you have is DDR and not PC133 memory?

p.s. I have been away for a couple of weeks and will reply to your e-mail separately.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #13 - Jun 27th, 2005, 10:31pm

Hi Wheel-Nut,

Yes, I fitted DDR sticks and the whole plot worked fine for a while.
I have had a RMA number issued by the vendor and the board has been returned. They have also sent me an acknowledgement of reciept, and have despatched the board on to the OEM for direct replacement, which I have been promised will take 28 days.

Hope you had a nice few weeks away.

Cheers

TT

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print