Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 2:10pm
Quote: Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are foosteps on the moon - Paul Brandt

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Door paint striping (Read 1807 times)
simj2

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Door paint striping
Jun 12th, 2005, 12:51pm

What should the cost of Having doors professionally  striped be. And does any one have any usefull Hints and tips

Thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Door paint striping
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2005, 5:59pm

The last doors I had dipped cost me £15 each, I had 6 done and they collected and delivered them back.

Tips?

Try to get someone to recommend a good stripper, they can ruin the door if they are not careful.

Have them done in the summer Roll Eyes if we have one, as they will probably come back wet, and you will need somewhere to stand them out to dry.

Expect to do quite a bit of sanding, not all the finish will be gone and the stripping process will raise the grain.

Well worth the hassle though.

Keith

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Electrician

Re: Door paint striping
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2005, 11:06am

If I am correct, old pine doors used to be fastened together with what was known as 'cow-glue', i.e. an adhesive made from boiling the various bits of offal from an abattoir down to make a 'glue'.

Some friends of mine had their Victorian pine doors stripped and after sanding/varnishing and re-hanging them, the doors fell apart within a couple of months of use because the caustic soda mix used in the dip-tanks was too concentrated, and had dissolved the old glue from the joints.

Beware getting your lovely old doors ruined! Make sure the 'stripper' knows what he's doing, or stand by for some serious grief!

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print