Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 3:04pm
Quote: If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MAJOR COMPUTER WORM ATTACKS COMPUTER SYSTEMS (Read 4861 times)
Dewy
GDPR opt-out

MAJOR COMPUTER WORM ATTACKS COMPUTER SYSTEMS
Aug 17th, 2005, 8:04pm

MAJOR COMPUTER WORM ATTACKS COMPUTER SYSTEMS

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A computer worm shut down computer systems running Windows 2000 software across the United States Tuesday, hitting computers at CNN, ABC and the New York Times.

The Caterpiller Co. in Peoria, Ill. was also reportedly affected. Around 5 p.m., computers began crashing at CNN facilities in New York and Atlanta. ABC said their problems began in New York about 1:30 p.m. David Perry of Trend Micro said that the attack seems to have been triggered by a new worm, called worm--rbot.ebq.  He said that the symptoms, of computers repeatedly shutting down and rebooting, was consistent with that virus.

Johannes Ullrich, director of the Sans Institute, a network security firm in Jacksonville, Fla., said the outage may also have been caused by the Zotob worm, which was released last weekend.

"It will connect to a control server to ask for instructions. It scans network neighborhoods and tries to infect them as well," he said.  Several versions of the worm have been released, some as late as Tuesday, he said.

While the worm primarily affects Windows 2000, it can also affect some early versions of Microsoft XP, he said.
"Typically, the infective vector is a laptop connected to unsecured networks," Ullrich said. "This laptop will infect your systems from the inside."

Microsoft has made a patch to counter Zotob, he said. Perry said that the Rbot worm may be a derivative of the Zotob worm.  He said that the worm was very new. At any given time, there are thousands of computer worms and viruses in existence.  Most are stopped from becoming widespread problems by anti-virus software.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2005, 8:05pm by Dewy »  

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: MAJOR COMPUTER WORM ATTACKS COMPUTER SYSTEMS
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2005, 10:44pm

i had a suspicious email attachment the other day, a zip, which i scanned with AVG, which I had updated 2 days previous, came back clean but i wasnt happy, updated again, even though it said i was up to date, scanned and ping, VIRUS DETECTED bullshit. I always thought it would take at least a few weeks for the new ones to reach my own email addy, just goes to show in the space of 2 days a new worm was released and had already found my email, and i dont get that much spam really only 3 or 4 things a day usually.

btk ( on guard )

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2005, 11:50pm

That text came from an urgent Paltalk staff newsletter that I received yesterday.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 2:03am

windows worms are frankly old news nowadays. if you are running a network and don't have a strategy in place to deal with them you are incompetent.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:51pm

I must admit, my security strategy for the home\office network is a bit poor at times. Some AV doesn't always do well at updating and it gets left far too long. All my machines are running Win2000 and I haven't had a single problem with virii\worms\trojans or any other out of the ordinary goings on.

I've just stuck a new server in and am currently cleaning\updating and logging machines onto the domain and I haven't found one that has got any major issues with it. Even the one that is sat in a DMZ with hardly any protection on it has nothing much wrong with it.

So, if you do get hit by all these trojans\worms\virii that people keep spamming boards with then you must really be asking for it.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 5:48pm

[quote author=Lurch  link=1124305465/0#4 date=1124711487] So, if you do get hit by all these trojans\worms\virii that people keep spamming boards with then you must really be asking for it. [/quote]

Well I'm not so sure...

About a year ago my wife visited a website/forum for discussing games. She didn't download anything but that didn't stop several nasties programs being pushed onto her PC somehow. Within about an hour her PC was almost unusable due to the large number of pop-ups that appeared on screen even when she wasn't connected to the Internet physically. .

I found there were more than SIXTY suspect processes running and it took me three solid evenings to remove the stuff. NONE of the removal tools on the web would get it all. It was like pulling weeds - miss one little bit and the whole lot came back after rebooting. At one point I thought I had got it all but when I connected to the internet again one sprang into life and started downloading it's friends all over again. Each time I ran a scan a new threat would be detected. Quite an eyeopener.

As it turned out I could have restored a backup image but at the time I wasn't sure if this had been infected.

The point is that we WERE using a router with a firewall and both our PC run automatically updated antivirus S/W and several other anti-malware programs.  

I can only think that the stuff got in by exploiting a bug in IE or similar because we hadn't run Windows update for about two months.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 7:26pm

Fair enough, I was generalising a bit!

The rough point I was getting at was some of these threats are not as bad as some people make out.

For me personally, I am more inconvenienced by people "helpfully" posting all about these things on boards and forums everywhere. Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:22pm

true i'm rapidly moving towards the opinion that using internet explorer as your main browser is asking for it nowadays.

anti virus software will only stop known threats and anti virus firms are scared of treating spyware as the scum it is because spyware writers unlike virus writers often have money for lawsuits......

anti spyware software has similar problems and there is the aditional problem that there is a lot of fake anti spyware software out there.

so your best option is to avoid using IE which frankly has more holes than a wheel of swiss cheese thats been hit with a shotgun blast Wink

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2005, 12:31am

[quote author=plugwash  link=1124305465/0#7 date=1124745750]true i'm rapidly moving towards the opinion that using internet explorer as your main browser is asking for it nowadays.

anti virus software will only stop known threats and anti virus firms are scared of treating spyware as the scum it is because spyware writers unlike virus writers often have money for lawsuits......

anti spyware software has similar problems and there is the aditional problem that there is a lot of fake anti spyware software out there.

so your best option is to avoid using IE which frankly has more holes than a wheel of swiss cheese thats been hit with a shotgun blast Wink [/quote]

I think there's an echo in here, I've been banging on about that since I got here! lol

mozillythekid
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2005, 12:31am by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2005, 7:10pm

As plugwash said.. there are a lot of fake programs out there offering to protect you at a price. Some claim to find viruses you don't have just so they can sell you the removal tools. Even when you know the name of a good program you can't rely on Google to take you to it. Even some of their sponsored links take you to websites  offering products with similar names.

There are a few free programs that have a reasonable (if not perfect) reputation...

Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta) http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Spybot S&D  http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/index.html

Adaware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpywareBlaster & SpywareGuard  http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/index.html

Hijackthis http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.html

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print