Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 6:39pm
Quote: Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying - Arthur C. Clarke

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Diamond tile cutter... (Read 3644 times)
wotamess
GDPR opt-out

Diamond tile cutter...
Aug 18th, 2005, 3:18pm

Can anyone recommend any particular water cooled tile cutting machine...there seems to be plenty available at the likes of Wickes, B&Q etc...if you have one ...whats it like for wall/floor tiles?
Thanks for any info.. Wink

IP Logged

Chaddy
GDPR opt-out

Re: Diamond tile cutter...
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2005, 7:38pm

Depends how much tiling your going to do.

If it's just for a one off job or diy then theres not much point spending hundreds of pounds....and a cheapie will suffice Grin

IP Logged

bstyle
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2005, 8:01pm

I use this one:-

http://www.bilbotools.com/acatalog/rubi_diamant_DW_200_LP.html

Works well for me.

I've also got a smaller one that cost about £120, it seems to be very similar to the cheap ones from SF and the sheds. I wont pay that much again when it breaks, i'll just get a cheapy.

IP Logged

Chaddy
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2005, 11:29pm

I personally use a cheapie.  Lasts a few jobs and then it gets binned.

The best advice i can give you is get the most powerful one you can afford and pay attention to the fence, this seems to be the weak point on the bargain basement jobbies Grin

IP Logged

Twobarrows
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2005, 10:03am

A while back I bought the Plasplugs plasic tile cutter as I was only doing a few jobs, but since then I have done quite a bit of work with it. It is now 'cattle trucked' as the bearing has worn (disk cuts at a slight angle) and the guide has broken, BUT it has been mullered by me and was more than good enough for most DIY jobs.
Incidentally, I recently bought the Plasplugs sliding tile cutter (the one with bearings on the slide) & it is great. It is also seriously quick compare to a disc cutter, but not all floor tiles can be cut with it.

IP Logged

HandyJon
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2005, 11:28am

I've got the plasplugs cheapie and I've been using it for nearly two years doing about one tiling job a month on average. It must have gone through thousands of tiles (mostly cheap white wall tiles). I've changed the disc once but even then it wasn't that worn out. Keeping the water level high and not pushing hard helps. It's always had a slight angle to the disc, and I found the guide too much hassle because of the disc's angle. But cutting without the guide and following the grooves with my fingers as I feed in the tile is just as good. I've got an old fashioned tile cutter as well, but with all the awkward cuts it's just as easy to use the disc cutter than fiddle with both.

IP Logged

marco

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2005, 7:49am

Hi i have always used a wickes one, about £ 45 and it does rhe job, very well, only problem when you go into thickness more that 6 mm and only ceramics, if you dont tile everyday i have found thats is the best and chepeasr of all machines.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print