Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 6:42pm
Quote: 82.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
on line banking (Read 6114 times)
thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

on line banking
Aug 29th, 2005, 12:18am

as soon as I logged off from the Halifax online banking the following Email was sent to me  Lips Sealed not being a transaction I had made, so I did a little research and sent a copt to Halifax security.

If you open the web site and click "about us" it opens the internet connection wizard and tries to access the internet

Don't try it unless you have a good anti virus software because I don't know what it does yet.

BANK Transaction Confirmation
Please retain for your records
Thank you

Transaction details:
Transaction for the value of: GBP 486.95
Description: CM Watson Payroll
Merchant's bank ID: 735
Pre-Authorisation Date/Time: 28/Aug/2005 11:41:52
Transaction ID: 238973284
This is not a tax receipt.

This confirmation indicates that your bank transaction has been processed successfully.
Your new account in CM WATSON PAYROLL SYSTEM has been successfully created.

If you have any questions about your payment (including refunds, delivery status, wanting
to cancel your payment),please do not hesitate to contact our team by visiting

URL REMOVED FOR SECURITY

and sending contact form.

Regards.
C.M. WATSON and Co

Lectrician.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2005, 10:27am by Lectrician »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Re: on line banking
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2005, 10:11am

MODS: I RECOMMEND YOU DELETE THE URL FROM THE ABOVE POST ASAP

The site does appear to contain a bad script that's downloaded when you visit the site.

The script attempts to put a link to a .hta file on your desktop. I believe a .hta file can contain code just like a .exe file. I assume if you then followed the link that code would be executed. Very unwise.

Norton says:

Category: Threat alerts
Date,Feature,Threat Name,Action Taken,Item Type,Target,Suspicious Action,Virus Definition Version,Product Version,User Name,Computer Name,Details
29/08/2005 11:07:20,Script Blocking,Suspicious script,Blocked,Script,N/A,FileSystem Object : CreateTextFile,Unknown,Unknown,Colin,MERCURY,Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Colin\Desktop\http:<deleted just in case!>
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2005, 11:22am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2005, 11:10am

I received the identical email today saying about a payroll transaction of £486.95.
The transaction ID was identical.
I replied saying I had never heard of C.M. Watson & Co
I could not have been sent it as a result of online banking as I dont use my bank that way.
I asked them where I could get the £486.95 they claim to have done a payroll transaction on.
The email came back as undeliverable at the address given ankcook@visual-results.com
I opened the URL and my anti-virus did not give any warning as it always does at dodgey sites.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2005, 11:22am by Dewy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2005, 11:27am

It might be worth running some scans. I don't know but perhaps it's also possible for a link to code to be created, followed, executed and then deleted all automatically leaving no visible evidence that anything has happened?

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2005, 12:21pm

it doesnt run any scripts in mozilla, must be an IE thing, as usual....

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Hitachimad
Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2005, 5:03pm

Look out...
Dont mean to panic you Halifax users but my Dad fell victim of internet banking fraud through them a couple of weeks ago...

Turns out that someone had managed to get his login details phoned halifax saying they were him and had forgotten password... the pleb on the end of the phone reset the password and gave the fraudster acces to his accounts.

Result- Dad goes to get petrol, fills up, hands over card...Sorry sir, goes checks his balance...£000

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2005, 6:10pm

"managed to get his login details" fills me with worry, they have a nickname, password and personal question. does he use the same nickname on everything along with a non upper-lower-numerical password and tells everyone his business?

There are lots of sites telling you how to do this stuff as well as common sense approach and safe internet use, all of which should minimise any risk to the average online banking customer.

btk

(halifax since the beginning with no trouble)
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2005, 6:11pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Hitachimad
Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2005, 6:50pm

I have no ideal Billy! He doesnt tell me!

I believe he did enter his username into a spoof email though Embarrassed

But even still! The muppet from the Halifax call centre shouldnt be giving out passwords like that with no security questions!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2005, 7:09pm

Halifax have an online guarantee of security.

You get turned over they pay.

Grin Grin

IP Logged

Hitachimad
Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2005, 7:38pm

With a little talking to and a few letters, i believe they have waived any incurred charges, but is now being investigated before they will pay up. Apparently theire fraud team is 2 months behind.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2005, 7:43pm

lol, not the only one to be caught out then eh.... hope all gets resolved.

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2005, 10:46pm

Hi Hitachimad - Hope they sort out your dads problem.

I'm still stunned by my experience with my bank last week.  I'd called them but when they asked for account details they told me the ones I gave were incorrect. I gave them twice more to different people before they said that "I" had failed their security checks. This despite the fact that I was logged on to my account at the time using the very same details!

They said they would have "reset" my account but without thnking I said "Oh, Don't bother I can do that myself while I'm logged in"... and they AGREED!

After I'd hung up the phone I realised how absurd this all was and rang them back but by then they had put a note on my account about the security problem and wouldn't speak to me!

I can still log in, change the password and make transactions despite "me" failing their security checks.

Should I apply for a large overdraft?

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2005, 10:13pm

A reply from Halifax.

Thank you for your email and alerting us to the concerning email you have received dated the 28th of August 2005.

A number of fraudulent emails are currently circulating in the UK encouraging bank customers to visit a website where card or internet security details are then requested.  Typically these emails are sent in large volumes in anticipation some of the recipients will be genuine customers appropriate to the bank referenced in the email.  

Please delete the e-mail immediately without responding or visiting any website detailed within it.

We have referred it on to APACS and if you wish to know more information you should visit http://www.apacs.org.uk/staysafeonline/

The e-mail or a website quoted within it could contain a Trojan or virus and we strongly recommend that you run your anti-virus software to combat this.  We also suggest that you ensure your anti-virus software is up to date before running the scan. Further guidance on security can be found by following the links to our security section from our homepage.

No funds should be taken from your account as long as you have not provided details of your account. The link within the e-mail is to try and get customers to visit their website to possibly divulge account details or the site may download viruses to your PC.

If you are concerned regarding your accounts please contact Telephone Banking on 08457 20 30 40. Lines are open 24 hours and a consultant will be happy to check your account payments.

Regards

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #13 - Aug 31st, 2005, 12:50am

It's the same for all the online banks, people do something called phishing where they take a real copy/image of the website and host it as their own site which collects personal bank information.

The e-mails they send are named as a real bank name but the real address is disguised, the link to the bank is to a fake website, yet the link shows the real address and takes you to the fake website, this is straightforward fiddle of HTML code.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print