Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 17th, 2024, 3:29am
Quote: Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Flue positions (Read 19821 times)
spongebob
GDPR opt-out

Flue positions
Sep 3rd, 2005, 11:04pm

I have a brochure for a combi boiler. There is a note which states: The distance from a fanned draught appliance terminal installed parallel to a boundary may not be less than 300mm. Is this to prevent problems should an extension be built in the future. In a situation where there is no possibility of an extension being built could this regulation be waived. I only ask cos if this reg must be strictly adhered to it is going to have a bit of an impact on our kitchen design.

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Flue positions
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2005, 11:09pm

parallel to the boundary, meaning out the back wall of your property.  300mm is only a foot, how close is next door? and will they be building an extension?

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

spongebob
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2005, 11:41pm

Out the back wall is correct but would ideally like boiler installed on party wall. Property is terraced. No chance of any extension being built as there is a road outside the back door. Haven't done any proper measuring yet. I suppose I could visit manufacturers website and try to get the dimensions I need. It just looks as though it will be tight if the brochure is anything to go by. Kitchen planner is coming Tuesday so i need to have it ironed out by then.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2005, 11:59pm

ok stop me if i'm getting this all messed up in my(whisky soaked) brain, but how can you flue a boiler on a party wall? I think you mean right up against your party wall with the flue thru the back wall right? or even side exiting flue with boiler mounteed on party wall.  if thats the case you might well be cutting it close.  there are other regs too which might com into effect, proximity to openable windows etc.

The answer I suppose is that you definately need to take notice of this reg, its concerning products of combustion i.e carbon monoxide in a worst case scenario.  If your neighbour puts up a conservatory you wouldnt want to be the one responsible for their deaths just because it fitted your kitchen layout better would you. I'd ask your neighbour if they are ever going to build onto their property, or even if they would be allowed to, depending on your area they might not be able to get the planning permission to extend. If the boiler definately HAS to go there then this is your only option.

Would it be possible to put it up the loft or somewhere else in the house?
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2005, 1:02am by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Village_Idiot
Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2005, 12:07am

[quote author=billythekid  link=1125785085/0#3 date=1125788359]ok stop me if i'm getting this all messed up in my(whiskey soaked) brain, but how can you flue a boiler on a party wall? I think you mean right up against your party wall with the flue thru the back wall right? or even side exiting flue with boiler mounteed on party wall.  if thats the case you might well be cutting it close.  there are other regs too which might com into effect, proximity to openable windows etc.

The answer I suppose is that you definately need to take notice of this reg, its concerning products of combustion i.e carbon monoxide in a worst case scenario.  If your neighbour puts up a conservatory you wouldnt want to be the one responsible for their deaths just because it fitted your kitchen layout better would you. I'd ask your neighbour if they are ever going to build onto their property, or even if they would be allowed to, depending on your area they might not be able to get the planning permission to extend. If the boiler definately HAS to go there then this is your only option.

Would it be possible to put it up the loft or somewhere else in the house? [/quote]

btk, call yourself a scotsman, drinking irish/american Angry
scotch is spelt whisky

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2005, 1:02am

oh what a fowks pass, lol repaired...

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Timmo

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2005, 3:18pm

Spongebob.....have you also considered Quote:
there are other regs too which might com into effect, proximity to openable windows etc.  
? You need to check all these aswell. Usual all these dimensions are given in the manufacturers insatllation manual, if not they are freely available at the odpm website under part J. Or try here Flue position

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2005, 3:20pm by Timmo »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

spongebob
Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2005, 9:57pm

Okey cokey. The brochure is for a Baxi 105HE Plus. All other requirements for the flue are satisfied apart from the 300mm from the property boundary line. Now I suppose whoever installs the boiler could be asked to add a 45 degree bend to the flue elbow thus giving the required 300mm. I'm just having trouble picturing how it will look, it may end up being boxed in I don't know. All I was really wanting to know was if the regulation could be waived in a situation where there was no likelihood whatsoever of an extension being constructed in the future given that at the rear of  the property there is a small footpath and then a road. If I rang corgi or Baxi would they talk to me or would it have to be a registered guy?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2005, 12:20am

Assuming it's a public footpath then I think,  and my  collegues will confirm you are not allowed to discharge the flue over a public area.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer but I don't do domestic.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2005, 4:51pm

No! you can not discharge a flue over a public path or area.

IP Logged

spongebob
Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2005, 10:05pm

Flippity flip scruff!!!! There's a bombshell. I hadn't come across that in my research and it wasn't mentioned to us by the guy who we originally approached to do the installation. Is it just the new condensing boiler flues that this applies to or is it all combis. If it's all combi's there are a few illegal installations around here. We currently have a back boiler and were looking to change to reclaim space in the loft for a conversion. I cant think of another suitable place to put it. This is a BUMMER!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chrishutt
Trade Member

What is YaBB 1G - SP1?

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2005, 11:01pm

I'm not absolutely sure on this  ???, but I think if the flue terminal can be raised to  a certain level (2 metres?) above ground level, you would be OK to discharge over a public highway or whatever. Logically, there must be some height above which it doesn't matter.  

If you went for a Keston boiler, the flue pipe is merely 50mm uPVC "waste" pipe, so extending it is easy and cheap  Wink.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chtechie
Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2005, 11:02pm

In the loft with a vertical flue kit might be a location ?
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2005, 11:02pm by chtechie »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

spongebob
Reply #13 - Sep 5th, 2005, 11:30pm

The whole idea of a combi install was brought about cos we wished to free up space in the loft for a conversion. Defeats the object a bit if we have to put a combi up there. I'm a bit p****d about this at the minute.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chrishutt
Trade Member

What is YaBB 1G - SP1?

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2005, 1:12am

spongebob, did your read and digest my previous post? There is a ray of hope... Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #15 - Sep 6th, 2005, 7:16am

As Chris says - perhaps the flue come out where you planned then go vertically up to a suitable height. I guess it might need to be insulated/caged in some way if it gets hot.

IP Logged

spongebob
Reply #16 - Sep 6th, 2005, 9:55pm

Me again. chrishutt, 2metres is easily achievable but I ain't come across Keston boilers in my trawl for brochures. will look them up.
Had a word with a plumber today who was working in the street. He wasn't aware of this reg and he dug out his little corgi manual and was unable to find any specific reference. I'm further confused by the fact that there is at least one condensing boiler installation nearby that was carried out by a long established local company. oh for the day when gas runs out and we all go back to coal fires.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print