Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 17th, 2024, 6:05am
Quote: The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
joining into soil stack (Read 7149 times)
mjc
GDPR opt-out

joining into soil stack
Sep 26th, 2005, 12:00pm

I am going to be putting a toilet under the stairs of the house I am renovating and am puzzling a little over the connection into the drains.

I probably need to discuss the options with the BCO but was wondering if it is possible to join it into the existing soil stack!

The hous is a Victorian terrace and the current situation is that the main sewer pipe runs along the back of the houses (ours is third in line of 6) and the only current connection into the drain (as viewed from the inspection chamber) is the main soil stack.  I haven't excavated around the bottom of the stack yet but there are also an old (outside) WC connection which branches straight into the sewer pipe outside of the IC and a rainwater gullkey which does the same on the other end of the IC.

there is a diagram and photo at http://www.engelside.co.uk/toilet.htm

The original toilet is going and the wall between the kitchen and conservatory is too.

I don't particularly want to start making major changes, building new IC's if it at all possible so I was hoping that I could run a connection from under the stairs to the bottom of the soil stack.

Any views?

Cheers

Martin

IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: joining into soil stack
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2005, 5:43pm

i know somone will know the answers/suggest something, but in the mean time, looking at your photo....why do you have three feet? lol

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2005, 6:00pm

From what I can see in the pictures you may not have deep enough drains to accomodate the longer run and therefore fall of the new drain run.

Can you let us know the difference in height from floor level in the loo to Invert level (bottom of channel in manhole) and the distance from back of new WC to center of manhole, looks about 5.0m if your drawing is to scale.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Timmo

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2005, 6:15pm

I notice from your post that your house is the third in line of 6 which all join into the same sewer. Therefore, if the distance from house number one i.e the start of main sewer is greater than that from your new toilet position to the manhole this should mean that the fall will be sufficient no?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2005, 6:38pm

only if all the houses are on the same level, if the street slopes down to his house then there maynot ne nuch drop. From the pics the manhole only looks about 300mm deep but the manhole cover could have been below ground level.

Also the main sewer looks like 6" so the fall can be less than 4".

Jason
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2005, 6:39pm by jasonB »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mjc
Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2005, 7:46pm

The distance from new loo position to sewer is approx 6m.  The sewer is about 600mm below ground level (the floor level of the new loo will probably be a little higher).

I had a look at the regs and from what I could see the minimum fall is 18mm per m.  Therefore I need to drop a minimum of 108mm.

I didn't mean that all 6 houses ran into the same manhole (if this is what you thought Timmo).  What I was trying to say was that the sewer runs along the back of the 6 houses and each houses has an IC into which their soil pipes run.

And as far as having 3 legs supersparky, well just call me Jake  Cheesy

Martin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2005, 7:57pm

heh heh ok jake Wink

btw, did you find out what the mystery pipe running through the manhole from a few weeks ago was?

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2005, 8:10pm

You may just be lucky and get a tee into the stack just above the rest bend, suggest you expose the part of rhe stack below ground then get the BCO in to have a look.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mjc
Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2005, 8:58pm

[quote author=supersparky  link=1127732410/0#6 date=1127761049]heh heh ok jake Wink

btw, did you find out what the mystery pipe running through the manhole from a few weeks ago was?

ss [/quote]

ss

Yes, it was the old gas supply pipe.  I spoke to a neighbour and he told me that there had been a problem with gas leaks a few years ago and consequently the supply was changed to enter the from the front of the row of 6.  I got a little worried when cutting the pipe and ther was a slight gassy smell, and doubly so when Transco started digging further down the road Embarrassed  I also found the old lead water supply pipe, even more for me to "reclaim"  Wink

Martin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2005, 10:47pm

Soil pipe has to go into the IC, BC will not be happy branching into the pipe

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

mjc
Reply #10 - Sep 28th, 2005, 12:15am

Had another dig today and I think that there should be just enough room to get a small access chamber connected to the old toilet waste pipe, that way I shouldn't have to disturb the IC at all!

quick diagram and photo here http://www.engelside.co.uk/toilet1.htm

The only problem is whether there is enough room to get a plastic to clay pipe join in.

Martin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print