Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 15th, 2024, 10:42am
Quote: Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
college first assignment! (Read 5602 times)
bushy
GDPR opt-out

college first assignment!
Nov 2nd, 2005, 8:33pm

hi again all, well i've started college and its great, however, theres always a however!, I need your help I need to describe in words how to do a masons mitre joint for one of the written assignments and im kinda struggleing, i could do with a few diagrams, does anyone know a decent site i could get some info off?
I understand how to set up the jig and cut the joints but I am finding it hard to put into words.   Undecided

Thanks in advance

ali

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: college first assignment!
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2005, 7:42am

Have a look on the trend site, look at instruction manuals, then scroll down to the worktop jigs.

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/libfiles/library.html

Jason

IP Logged

bushy
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2005, 10:32am

Thanks Jason that is exactly what I need  Grin  Grin Grin

Ali

IP Logged

bushy
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2005, 11:56am

jason, just another thing i am a bit unsure about i you had a worktop without a rounded front edge and were using lippings instead would it be ok to use butt joints?

Thanks Ali

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2005, 1:18pm

Yes.

J

IP Logged

bushy
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2005, 3:06pm

Thanks Jason

Ali

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2005, 8:19pm

Hi guys, err!! dont get me wrong here but when i first read the original post i thought you were going to build a window!! ???? especially when you mentioned a "MASONS mitre" then you go on to talk about worktop jigs!!! i am alittle bit confused, as when i was taught about Masons Mitres over 25 years ago, i was taught that they were a window joint, where you have a stub tennon, with 45 degree lapped faces!!!
may be this is one of them ther different "names" for different areas of the country!!???
i know it has been a couple of LOOOOOOOONNNGGGG weeks (75 hours per week min) but i am a little confused with this... may be it is just ME!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2005, 9:42pm

Wolf, I think Mason's mitre is one of those generic terms for any joint with a majority square section and a small mitred section the width of the chamfer.

IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2005, 7:36am

As Keith says, I class a masons miter as a joint where the moulded part of the profile is mitred and the flat parl left square.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2005, 8:12pm

This is the bit that makes me question the Validity of calling a Counter scribed joint, a Masons Mitre Joint, due to the fact that when i began learning Joinery, as opposed to  general Carpentary... Laminated worktops etc , well they were not an ITEM as such!!  all kitchen units came with their own counter tops already prefitted you just butted the cabinets together... and a masons mitre joint was a window joint, with stubbed tenons!!

even the books that i learnt my trade from, did not cover worktops, as basically they were not invented as a slab of covered chipboard!! it was all timber back then if you wanted a long run of material/counter top... and in that case you would cut the "counters/counter tops with an off set mitre!!! with dowels or biscuits(if you were posh!!,) as the ol' dog bones had not been worked in to the equation either!!

BUT... hay ho!! showing my bloody age again am i not fella's, and probably confusing a "budding" joiner/chippy or what ever he wishes to aspire too!!!
as technology rolls on , so does the nicking/bastardisation of the old "correct" terminology!!!

whoa! ain't progress confusing!!  i think i will leave the young-un's to it, and get on with growing old NON-gracefully!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2005, 9:12pm

Progress Undecided  Roll Eyes. Our village has had broadband for a few months and I'm still on business highway, just can't get my head round changing.

Must be getting old Sad

I like the non-graceful idea though Wink Cheesy Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2005, 9:12pm by woodsmith »  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2005, 11:45pm

i was informed by my missus, that i do not know how to be graceful, and i should have been in the DIPLOMATIC corp!! i just do not know WHAT she means by that!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print