Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 8:10am
Quote: When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
To Amtico, or not to Amtico? (Read 2468 times)
stressedout
GDPR opt-out

To Amtico, or not to Amtico?
Nov 12th, 2005, 10:43am

Hi

I have a good, stable concrete floor in a refurbished kitchen/dining area and I need to decide on flooring. It was screeded a couple of weeks ago and just needs buffing to be ready for laying.

'Er indoors is pushing for Amtico, but I am concerned that, although very hardwearing, it will be too cold underfoot (and £££ to boot!)

We have also looked at RhinoFloor, which would probably be warmer to walk on, but the sales assistant put the missus off by suggesting it marks easily.

I tend to walk around the house barefoot most of the time, but underfloor heating is not an option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Stressed.

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: To Amtico, or not to Amtico?
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2005, 7:14pm

It's not any warmer but Karndean flooring is very similar to Amtico but costs a lot less.

You could get a matching pair of his & hers slippers with the money saved Grin

Also how deep is the screed, I would want to let it dry out a bit longer than two weeks before fitting any finished flooring, it may look dry on the surface but will be moist underneath.

Jason

IP Logged

bstyle
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2005, 9:07pm

There's loads on the market, Rubber flooring, Karndean, Amtico, a few other brands of vinyl.

I fit quite a bit of Karndean, it's not as thick as Amtico but as JasonB says it's a fraction of the cost with a satisfactory product range. I actually prefer the Amtico ranges, some very nice modern colours and designs.

Without the underfloor heating you'll have to go for some kind of vinyl to get a warmish floor, the thicker the better.

It's never going to be that warm, have a look at the U/Floor Htng you may be suprised at the cost

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2005, 9:07am

Don't fit underfloor heating without a really good level of insulation underneath. Otherwise the floor just soaks up the heat, and your money Roll Eyes.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

engineer1958
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2005, 10:50pm

Bit late to reply to this maybe but ...
For hardwearing / value for money I would go for one of the Maroleum range. Make up is very much like real linoleum of the 1960's but more choice of pattern / colour now.
I stay on a farm in the NE of Scot, and our Maroleum floor in the kitchen gets the brunt of all traffic coming straight in from stables / fields etc, any slight marks can be removed with a scothbrite  / pan scourer pad as the surface is not only skin deep but goes all the way through the flooring.  As for the cold, well I think it's pretty chilly here most of the time, try a pair of slippers as suggested by jasonB.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print