Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 8:26pm
Quote: Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Polycarbonate and combi boiler vent (Read 4949 times)
HandyJon
GDPR opt-out

Polycarbonate and combi boiler vent
Dec 2nd, 2005, 8:42pm

How close can triple walled polycarbonate be placed to a combi boiler vent?

I'm roofing a small back porch in clear polycarbonate (it'll be a dark dungeon otherwise) but next door's combi vent is at the same height as the roof. It'll be cheaper for me to fiddle some 3d origami than to pay to have his vent moved. I'm planning on placing a metal plate under the vent (about 50mm below it) attached to the wall. It'll be about 300mm by 150mm to match the size of the vent but a bit bigger

What I'd like to know is can the poly touch the plate at the specified dimensions or should the plate be bigger or should there be some form of thermal gap (air or wood or ?) Space is too tight for the poly to be placed under the plate.

I will be placing a off cut of poly under the vent for a few days to see what happens, but I don't want to over engineer a solution if I can get away with less.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Polycarbonate and combi boiler vent
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2005, 7:35am

Jon you are probably better off asking the plumbers

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:43am

All the boiler manufacturers give these following tolerances and distances for flue proximity to objects:

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=product.detail&con_id=1221...

So are dimensions i and k the ones you need?
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:44am by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2005, 9:10am

I know about those dimensions, but I'm looking for something that is takes into account the melting point of polycarbonate.

Looks like I'll just have to do some expermenting first.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2005, 9:20am

HJ, i know this might sound daft, but when the boiler is running, have you tried to "gingerly" put the BACK of your hand to the side of the flue!! is it very hot!??, i ask this as the majority of flues these days are two compartmented, the outer area of the flue is the AIR INTAKE to the boiler, and the centre section is the exhaust discharge!! for reasons of trying to keep the heat transfer to the outer most edges of the flue "cooler" than just a discharge only flue!!  on my workshops washroom , i have a std boiler "twin" flue at about 12" away from just std clear corrigated poly sheet, and has been for about 8 years, with no ill effect!!
just a thought!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2005, 9:56am

Jon have you thought about using glass for the roof? Laminated is better than toughened IMHO, the only problem could be the weight Undecided

IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2005, 11:34am

[quote author=WOLF  link=1133556172/0#4 date=1133688014]HJ, i know this might sound daft, but when the boiler is running, have you tried to "gingerly" put the BACK of your hand to the side of the flue!! is it very hot ........... on my workshops washroom , i have a std boiler "twin" flue at about 12" away from just std clear corrigated poly sheet, and has been for about 8 years, with no ill effect!! [/quote]

It's not that hot. I can put my hand right over the exhaust and not get burnt, but I don't know how the poly will cope for long periods. I can always move my hand but not the poly. Though if it last 5 years then needs replacing I could live with that since it's only about £30 for a sheet of poly.

12" is something for to work from. The fact that it's lasted so long means that is a good minimum for me to work from.

We've hadn't about glass, thinking it'll be too awckward to install and heavy to boot. Also it would have to be obscure since next door's landing window would look into the porch. With poly I just need 3 3000x900 sheets to cover the whole porch and only need a simple purlin in the centre to hold up the poly.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print