Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 11:24am
Quote: Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mortgage Survey - Wall Ties (Read 14751 times)
The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: Mortgage Survey - Wall Ties
Reply #17 - Jun 18th, 2006, 11:44am

I've recently seen a method involved whereby a large rubber 'sausage' was inserted up the chimney and inflated, then cemet or some kind of liquid refractory lining material was poured down the chimney and left to set for a couiple of days.

Is this a common method of chimney lining these days?

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

MarkS
Reply #18 - Jun 18th, 2006, 3:15pm

Yes the chimneycrete thing.

Im not a fan because it is fixed, you cant easily remove it later so goes against the basic tennets of conserving older buildings.   It puts a lot of extra weight on the stack which may be a problem in old houses (foundations - what be they then?).  Also if it cracks how do you repair it ?   It is also quite expensive, more expensive than a flexy liner. If you want insulation either use the wrappers or dry granules (just carefull not to remove the register plate Wink.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #19 - Jul 25th, 2006, 5:40pm

Been away for a couple of weeks due to the house move and lack of internet connection at new address - still ongoing grrr!

Situation with dodgy stacks is still 'live'. Builder has erected scaffolding to inspect at close quarters but he was not prepared to make judgement on whether they needed rebuilding or just repointing. He recommended a structural engineer to come and take a look. Engineer reckoned that only repoint needed, I disagreed based on the following observations:

Measured lean on both stacks is over 30mm per metre. BRE recommend rebuild if lean exceeds 10mm per metre.
Existing lime mortar is totally shot, no cohesion at all can be scraped out with finger or brushed out with stiff paint brush. In some areas where repointing has been carried out previously there is no original mortar left behing the repointing
The chimney can be rocked by hand with moderate pressure applied although the engineer??!! ??? :-D reckoned that he couldn't make this happen. My 9 yr old could make it rock!!

When questioned about his survey technique he was very vague about how he carried out his inpection and did not reference any kind of standard or criteria against which he was checking. I don't actually believe that he climbed the scaffold but looked at the job from ground level with a pair of Bino's.

Have since consulted what I believe to be  Bona Fide Building Surveyors who all seem to agree that the stacks need to be dismantled and rebuilt.

Please could someone give me a guestimate how much to dismantle & rebuild for 2no stacks using the original cleaned-up bricks and including scaffold. Stacks are 2 stretchers wide x 6 stretchers deep. One is about 2.5m above roof level and the other is about 2m above roof level, deepest Sussex down by the sea.

Thanks

Gammy

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Reply #20 - Jul 31st, 2006, 4:50pm

Chaps,

Just had another 'reputable' builder round to price up chimney and wall tie work.( By reputable I mean someone who turns up when they say they will. Original builder seems to have gone to ground and won't answer his phone after numerous promises of 'starting tomorrow')
This new chap has called into question the need to replace the ties at all saying that the bulging in the rendering is unrelated and probably just signs of previous remedial work.
Could someone please describe what exactly I would see if indeed the ties were corroding? Would there be continuous horizontal bulging along the faces of the wall at regular vertical intervals or would there just be intermittant bulges that correspond to the location of each individual tie??

Thanks

Gammy

IP Logged

Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Reply #21 - Aug 1st, 2006, 9:40am

Update - Checked walls last night with covermeter and can pretty much confirm that bulging render coincides with where wall ties are located. In areas of very bad bulging detection of ties is almost impossible probably due to ties having completely corroded away.

Gammy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print