Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 10:39am
Quote: A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roofing felt? (Read 4078 times)
xt600

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Roofing felt?
Jul 26th, 2006, 7:38pm

Hi all...i have just aquired a house in Bulgaria and need some advice please....
The roof tiles are of the 'half pipe' type, all piled on top of each other and not fixed down as is the tradition in much of Europe.
I am replacing the tiles with interlocking clay tiles which will be nailed in place. The woodwork all looks in good condition, so i plan to keep as is apart from replacing battens for new tiles. However, the woodwork is made from round sections straight from the tree, thus making it more difficult to lay tiles straight. My question is, should i use roof felt underneath the new tiles? I have been told that it is possible to get hold of a breathable membrane (similar to tyvek i would assume) but it will be difficult to lay it on such an eneven roof, even if i double up the battens.
What are the benefits of using a membrane and what would be the consequences of not using it?
Your opinions please!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Roofing felt?
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2006, 10:55pm

i have asked JD to pop in here and try to answer your question dear chap..........

one point i can't seem to get/clarify, the "round" woodwork, is it the battens that are circular, or are the actual joists, them selves the "round" lumber!??

hope fully JD will appear soon!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

xt600

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2006, 11:07pm

Hi wolf...well, everything is circular, straight from the tree...and all over the place! It's all sound though so only plan to renew the battens to suit new tiles. Will have to notch out and/or pack some of the 'rafters' to try and level things up!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2006, 11:31pm

now i get ya!!!!
thanks......

come on JD.........    Roll Eyes

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2006, 12:41am

Nag, nag, nag Wolfie, it's like having two wives!

:-D

But thanks for the pm Wolfie, I thought you would answer this as it's a wood question.........  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Well, I've lost my copy of the Bulgarian Building Regs (I lent it to a mate....) but as far as I can see your main problem will be getting the battens 'flat' for interlocking tiles.

Interlocking tiles don't like uneven roofs  Sad

As far as the breathable felt is concerned, what does everyone else out there use?  It's approved and ok for the UK but who knows what rules they have over there?

I don't understand your statement "I have been told that it is possible to get hold of a breathable membrane (similar to tyvek i would assume) but it will be difficult to lay it on such an eneven roof, even if i double up the battens."  Breathable felt couldn't care less how uneven your roof is, it just lays there (like 'er indoors  :-D).  It's the battens that don't like an uneven roof.

Possibly the only way would be to find the highest point of the existing rafters and pack out all the battens to suit that high point.  A slow and tedious job.

Perhaps that's why the east europeans use the 'half pipe' tiles?

Can you post a picture?

Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2006, 12:48am by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2006, 12:44am

Thanks JD, .....

(from your second wife...NAG NAG!!!!)
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2006, 8:29am

"When in Rome" comes to mind  Roll Eyes

Why do you want to use interlocking tiles?

IP Logged

xt600

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2006, 9:11am

Hi all and thanks for the replies.
In Bulgaria i have not yet seen a roof with felt but im sure they use it on newer buildings. As for regs...well, it changes depending on who you ask and where u live!
I can assure you no one will come knocking if i fail to use felt! The reason i want to use interlocking tiles is because the old type blow off...and most roofs are covered with rocks to hold them down! Hard hat area!
But, they don't care because no one sues because no one has any money!
I will try to level things off from the highest point...but still unsure of the benefits of using membrane under tiles....
Colin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2006, 9:34am

the benefits are:

1) It keeps the loft clean, all that airbourne dust and debris will make a loft and its contents very dirty over time.

2) It's a second line of defence against leaks.  If a couple of tiles blow off during a storm the felt acts as a temporary membrane hopefully sending rainwater down into the gutters.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print