Quote: Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up - Jesse Jackson

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prep before papering (Read 1624 times)
bruciebonus
GDPR opt-out

Prep before papering
Nov 6th, 2006, 2:35pm

I'm going to paper a kid's bedroom. The plastered walls have previously been emulsioned but there's a fair bit of making good of screw holes and imperfections in the plasterwork.

Can I get away with papering once I've flushed everything off or should I "paint" something onto the wall which will seal everything. Other areas of the house were easy to strip because the walls had been painted with what looked like silk emulsion underneath.

I'd prefer not to paper but want to know that it can come off easily enough in the future.°

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Re: Prep before papering
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2006, 2:52pm

Good Game, good game. If you stripped old paper off the walls, then start by washing the old paste off. Now you are left with emulsioned walls. Do all the usual 'making good' and rubbing down, making sure that there are no little 'nibs' that will show through the finished paper.

The walls are emulsioned so they will not need sizing, however it would be good to seal all the making good. If you use paint, you run the risk of it showing through the finished paper, so use a weak paste mix, and make sure that it is dry before papering. If you have making good all over the place, then you might as well size all the walls.

If they are bad, cross line with 1000 grade or 1200 grade lining paper, let dry and hang wallpaper.

Make a good job for maximum points.
What do points make?...

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print