Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 8:30pm
Quote: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax - Albert Einstein

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Painting a Stained Ceiling? (Read 3658 times)
WiZ3R
GDPR opt-out

Painting a Stained Ceiling?
Sep 25th, 2007, 9:19am

Hi Guys

I am renovating my house and am now in the paint stages.  It looks like at one point the radiator above the lounge leaked and has stained the ceiling.  I tried painting it last night with Dulux Trade Supermatt paint.  The stains bled through immediately.

At the start of the project a pro painter looked at the room and told me I'd need to PVA it, which I did (1 part PVA to 5 Parts water)

I also have a problem with the fresh paint flaking whilst rolling?

I have seen a product by PolyCell called BaseCoat... is this what I need?

IP Logged

corablimey
GDPR opt-out

Re: Painting a Stained Ceiling?
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2007, 9:47pm

Hi Wiz,No matter how many coats of paint you put on the stain it will still bleed through, and PVA wont touch it.
What you have to do is to get some oilbase undercoat, it must be oilbase,you could use eggshell, as long as its a matt type finish, and oilbase, but its better with UC, and paint that on every inch of the stain, even go a couple inches extra, when dry, either roll the stain area with a thinnish emulsion or use a brush.
When dry, then roll the whole wall.

You can either use UC, any old UC will do, preferably white, and it works out cheaper.

Or you can use alkali primer sealer which is very expensive, personally I would go with the UC, and add a bit of white spirit, so its not slapped on too thick.

I have used this method umpteen times and it never fails. Grin

Your flaking paint problem.....  I need a few more details before I can give you the proper advice.

Firstly, what finish was the existing paint?....
What are you putting on it, ie matt, silk, softsheen.
Did you dilute your first coat, or use straight from the can?

I dont think you will need the basecoat stuff, but like I said, I need a bit more info. Smiley

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2007, 12:49pm

What about THIS STUFF?
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2007, 12:50pm by JerryD »  

IP Logged

corablimey
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2007, 6:51pm

Hi Jerry, a lot of people use this product, specially DIYers, as they are not aware that UC does the same thing.
Companies bring out stuff, charge over the top for something that if you have a look in your garage, you could probably find an old tin of UC. Grin

I would even go as far to say, that the UC method is much better than the actual 'Dulux alkali sealer', and that costs a small fortune.

I always prefer the UC method for staines, its not just good for wood lol.

Infact I had to undercoat a bathroom ceiling this morning, something completely different to the staining, but I was at my wits end yesterday over the bathroom ceiling, it was a nightmare. Shocked

Undercoated it first thing, put a coat of emulsion on it this afternoon, and it looks fantastic.
I also painted doors with the UC as well lol

IP Logged

WiZ3R
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2007, 8:31am

Thanks very much Cora.  I used Dulux Trade Undercoat on it yesterday about 15:00pm and when I left at 8pm the stain had not bled through.  I will give it another coat of white and then I think the boss wants a light brown colour on it.  That'll do it Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2007, 8:32am by WiZ3R »  

IP Logged

Badger
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2007, 8:49am

Quote:
Thanks very much Cora.  I used Dulux Trade Undercoat on it yesterday about 15:00pm and when I left at 8pm the stain had not bled through.  I will give it another coat of white and then I think the boss wants a light brown colour on it.  That'll do it Wink

thats going to look s**te then aint it  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

corablimey
GDPR opt-out

Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2007, 8:12pm

Your welcome wiz  Grin

Did you get the flakey paint sorted out also?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print