Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 7:45am
Quote: If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Laying a Laminate Floor (Read 3138 times)
XDR5
GDPR opt-out

Laying a Laminate Floor
Dec 6th, 2007, 1:48pm

I'm helping a mate lay a laminate floor this weekend and would value any advice.  It's one of those from B&Q that comes in strips which lock together.  I'm pretty handy with most DIY jobs but neither one of us has done this type of job before.

Two rooms have been knocked-through into one and the new single room is about 6.5m x 3m so I assume a "floating" floor is OK?

One end of the room has a chipboard floor (which I have just laid so it is pretty flat) and the other end has old-fashioned floorboards.  Where the two meet we have managed to get the floors level to within 1mm or so.

We're going to be using a plastic membrane over the wooden floors and this is smooth one side with small round compressable "domes" at 30mm spacings the other.  I would have chosen foam or felt underlay but my mate has got this stuff cheap through his job so wants to use it.

Would it be best to use it smooth side down or smooth side up??

Will using this plastic membrane cause any problems ? (I think it may make the room noisy).

Any guidance/tips re the actual laying of the floor??

Any help most appreciated :0)

George.

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Laying a Laminate Floor
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2007, 3:04pm

lay exactly according to the instructions do not be tempted to skimp on the expansion gap especialy on the longer length where it is close to the limit if not slightly over

are you fammiliar with undercutting the archatraves and door frames to get a beat finnish!!!!!

are you planning on removing the skirting or using beading!!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2007, 3:06pm by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

XDR5
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2007, 4:51pm

Thanks for the quick reply.  In answer to your questions:

When you say "do not be tempted to skimp on the expansion gap" I assume you mean we must leave at least the recommended gap rather than something less?

I am not familiar with "undercutting the architraves" and do not know what a "beat finish" is - please explain.

All existing skirting was removed as all the walls have been replastered/skimmed.  We are intending to fit all new skirting (stuck to the walls) and this will be done after the floor is layed.  The plan is that, for most of the floor edge, beading will not be necessary.

Any further advice much appreciated :0)

George.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2007, 5:00pm

beat finish = neat finish

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2007, 5:16pm

Is this plastic membrane specifically made to go under laminate?

If not do not use it but get the proper foam underlay designed for the job. Skimping on something like this will just cause you trouble in the future, when fixing the problem will be a massive pain.

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2007, 6:36pm

yep slip of the keyboard "neat" Roll Eyes

you undercut the archatrave and door frame by 10mm
lay a piece of your underlay and offcut of your flooring upside down  beside the frame/archatrave lay handsaw blade flat on top  and saw in 10mm
use a 20 or 22" saw then you have enough flex to hold the blade flat  hold the handle comfortably and still have enough swing to saw

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

XDR5
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2007, 9:30pm

Thanks for all the advice chaps - very helpful.  Looks like I'm going to have an interesting weekend on my knees.

I've also read the previous thread on skirting which was very helpful.  Hopefully I'll soon be able to add "scribing" to my list of skills !!

George.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print