Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 8:12am
Quote: My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Semi Circular Bench Plans (Read 16058 times)
Bayden_Rank
GDPR opt-out

Semi Circular Bench Plans
Feb 21st, 2008, 8:41am

I want to make a semi circular bench to fit into a walled part of my garden.  It would be almost like the sort of thing you find for going around trees but reversed.

My carpentry skills are limited - as in I can cope with mortice and tenon joints but prefer not to Undecided

I am also thinking that it will need to be made in a series of flat sections (hexagonal) rather than a continuous curve.
Any suggestions as to where I might obtain plans? Also what timber would be best for outside use?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2008, 9:46am by Bayden_Rank »  

IP Logged

Dolallytap
GDPR opt-out

Re: Semi Circular Bench Plans
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2008, 6:50pm

Hi

What is the radius you what the bench to fit ?

I would say you have the choice of three timbers Teak, Iroko or cedar all have natural oils to keep them in good condition. But you can also consider European oak or pressure treated soft wood.

Regarding construction the back and front rails could be laminated from strips of your choice of timber. And regarding the number of segments that depends on the radius.

Let me have the radius and I will do a quick drawing for you to consider.      

IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2008, 8:55pm

Quote:
Hi

What is the radius you what the bench to fit ?

I would say you have the choice of three timbers Teak, Iroko or cedar all have natural oils to keep them in good condition. But you can also consider European oak or pressure treated soft wood.

Regarding construction the back and front rails could be laminated from strips of your choice of timber. And regarding the number of segments that depends on the radius.

Let me have the radius and I will do a quick drawing for you to consider.      

Many thanks - the area is shown below.  It has a 50 inch radius but is not a full 180 degrees.  

Please excuse poor drawing - I am a bit rusty.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2008, 9:30am by Bayden_Rank »  

IP Logged

Dolallytap
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2008, 1:32pm

This is a very http://www.practicaljoineryandcabinetryguides.co.uk/Guide/Semi%20Circular%20Benc... drawing[/url] showing the area split into 3 sections it also shows a cross section of a garden bench. Before I do any more have a good look and take note of the dims. And can you tell me what is at the back of the proposed bench is it a garden wall?

This link is no longer working, please see new link new drawing
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2008, 6:49pm by Dolallytap »  

IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2008, 1:47pm

That looks fine to me.  The seat area is bounded by a brick wall that sits approximately 50 to 60 mm behind the semi circle that the seat would sit upon.

Thanks

IP Logged

Dolallytap
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2008, 5:33pm

Would you post a photo please ?

IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
GDPR opt-out

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2008, 6:11pm

OK I will try to sort it over the weekend as I have to clear a load of plastic crap my grandchildrens garden toys I am storing for my daughter.

IP Logged

Dolallytap
GDPR opt-out

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2008, 9:38pm

Just got your photo via PM will look at it after the weekend only I will exhibiting my display cabinets etc over the weekend so at the mow a little pushed for time but I am sure you will understand.

IP Logged

Dolallytap
GDPR opt-out

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2008, 11:39pm

At long last I have produced a New Drawing for your consideration. I have taken the liberty of asking the guys in the decorating section for advice on the metal work finish.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2008, 12:01am by Dolallytap »  

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #9 - Mar 14th, 2008, 7:42am

Asuming its fabricated from mild steel then the best finish will be to get it hot dip galvanized. This can be left as is or have it powder coated or treat with a proper primer for galv metal then finish paint with oilbased paint.

Thats a very tight radius for the angle at the front of the seat, may be better to carry the flat of the back along the seat and weld to a 40x3 flat to make the angle.

Jason
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2008, 7:48am by jasonB »  

IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
GDPR opt-out

Reply #10 - Mar 14th, 2008, 8:17am

Many thanks for that DL it looks good.  I will have a word with herself when she gets back and then a talk to my son regarding the steelwork.

Thanks also to Jason for the advice on finishing the metal elements.

I will let you know what we decide.

IP Logged

Dolallytap
GDPR opt-out

Reply #11 - Mar 14th, 2008, 9:07am

Quote:
Asuming its fabricated from mild steel then the best finish will be to get it hot dip galvanized. This can be left as is or have it powder coated or treat with a proper primer for galv metal then finish paint with oilbased paint.

Thats a very tight radius for the angle at the front of the seat, may be better to carry the flat of the back along the seat and weld to a 40x3 flat to make the angle.

Jason

Hi

Yes it is proposed to use Mild steel as stated in the notes

I would presume the fabricators would remove one leg of the angle, form the radius. Cut to shape a piece 3mm plate to suite and weld it in position. But its down to the steel fabricator to make his or her recommendations on the fabrication techniques.

Regarding the finish would Hammerite – Hammered finish give a rustic look say in the dark green?

IP Logged

Dolallytap
GDPR opt-out

Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2008, 9:10am

Quote:
Many thanks for that DL it looks good.  I will have a word with herself when she gets back and then a talk to my son regarding the steelwork.

Thanks also to Jason for the advice on finishing the metal elements.

I will let you know what we decide.

Hi

The drawing is to scale on A3 paper if you would like a hard copy them PM me with your address and I will put a couple of copies in the post.

IP Logged

Twobarrows
GDPR opt-out

Reply #13 - Mar 14th, 2008, 1:48pm

Just a point, it all appears to be hanging on the wall, are you confident that the wall will hold it ?

IP Logged

Dolallytap
GDPR opt-out

Reply #14 - Mar 14th, 2008, 5:53pm

Quote:
Just a point, it all appears to be hanging on the wall, are you confident that the wall will hold it ?

Hi

True it dose hang / fit over the header of the wall plus two fixing (M8 coach screws) into the wall as stated in the notes (page 2)

IP Logged

Dolallytap
GDPR opt-out

Reply #15 - Mar 14th, 2008, 6:51pm

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2008, 7:45pm by Dolallytap »  

IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
GDPR opt-out

Reply #16 - Mar 14th, 2008, 8:31pm

Quote:

The wall seems to be well built 9" with a top of Engineering bricks on edge.  The curve I would assume would give a greater strength say than a straight wall of similar construction.

I am open to advice.

One benefit to me is that if the supports are painted say a dark green then the bench will appear to float in space.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print