Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 7:19am
Quote: Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Types of Screw Head (Read 15953 times)
chris18
GDPR opt-out

Types of Screw Head
Feb 27th, 2008, 8:49am

This may seem a silly question but here goes.

I'm about to start laying some decking and need to get some new screwdriver bits (titanium) for my power tool.

Past experience has shown that unless the screwdriver bit and screw head match then it very easy to burr either quickly even with the torque set low.

I get confused over the different type of screwhead/driver bits available and how to identify which is which, especially pozi etc.

Looking at eBay the most popular seem to be S2(?).

Does anyone know of anywhere that lists/displays the different types or how I can make sure I'm using the right bit for the screw?

Thanks

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Types of Screw Head
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2008, 9:03am

I like the torque screws, I think you can get them from most builders merchants now

The screw head has 6 points, the same as they use in the motor trade
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2008, 9:03am by thescruff »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2008, 10:06am

in woodwork 90percent use pozi 2[pz 2]

imperial [usualy silver]no4 use pozi 1 no6 to no10 use pozi 2 no12s use pozi 3

metric [usualy gold or yellow] 3mm to 6mm all use pozi 2 [sometimes 3mm uses pozi1]

although you can normaly tell a pozi screw from the cross within a cross on the head somtimes on no4silver screws a philips no1can be a better fit

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

chris18
Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2008, 12:04pm

thescruff

Thanks for the info.

big_all wrote on Feb 27th, 2008, 10:06am:
in woodwork 90percent use pozi 2[pz 2]

imperial [usualy silver]no4 use pozi 1 no6 to no10 use pozi 2 no12s use pozi 3

metric [usualy gold or yellow] 3mm to 6mm all use pozi 2 [sometimes 3mm uses pozi1]

although you can normaly tell a pozi screw from the cross within a cross on the head somtimes on no4silver screws a philips no1can be a better fit

Thanks for the info that's really useful.

Are pozi2 also marked as ph2? My power drill came with two dual ended bits one flat and one marked ph2. The latter seems to fit snuggly into some gold value pack 6m decking screws I bought recently from B&Q.

The head of the screw has a cross where the bit fits and this is disected by a diagnol cross, if get my meaning. Is this what you were referring to when you say the cross within a cross

It used to be much simpler in the old days when it was just flat or philips, even easier when it was flat or nothing!!

Edit

Just looked at eBay and see that PH2 are in fact Philips not pozi so how are pozi heads marked? There are some 25 DeWALT 25mm Ph2 Screwdriver Bits. Model: DT7909 which is the right ones could be worth getting as they are only £7 including delivery and although it doesn't say titanium it does say they are tough.

As I said the ph2 head I have seems a snug fit but could the screw heads be something else?
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2008, 12:11pm by chris18 »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2008, 12:39pm

PZ are pozi-drive screws and PH are Philloips based screws!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2008, 7:39pm

Quote:
The head of the screw has a cross where the bit fits and this is disected by a diagnol cross, if get my meaning. Is this what you were referring to when you say the cross within a cross

yes both driver bit and screw have a cross within a cross
where as philips are a simple x

although philips may seem to fit when you load up the screw they push out and chew up the head[cam out]

a good fitting bit will hold a screw underneath
you certainly shouldnt get any rocking of the screw on the bit

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2008, 8:19pm

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2008, 8:20pm by Dolallytap »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

RabbitRabbit
Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2008, 8:31pm

What's wrong with a Passlode somewhat quicker  Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chris18
Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2008, 8:36pm

big_all wrote on Feb 27th, 2008, 7:39pm:
Quote:

yes both driver bit and screw have a cross within a cross
where as philips are a simple x

although philips may seem to fit when you load up the screw they push out and chew up the head[cam out]

a good fitting bit will hold a screw underneath
you certainly shouldnt get any rocking of the screw on the bit

Good advice plainly told.

Quote:

Now that's what I was looking for, something a grey haired old twit like me can refer, to but couldn't see how to access or download any of the  guides. to see if there was anything else useful.

From the diagrams the screws I have definitely have philips heads so I have bought the set from eBay.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chris18
Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2008, 8:42pm

Quote:
What's wrong with a Passlode somewhat quicker  Wink

If I'm not mistaken a Passlode is an air/gas nail gun? Good for the pro but even at eBay prices (£150) not cost effective for the odd job like the decking I'm going to build, but thanks for the thought anyway.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

RabbitRabbit
Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2008, 8:58pm

True Chris BUT for me time is either money or freedom.

So if its a professional job then time its money if its a diy job then its freedom.

How about hiring a nail gun for the weekend? Has additional advantages if swmbo gives you ear-ache about how long the job is taking between pints the Passlode sometimes pops off it 'odd' directions  Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

RabbitRabbit
Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2008, 9:12pm

Seriously though ... I have spent weekends screwing down decking and I have used a Paslode, I promise you I will NEVER EVER screw a deck again still have the marks to prove it ... why not ..

http://www.hss.com/g/30118/Needle-Gun-Air.html

No I don't work for HSS, in act I don't like them that much but at that day price you will be down the pub by lunchtime using a nail gun, or you will be screwing until mid-night (no pun intended!)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2008, 10:46pm

Quote:

Now that's what I was looking for, something a grey haired old twit like me can refer, to but couldn't see how to access or download any of the  guides. to see if there was anything else useful.

Practical Joinery & Cabinetry Guides

Is a new website I am developing to give clear practical guides but will not be a forum. Should the visitor not find what he or she is looking for they will be given the chance of visiting one of the forums including this one on the forum page.

This forum and have been invited to submit guides etc and I would give full credit to the author / forum it will just be put in a standard format.

Three guides have been produced to date have a look and give me your comments plus any suggestions on guides etc you would like to see. I will not be publishing any guides on electrical or plumbing / gas fitting as both these trades in the wrong hands can kill.

www.practicaljoineryandcabinetryguides.co.uk

http://www.practicaljoineryandcabinetryguides.co.uk/Guide/How%20to%20Guide%20Flo...

http://www.practicaljoineryandcabinetryguides.co.uk/Guide/How-2-Guide%20Solid%20...

http://www.practicaljoineryandcabinetryguides.co.uk/Guide/Timber%20Partition%20W...

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2008, 10:51pm by Dolallytap »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2008, 8:15am

Worth checking out "Timberlock" screws for joining larger outdoor timbers. These have a hex head. Wickes have their own brand that are similar. I used them to fix some old hardwood railway sleepers together. It depends on the timber but in my case I was able to screw them 2 & 1/2 inches into a sleeper without a pilot hole. eg I was drilling a clearance hole through one sleeper only, one tap with a hammer to start them then a hex bit in my power drill to drive them in. They are black so you don't notice them once the sleepers are creosoted - otherwise you could countersink the heads or use dowel plugs. Some people say they are strong enough to pull a curved railway sleeper flat.

IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #14 - Feb 28th, 2008, 12:24pm

>I will not be publishing any guides on electrical or plumbing / gas >fitting as both these trades in the wrong hands can kill.
Unlike table saws, band saws, mitre saws, chisels.....

just kidding, honest Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print