Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 5:32am
Quote: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engineered/Solid Flooring (Read 3523 times)
Sandy

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Engineered/Solid Flooring
Apr 13th, 2008, 5:24pm

Hi All,

I'm looking at re-flooring one (or possibly more depending on how it goes) of my ground floor room/s. I'm considering using flooring called "Bausen" from James Latham (http://www.lathamtimber.co.uk/images/literature/hardwood%20flooring.pdf), but have a few questions.

Current situation - T&G floorboarding down now (but not in a good state) on top of solid wooden joists. The joists are held into the brickwork with about 18/20" gap between the underside of the joists and the ground/earth.

Questions
1) Solid Wood Flooring - felled timber, sawn, planed/thicknessed, T&G's added and stress grooves added to the underneath, (sometimes finished in some way ie stained/lacquered etc) Is this correct, Yes/No?

2) Engineered Flooring - Essentially plywood layered up with the top layer being the best face and again, sometimes treated. Is this correct, Yes/No?

3)If the above is correct, am I right in saying that engineered flooring is likely to be more stable with less of a tendancy to warp and/or shrink?

4) Beyond leaving the flooring indoors for a few days to acclimatise and leaving expansion gaps when laying, do I need to do anything else? Is it just a case of ripping the old flooring up and laying down the new flooring?

5) Has anyone used this product before and is it any good?

Thanks in advance.

Sandy.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2008, 5:27pm by Sandy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Engineered/Solid Flooring
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2008, 11:13pm

Hi Sandy,

I couldn't link to the page you posted Undecided

1 Yes
2 Sort of yes; the top layer is normally a thick layer of timber glued to a ply back.
3 Yes, but engineered flooring comes in relatively short lengths whereas timber flooring can be supplied in long lengths
4 timber will need maybe 2 weeks to aclimatise, engineered often doesn't need any aclimatisation. However laying a floor on joists does present more of a challenge if the sub base is earth or damp concrete.

Keith
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2008, 11:14pm by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2008, 9:08am

We laid 21mm thick Engineered Oak over UFH. Very happy with it. One advantage is that you can safely use wider boards. Ours are 210mm wide. Normally suppliers of solid wood say you have to keep the width down to 130mm ish whan using UFH.

Basically its 14/15mm of good plywood with 6/7mm of oak on the top. The oak goes down to the tounge so it can be resanded about the same number of times as solid before the T7G fails.

We went for Osmo Hardwaxoil  finish. Highly recommended as it can be recoated without the new and old looking too different. Got ours from Kenton Jones/Woods of Wales...

http://www.woodsofwales.co.uk/

I looked at samples from about 20 different companies and the finish ranged from a nice brown to a horrible orange so well worth the exercise.

They supplied mixed length packs but about half of ours is around 2.9 meter. I've no issue with the length.

Don't forget to add insulation if taking up the floor. Perhaps nail gun battens either side of the joists to form a rail to rest solid sheet insulation on. Will need to comply with building regs.

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2008, 3:14pm

Aesthetics also comes into it and also depends on what type your house is.  IMO engineered boards are best sited for more modern properties. If your house is old then real wood ..with it's differing widths and lengths and knotty bits looks miles better.

Why rip up the existing boards unless you need to maintain floor heights.  De[pending how old your property is but you may find that when they laid the current boards that they cut and chiselled away loads underneath in order to compensate for non-flat joists. So if you rip up the existing boards then you may find yourself with a whole load of extra work.  At least at the moment the existing boards are pretty flat, I would guess and so a good surface to lay down the new stuff on.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2008, 12:24am

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print