Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Warped Door (Read 5031 times)
Bayden_Rank
GDPR opt-out

Warped Door
May 4th, 2008, 3:19pm

Hi

My problem is a warped bedroom door.  The house was built around 1890 and the doors are original.  The one bedroom door is warped such that when the [handle side] top hits the rebate the latch will not engage and the bottom of the door is way out.

Is there any thanks that can be done or is it a case of having a matching door made up?

This is a picture of a similar but OK door.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Warped Door
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2008, 3:38pm

Easiest option if you have door stops rather than a moulded frame; take them off and re-fit to compensate for the door.

Otherwise the door can be cut down through the joints and reassembled, perhaps just replacing one stile, rather than buy a modern door which is unlikely to match
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2008, 3:39pm by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2008, 3:44pm

Hi Thanks for that info.  The frame is moulded so it looks like disassembly may be the only route or a custom made door.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2008, 11:45pm

Hi

Have a look at the internal door lining refurbishment guide it may not answer your question in full but you may find bits which could be of help.

You could try cutting out the offending part of the door stop / rebate. Then using part of the guide make good the frame.  

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Sandy

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2008, 9:25am

Hiya,

Might be an obvious question, but I've had a similar issue last year. Are you sure it's the door and not the frame/lining?

I thought I'd got a warped door (possible as it was bought from Wickes), however, when I checked, it was the frame that wasn't plumb.

Just a thought before you hack up an old door.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #5 - May 14th, 2008, 5:12pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.  

The door problem is now on the back burner until the Autumn as there are a few thinsg ahead of it in importance rigth now and as it is the guest bedroom they can lump it Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print