Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 9:22am
Quote: Why do people without a watch look at their wrist when you ask them what time it is?

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Home office / study for a Parkinson’s sufferer (Read 13396 times)
Dolallytap
GDPR opt-out

Home office / study for a Parkinson’s sufferer
Apr 14th, 2008, 7:07pm

I have been commissioned to design and make a home office for a client which I have done many times before but this one is different, The client is a Parkinson’s sufferer and is losing control down his left-hand side. I have had a long talk with the client regarding accessibility etc. He still wants to use his left-hand side for as long as possible so all the furniture will be made to be adaptable left-hand or right-hand use. The wall mounted cupboards to have sliding doors (by all accounts he keeps hitting his head on wall mounted cabinet doors when they are open due to his brain telling one thing and his eye sight saying something else) The client is in the early stages of the disease.  

The computers 22”monitor will be wall mounted on a tilt and turn bracket which will be also mounted on a slide so it will have lateral movement the full width of the desk / worktop (1600mm) The tower will be housed in one of the mobile pedestal units so will be the printer and scanner, both mounted on pull out shelves. The computer system will be voice activated and I am already in discussion with the IT guys regarding there requirements. All power sockets will be placed within easy reach.

That’s the background and as the design stands at this moment.  I am about to put lines on the AutoCAD.

I was wondering if there should be anything else I could take into account or if any one has had any experience in designing such or similar items for a Parkinson’s sufferer.

IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

Its more complicated than
I first thought

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: Home office / study for a Parkinson’s suffer
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2008, 7:46pm

Im sure there will be some other good ideas along soon

And I have no experience of Parkinsons,

But what about good lighting I know as we all get older our eyes require better lighting,
Maybe take in to account reflections off of the monitor from a central light (and shadows)?
Under cabinet lights? (fluorescents not spots as spots can be ‘glarey’ if that’s a word)

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2008, 9:13pm

sparky415 wrote on Apr 14th, 2008, 7:46pm:
Im sure there will be some other good ideas along soon

And I have no experience of Parkinsons,

But what about good lighting I know as we all get older our eyes require better lighting,
Maybe take in to account reflections off of the monitor from a central light (and shadows)?
Under cabinet lights? (fluorescents not spots as spots can be ‘glarey’ if that’s a word)

Hi Sparky

I don’t know how to describe this so bear with me. How about a inverted light box, like you see in an hospital for displaying x-rays, but mounted on the underside of the wall mounted cupboards ?        

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2008, 9:41pm

things like a 2" overhang on the top to allow gentle radius curves on the top springs to mind

self closing drawers  and doors that fully open out the way

build the desk around a seat with arms that will give the nesesery support and comfort

plan the important equipment on the rhs with any equipment  on the l h s facing towars the centre incase it require  it rerquires lh operation

also things like 6 way sockets firmly affixed and fairly handy incase of one hand operation

you realy need to find out if he wants to be able to connect and disconnect components or just use the computer in a normal way and rely on someone else for more complicated operations
a multi socket with a master plug would be a nice touch so when the master plug is turned off [computer ] everything else turns off and on screen printer sound ect

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

I first thought

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2008, 9:47pm

That would work but maybe try something like this

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/37663/Lighting/Internal-Lighting/Utility-Lighting/...

comes in different lengths

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2008, 10:20pm

I would have thought self opening drawers would be an advatage for someone who is finding it hard to grip things.

http://www.omlfittings.co.uk/product.php?prodId=861

IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2008, 10:21pm

sparky415 wrote on Apr 14th, 2008, 9:47pm:
That would work but maybe try something like this

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/37663/Lighting/Internal-Lighting/Utility-Lighting/...

comes in different lengths

Hi Spark

The office is on the first floor and will be on the gallery so when you come up the stairs you will see the underside of the wall cupboard. So I would like the lights to look good. I use these lights already but you must admit that they are not the best looking.  

Have used these fittings before on projects page 60 - 64

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2008, 10:26pm

woodsmith wrote on Apr 14th, 2008, 10:20pm:
I would have thought self opening drawers would be an advatage for someone who is finding it hard to grip things.

Hi Woodsmith

Have a couple of pairs on order with the hettich rep as samples also looking at self opening doors i.e. push to open.  

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2008, 11:19pm

quite possibly i was thinking more along removing sharp edges incase of spasms

but i must admit apart from being  muscle wasting disease i dont know the exact effects  or possible side effects of the medication taken to contol it Huh Huh

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2008, 11:44pm

big_all wrote on Apr 14th, 2008, 11:19pm:

quite possibly i was thinking more along removing sharp edges incase of spasms

but i must admit apart from being  muscle wasting disease i dont know the exact effects  or possible side effects of the medication taken to contol it Huh Huh

Matron “s.w.m.b.o” as stated would this type of drawer be more of a hindrance than a help i.e. if touched by accident would it pop out and be a safety issue ?  

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2008, 7:38am

As far as I know the drawer does not "pop open" but just projects enough to be able to grasp the top edge to open it; but I must admit to never using them personally, so I can not say for sure. Perhaps you will let us know what you think of them when you get the sample.

This is always the dilemma when designing for disabilities that whilst something is an advantage in one aspect is is a disadvantage in another.

Initially Parkinson's is characterised by muscle tremors, ultimately it is all consuming and the person is confined to a wheelchair. How much a person could use an office once they get to that stage is debatable. There are treatments available now which may help, my aunt had it 10 years ago and it was truly distressing.

IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

I first thought

Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2008, 9:43pm

Dolallytap

Those lights look great
Were you thinking of making something like the fitting on page 90 but built in?
You can get sheets of  ‘prismatic diffuser’ from electrical wholesalers (for office ceiling grids)
I have used a Stanley but you would probably use a fine-toothed jigsaw blade

IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #12 - Apr 15th, 2008, 11:31pm

sparky415 wrote on Apr 15th, 2008, 9:43pm:
Dolallytap

Those lights look great
Were you thinking of making something like the fitting on page 90 but built in?
You can get sheets of  ‘prismatic diffuser’ from electrical wholesalers (for office ceiling grids)
I have used a Stanley but you would probably use a fine-toothed jigsaw blade

Hi Spark

I don’t know if I will be using the fittings on page 63 they are only 18 x 14mm or 62 or 79  used them all before they are ok.

I will mount the light fittings in the underside of the wall cupboard so they will illuminate the desk / work top. Treated the electrician I work with to a coffee and a cream cake this afternoon to discuss the project. At this moment in time I am considering putting the tower, printer, scanner and another in single mobile pedestal unit. Housed in the base will be 3 twin 13amp sockets feed or supplied via a trailing lead. These sockets will be operated via grid system “?” mounted in the drawer. These will not only turn the power on or off for the computer etc but also the monitor and the lighting under the cupboards. Each of the switches will be illuminated and ladled so the client can see what is live and what isn’t. There will also be a main switch that will cut the power to all the appliances. I know this sounds as clear as mud, all know is that electricity works with 2 peaces of wet string, 1 elastic band with a knot in it, 2 tin cans which 1 must a beans tin and I some case a mirror.

If you are interested I can publish the design and specification when completed.      

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

I first thought

Reply #13 - Apr 16th, 2008, 6:20am

Sounds like your sparks has it sorted

Some of the lads I work with have the same ideas about electrickary as you do  Cheesy

A finished picture would be good

IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #14 - Apr 16th, 2008, 8:55am

Hi Sparks

Still very much concerned about reflections as you mentioned in your first reply. I have had what the electrician calls “one of those thoughts” at which point he puts his head in his hands and heads of to the door.

As mentioned I have concerns regarding reflections so I was wondering if I could use the fittings as mentioned but set them at 45 deg so the light produced would be reflected off the underside of the cupboard, thus hopefully keeping any reflections on the monitor to a minimum.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #15 - Apr 16th, 2008, 5:18pm

I had an elderly relative with Parkinsons.  I'd be thinking long term... perhaps a combined bedroom/office/TV room with ensuite on the ground floor. Parkinson can cause you to shuffle so perhaps watch for trip hazards - perhaps not your responsibility.  

I'm not sure I would bother wall mounting the monitor if it's just going to be used with the computer. I'm using a 22" Samsung LCD (great monitors) on the desk stand that came with it.  I don't think I've moved it in six months. Might be different if I wanted to use it as a TV as well while sitting in another chair/bed.

IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

I first thought

Reply #16 - Apr 16th, 2008, 9:47pm

I was thinking that offices with monitors have those nasty fluorescents with the grills
They also use up lighters and wall washers that reflect the lights off of the walls and ceilings (probably no good for you but it shows that reflections and glare is a problem with monitors)

I don’t know what you both have in mind; hopefully someone else will have some suggestions

But here are my thoughts
Just a couple of ideas for you and your customer to think about

Will your office look anything like this?

I was thinking maybe your built in light boxes for ambient lighting?
How about a bookcase light for some task lighting? The top cabinet should keep reflections off the monitor
I would have a play with various lights combinations and angles especially if you have a few odd lights hanging around
Hope I am helping and not making things more confusing   Undecided

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print