Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 7:04am
Quote: Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Uneven Floor need levelling (Read 8142 times)
sdcr1000
GDPR opt-out

Uneven Floor need levelling
Jul 10th, 2008, 7:21am

MY DIPPING FLOOR

The floor in the front room of my flat dips down in the middle by 40mm.  The room is 7m x 5m and consists of floorboards on joists.  The dip is due to the joists sagging slightly that I'm told is typical in Victorian houses.

HOW SHOULD I LEVEL IT...?

I'm about to put a new engineered wood flooring down, but need to get the floor levelled first.

What is the best way to get this levelled?  My builder has recommended lifting up the floorboards and attaching new timbers in parrallell to the sides of the joists and then fit 22mm caber deck flooring and lay the engineered flooring on top of that.   Is this the best way to solve my sagging floor problem...?

Any comments would be appreciated before I go and spend a load of cash on this!
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2008, 7:23am by sdcr1000 »  

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Uneven Floor need levelling
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2008, 8:19am

"Sistering" the joists as he proposes is a standard solution and probably the surest way but perhaps worth checking why they sagged when the floor is lifted. Could be they were just too small from the outset or the ends have rotted or a support mid span has settled. The cause might suggest another solution. If the ends have rotted then perhaps investigate the cause.

If this is a first floor flat then the new sister joists probably shouldn't be the same depth as the originals eg there should be a gap between the underside of the new joist and the plaster - this is to stop cracking of the plaster downstairs as the load comes back on the new floor.

Also if this is a first floor flat consider being a good neighbour and adding sound insulation...but watch out if they have downlights downstairs.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2008, 8:21am by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2008, 8:28am

Now that I think about it.. I think caberdeck has a plastic film on it. If you were planning on glueing the wood floor down (I wouldn't) then I guess it might interfere with that? Someone else will know.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2008, 9:04am

I don’t know if its worth considering using 18mm OSB to laminate your existing joists. It may well be more economical than using sister joists. Have a look at this guide  regarding the repair of floor after over doing the notching, it will give you the idea.  

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2008, 12:51pm

The other problem you have to bear in mind and allow costing for when strengthening joists is that any services passing through them (unless notched) will need removing to allow gluing / bolting together.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sdcr1000
Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2008, 2:34pm

Many thanks for the advice.  It's good to know that 'sistering' joists is standard practice.
I am in the 2nd floor so will put some sound proofing down, and I do have cables running through the existing joists so this will need some thought.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
sr

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print