Quote: I never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back - Zsa Zsa Gabor

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Appliance housing (Read 4658 times)
Dolallytap
GDPR opt-out

Appliance housing
Jul 12th, 2008, 9:49pm

This old wood shaving needs to learn a new trick. Can any one let me know what the construction details for a built in double oven housing? I know that it needs to be ventilated but by how much I don’t know, I also don’t know what else I need to take into account when constructing appliance housing. All I now is the standard off the shelf housing is 600mm wide. I have attempted to locate a site that gives construct details (drawing etc) but at the time of making the posting I have drawn a blank.

Any help would be most appreciated.

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: Appliance housing
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2008, 7:49am

Assuming its an undermount not eye level

Usual construction would be a base and sides the same of all your other base units then just a narrow rail along the top front edge. A singel would be the same but have an additional fixed shelf to raise the appliance up. No back to these carcases.

Though there are some doubles that have legs and just sit in a 600 gap or sit on metal angles that screw to the adjacent carcases, suggest you download the fitting details for whatever make/model it is.

Jason
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2008, 7:51am by jasonB »  

IP Logged

Dolallytap
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2008, 8:20am

Thank you Jason for taking the time and trouble in replying.  The oven in question is an eye level type, I will do as you recommend and try to locate and down load the installation destructions.  

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13
For This Post: 0

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2008, 9:17am

At last - something I feel I can contribute on.

Eye level suggests that it needs a taller cabinet.  But this will depend on the existing kitchen cabinet construction as well.  Are they carcasses ?  For example, the tall appliance unit I'm currently installing is nothing more nor less than two tall sheets of MFC with a top and bottom holding them together with cam bolts and glued dowels but anything would do - dowels, pocket screws, Festool Domino, biscuits.

The actual oven sits on top of a shelf which in turn sits on top of metal supports screwed to the upright panels.

As far as ventilation goes, 200sq cm slot at the back seems to ring a bell but as JasonB says this sort of information is usually downloadable from the manufacturers web.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2008, 1:31pm

For a full height housing you have two full length sides, the top and bottom are usually have less depth than the other units, say 500mm, same for the other fixed dividers. This is to allow for air flow. The back is in two bits, one from base to "shelf" that the oven sits on, the other from top down to "shelf" above oven, this creaters two cupboards with a good air space behind.

The shelf that the appliance sits on usually has extra support as well as cam & Dowel fixings in the form of WMelamine wrapped battens or metal angles.

Most flat pack housings come with a multitude of holes and the shelves can be set to suit the particular appliance, be it a single, double, singel plus built in microwave or combination oven.

Picture here

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2008, 8:34am

Nip down to somewhere like Ikea and have a look in their kitchen brochures. They usually have a little picture of their units in somewhere. The installation manual for the oven (online?) will have details of any vents required. Frequently built into the oven frame?
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2008, 8:35am by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2008, 5:58pm

To every one who as taken the time and trouble to look into my question and give a reply. Please accept my sincere thanks, your input is most appreciated.  

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

RabbitRabbit
Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2008, 6:47pm

Have a double oven here one is fan assisted. Agree with what was said above about the pace behind to let air flow. Also there is a vent (not fan assisted) in the kick-board to let air rise up and behind the cabinet. The air simply rises up at the back - nothing special other than that.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print