Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 7:19am
Quote: If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hardwood Floor Re-Fit (Read 4296 times)
geoffporter
GDPR opt-out

Hardwood Floor Re-Fit
Sep 25th, 2008, 12:21pm

Can anyone help?

I have recently moved house, the new place has a feature hallway with a solid oak "plank", or oversizes parquet floor.

This floor was fitted as part of a refurb last summer, and the fitter has since left the area.

It seems that the oak was not allowed to acclimatise and that no expansion gap has been left under the skirting boards.  As a result the floor has raised alarmingly along the length of the hall.

I have removed the skirting down one side, there are a couple of doors and a couple of radiators, but not much damage caused.  The flooring has been glued, hence my problem.

As I understand it, I need to remove the first couple of rows or boards and then give the floor a chance to settle before re-cutting and re-fitting with about 1/2 inch gap.

Firstly, has my advice been correct, should I remove these rows, or would I be better getting a pro in to use a router and cut the board down in situ (maybe twice)?

Secondly, if I need to remove the rows, is there any advice that can be given that they have been glued.  Obviously I want to cause the least damage (and effort), I have a limited number of spare boards, but am concerned if there is too much damage about matching the boards on re-fit.

Any advice gratefully received

Geoff

IP Logged

Twobarrows
GDPR opt-out

Re: Hardwood Floor Re-Fit
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2008, 3:43pm

Maybe I have misunderstood the problem, but this sounds like a job for a Fein Multimaster & a brilliant excuse for buying one. I wish this happened to me Smiley

IP Logged

geoffporter
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2008, 3:50pm

Twobarrows,

thanks for that, looks like a great new (to me) tool, do you think that saw bits would do the job aswell, or would I be risking the boards in your opinion?

IP Logged

Twobarrows
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2008, 3:56pm

I've no idea matey, I was just jealous that you now have an excuse to buy a Fein! Someone else here will know though.....'cos they are a clever bunch!

IP Logged

geoffporter
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2008, 4:01pm

Must admit the Fein looks cool, but tight as a ducks a**e I am!

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2008, 5:59pm

remove only the skirting
get youself a cheap biccy cutter for around £40 and use that against the wall finish with a sharp chisel
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=66637

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

geoffporter
Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2008, 6:13pm

Thanks big_all

Seems this one is not looking to be such a challenge as I feared.  Skirting came off really well, if I can pick the right gizmo, who knows, I may get to make this look good!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2008, 9:25am

Quick, somebody remove htis post before Geoff's wife sees it, he really MUST have a Fein Multimaster!

big_all wrote on Sep 25th, 2008, 5:59pm:
remove only the skirting
get youself a cheap biccy cutter for around £40 and use that against the wall finish with a sharp chisel
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=66637

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2008, 8:23pm

You mean there are people out there who HAVEN'T got a Fein Multimaster.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Go and get one NOW.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print