Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 5:51pm
Quote: 640K ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates, 1981.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Painting a front Door (Read 7441 times)
Moffitt
GDPR opt-out

Painting a front Door
Sep 26th, 2008, 3:36pm

Hi Peeps

New here.

Having been eager to paint my front door which I did last weekend, I was really dismayed that it didnt look as glossy as I wanted. I used a good brush and a good tin of paint too.  Door was primed, undercoated and sanded.

Question is how do I get that awesome mirror gloss finish you see on some peoples door? i.e like that black glossy door at No10 downing street

Cheers for your jhelp maties!!!

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Painting a front Door
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2008, 8:11pm

What paint was it?

Not an expert myself on house paint but I suspect you can't do it with the door hung. On model aircraft to get a high gloss you generally need to thin the paint and apply several thin coats sprayed on in a dust free room.  Thinned paint tends to run hence the need to take the door off. A lot of house paint has additives to stop runs and drips and I imagine these don't help the paint to flow really well. For a top finish model builders use two part paints that set hard by chemical reaction rather than the evaporation of solvents. These can be polished with ultra fine wet and dry paper used wet, followed by T-Cut or similar cutting compound.

Edit: Google suggests you should avoid "low odour" and "quick drying" paints if you want a high gloss.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2008, 8:15pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2008, 8:21pm

IP Logged

Moffitt
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2008, 9:53am

Whoa!! thats a huge amount of work thats required.  Thansk for the advise and links everyone.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Decorator

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2008, 10:54am

Trying to keep within the realms of reality, I suggest removing the paint from the door making sure it is all removed from the quirks and mouldings. Rub down with a medium glasspaper. Apply a coat of  shellac knotting to the knots and let dry. Apply another coat of knotting. Rub down, dust off, wipe with a tack rag and apply a coat of oil based primer. When dry, rub down, and apply an undercoat. Go for a dark undercoat (grey) so that when it's dry any imperfections will show out, (the filler will be white.) Face fill with an exterior spackle (Toupret for instance.)  Start rubbing down using carborundum paper using it wet, probably start reducing the grit between coats. wash with clean water.

Face fill as many times as it takes to reach a really smooth surface. The smoother the surface the higher the gloss. Use the wet and dry paper and use a tack rag before painting. Start using the correct colour undercoat for the finish you require. Thin the undercoats so that you think they are probably too thin and lay off very lightly.

Do not thin the gloss paint. Thinning loses the shine slightly. keep it indoors at room temperature before use.
Apply the first coat of gloss and let dry. Rub over with wet and dry paper using water so that it does not scratch. Wash off, wipe with a tack rag and apply final coat of gloss.

Don't use water based paints, fill and rub down between coats, wipe with a tack rag between coats. Thin the undercoat but do not thin the gloss.
You might want to consider removing the door and laying it on a couple of trestles.
Having said that when glossing it will not dry hard enough for you to replace in the evening.

Might sound silly, but don't smoke while you are painting the door. I have seen many people cough and the ash fly off straight on to the newly painted door.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Decorator

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2008, 10:56am

I think No 10 has two doors. One on and one getting the treatment. They just then swop them over.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2008, 3:40pm

Would they bother to fix all the dents? Half bricks can make a right mess you know. They probably just fit a whole new door. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print