Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 1:41am
Quote: Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up - Jesse Jackson

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to soundproof my wall (Read 5933 times)
dj-paul-c
GDPR opt-out

how to soundproof my wall
Sep 26th, 2008, 11:42pm

the wall in my semi-detatched house seems fairly thin and me and the missus can hear the neighbours when theve got visitors in ect,we cant hear what there saying but hear them laughing and muffled voices (my house is a late 1950`s build)

whats the most effective way of sound proofing the dividing wall between our two houses ??
i dont want to take a massive amount of space out my rooms with a big partition but i need the sound proofing to work as my missus is fed up with the neighbours

i know you can get sound block plaster board (the blue papered stuff) and im sure you can get a sound blanket ? im not sure what this is called but i think i seen one sone where like a big roll of dense glass wool with chicken wire holding it together,

if anyone can give me any help with this id be much appreciated and if you can give me the names of any special bits i need that would be ace

thanks in advance

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: how to soundproof my wall
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2008, 10:29pm

From what I've read (no practical experience myself) the best way is to build a partition wall away from the existing wall so that there is no physical contact between the two, then add two layers of acoustic plasterboard. If you just batten out the existing wall you get sound transmission through the battens.  You would loose about 6 " inches overall.

If you can't afford the space and it's just talking/TV that's the problem perhaps take a look at systems like this..

http://www.soundservice.co.uk/wall_sound_proofing_Help.htm
or
http://www.domesticsoundproofing.co.uk/soundproofing/acoustic_wall_panels.htm

..but as they point out this won't solve problems with loud music or bass sounds.

It's possible for sound to travel through the floor joists or holes in the wall under the floor so floors may need to be lifted and sound insulation added before the wall is done.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008, 10:31pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

dj-paul-c
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2008, 9:12pm

ive looked into this a bit more now,
im not wanting to spend a fortune but what about

10 mm "air gap" then 100mm thickness of rockwool insulation slabs then a double sheet of soundblock plaster board
how effective do yous think that would be as a sound barrier ?

im thinking of using cls wooden battons as the supporting frame

any thoughts or help much appreciated

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hannay
Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2008, 10:13pm

Hello

Have a look at this companys products they may save you a bit of space.  www.acaraconcepts.com.

Hannay

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2008, 12:04pm

Looks interesting.  

Before you line the wall check out what it's like under the floor. Some houses have big holes in the walls around joists where noise can get through. Might be worth sealing those before you do the wall.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print