Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 8:55pm
Quote: Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roof Tiles (Read 8712 times)
gary_2008
GDPR opt-out

Roof Tiles
Nov 18th, 2008, 9:23am

Hi wondering if any one can help me,i have tiles above my porch they are the smaller tiles.Some are covered with moss and most of them the  red paint is peeling off.Can anyone tell me what is the best may to clean the tiles to remove the moss and paint,and also the best type of red paint to use to re paint them and also is there a primer coat you can put on before painting the tiles that will protect them from the weather.
Many Thanks in advance...

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2008, 2:47pm by gary_2008 »  

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: Roof Tiles
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2008, 10:17am

I am not a roofer but I have never seen roof tiles painted before? Can you post a picture?

IP Logged

gary_2008
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2008, 2:41pm

Please find photo now attached...

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2008, 2:59pm

Ahh, I see the problem! It looks like the tiles were painted to make them look pretty sometime ago, not something I would do...
If it was my roof I would be inclined to remove the tiles and replace them with new ones because I think it will be quicker and cheaper than getting a trades person in to strip and repaint the tiles (time is money). I also don't think that painting them again will be a long term solution because they will start peeling again.
If you are going to DIY it then it does not really matter how long it takes so all I can suggest is to get the old scraper out and remove all the loose bits of paint, scrub off any dirt/moss/bird poo and then paint them again. As far as primers go, there are loads on the market, you may even find a specific primer in a place like B&Q but I would guess that the paint used for the roof tiles does not require a primer.

Hopefully one of the decorating gurus will be along shortly...

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2008, 5:19pm

I'm wondering if a previous owner had spilt a whole tin of paint when up a ladder painting the windows? Anyway my guess is the red paint was used to cover up a previous mistake like that.  

I agree with Zambezi I would investigate replacing the tiles. I think you would break a lot if you tried to get the paint off.  

Edit: Looks like the lead flashing was painted as well.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2008, 5:22pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2008, 8:44pm

Yip it is a right bodge!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

gary_2008
Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2008, 4:39pm

Hi thanks to all that have gave me advice on the roof tiles..I would like to replace the tiles myself if possible can anyone give advice on equipment needed i.e type of waterproof underlay and type of tiles to use and will the present tiles be nailed onto wooden batons or straight onto wood .Also would the lead flashing need replaced or can this be lifted to renew tiles underneath..
Many Thanks again

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2008, 5:25pm

my thought

block the down pipe with a tennis ball or rag divert the down pipe into a bucket iff possible assuming its a terraced house block the gutter at each side off the tiles

paint on nitromors water based onto the lead and tiles concentrating more on  the lead and seeing how gravity spreads it

once fully coated and left to work in accordance to instructions see how the paint comes off and act accordingly

i suspect the tiles may be painted together by cappilery action preventing easy removal and possibly aiding water protection

so slap it on and see Roll Eyes

oooo and remove the car or any other  painted item from the area[4m away if possible]
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2008, 5:32pm by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2008, 10:49pm

Quote:
Hi thanks to all that have gave me advice on the roof tiles..I would like to replace the tiles myself if possible can anyone give advice on equipment needed i.e type of waterproof underlay and type of tiles to use and will the present tiles be nailed onto wooden batons or straight onto wood .Also would the lead flashing need replaced or can this be lifted to renew tiles underneath..
Many Thanks again

A hammer, underlay, tiles (look like Rosemarys but not too sure), rock-lats (treated batons) and roofing nails. All the stuff and how to use it can be found at your local roofing supplier. As for the lead flashing, there is a good chance you can fold it back enough to get the old tiles out and the new tiles in. It will still be covered in red paint though so you will need to either strip the old paint off (see the previous post) or repaint the flashing (not recommended).

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:42am

In case not obvious - try stripping the paint off the lead before replacing the tiles.

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2008, 8:30pm

The tile bonding and tile gauge is all wrong, so is the flashing cover. The whole lot needs replacing, including the flashing.  I assume this is the front of the house?  Not a good 'kerb appeal' look for whenever you intend to sell.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear......... Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2008, 10:21pm

Well spotted JerryD, I did not notice that the 4 tiles under the flashing are way lower than the one showing on the very right. Something has come adrift somewhere...

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print