Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 10:34am
Quote: A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oak butches block worktop. (Read 6532 times)
Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Oak butches block worktop.
Nov 20th, 2008, 8:36pm

Howdy,
I have been asked to sand some scratches and burn marks out of an oak butchers block type worktop. It is in a right state, I think the last time it was oiled was when it was fitted, which could have been over 10 years ago!
It is in a rental property and the tenants are not known for the DIY/maintenance skills, which is a problem if you have a worktop that needs oiling and a bit of TLC.

Option 1 - sand all the crud and burn marks off, oil and leave the leftover tin of oil with the tenants who will never put it on ...
Option 2 - sand all the crud and burn marks off, varnish (hopefully Wolf does not hear me mentioning varnish!) or some other product that will be oak worktop and tenant friendly.
Option 3 - replace the worktops with something more suitable for rental accommodation, is not an option because it was too expensive.

Any suggestions?

IP Logged

sparxxxx

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Oak butches block worktop.
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2008, 9:47pm

I thought the only way to clean butchers block is by scrubbing with salt.
Any other method seems totally wrong especially if it involves oils or varnish.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2008, 10:05pm

It is not really a butchers block, it is laminated pieces of oak to form a worktop. It is used as a normal kitchen worktop, not for chopping raw meat etc. Something like this...
http://www.oakworktops.com/Pages.asp?Page=45

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2008, 7:22am

I've had the same problem where I've fitted worktops and people don't take the trouble to look after them.

You could use Rustin's plastic coating, its a two pack, very hard finish and I've seen it recommended for this but never used it myself.

What I do is mix finishing oil with satin polyurethane varnish 50-50. For the first couple of coats I mix this mixture with 30-50% turpentine. This really thins it down and it soaks right into the timber. I apply it like an oil so that it doesn't build up a thick varnish like crust and it seems to be pretty durable, certainly better than a straight oil anyway.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2008, 8:55am

sparxxxx wrote on Nov 20th, 2008, 9:47pm:
I thought the only way to clean butchers block is by scrubbing with salt.
Any other method seems totally wrong especially if it involves oils or varnish.

I worked in a buthchers for a few years whilst I was at university. Blocks were scraped with a block scraper, which was simply a blade with a handle, no fancy edges like a cabinet scraper; then scubbed with a block scrubber which was like an oversized nail brush with bristles of flat blades of metal about 4mm wide. We used all sorts of things to aid cleaning (plenty of bleach!), but never salt.
Blocks didn't stay flat for long because so much material was removed in cleaning, eventually they would be turned over.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2008, 9:02am

Ta woodsmith, I think I will give it a go. I will also see if I can find the Rustins plastic stuff (it sounds like a quick fix Wink)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2008, 9:08am

I don't think I wouldn't use a varnish or similar. I think that would make future damage show up even more (eg if water gets into scratches). Would a varnish stick anyway if it's had various unknown oils and grease soaked into it. I think I'd go for option 1 and advise owner it will need regular maintenance.  Might be possible to get a glass top for it?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2008, 4:23pm

I ordered some of the Rustins Plastic Coating stuff, not cheap! Now all I need is access to the worktops so I can start working on them. I will let you know how I get on, it probably won't dry in my garage which is currently 4 degrees C!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print