Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 16th, 2024, 7:29pm
Quote: To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, to steal from many is research.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
laptop HELP! (Read 21128 times)
wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 4
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

laptop HELP!
Jan 8th, 2009, 7:51pm

not sure anyone will be able to help but i thought i may aswel give it a go.

My laptop wont start, it bings up a scren that starts 'we apolgive for the inoneince winows did not strt sucessfully' blah blah blah. the all of the options ive tried and still no joy, most i get from the ' start windows normally' and last known configuration' options then it loads windows for about 5 seconds then the screen turns blue it restars and im back to the begining.

Any help beofre i through it out the window?

cheers

All advice is at least two years out of date.
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Re: laptop HELP!
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2009, 11:48pm

Boot it up in safe mode is a good place to start

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2009, 7:42am

Can you put the windows instalation cd in and boot up from that Undecided

You may have a corrupted file. I think if you can manage to run disk defragmenter it automatically looks for/corrects damaged files.

IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2009, 5:39pm

tried safe mode not much happened

i have the recovery CD but i was relucant to format it  as i havnt bcked up the business documents for a couple of weeks! silly git

its having a diagnosis done on it now to determine the problem only costing £25, didnt think that was too terrible.  Hope its nothing serious, although the technician did say that my model of laptop has a big problem with over heating when used on your LAP!!!!!!

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2009, 7:32pm

If it's totally knackered...

It's sometimes possible to remove the hard drive and fit it into a USB external hard drive enclosure. Plug that into the new laptop and the old drive will appear as a new drive letter. Browse it to recover the files.

You can then put it back into the laptop and try to repair it by reinstalling or "repair installing" windows.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2009, 7:34pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2009, 10:51pm

and if that does not work then you could try this with it...
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YocnQ0NMTUA&feature=related

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #6 - Jan 10th, 2009, 8:10pm

the diagnosis was corrupted fire.

the disk drive has always made a funny noise, the technician said it damaged his diagnosis disk, therefore it could just format it using the product recovery disk as it may have damaged that aswel then i would be screwed.  He is now installing windows and office, and fitting a new disk drive for £125.

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2009, 10:45am

Had the same problem with mine. (Yours wasn't a Toshiba was it?)

You got off lightly. Would have cost £150 for my local computer shop to try a replacement hard drive and there was no guarantee that would have worked - and that was just the cost of the hard drive - because if the hard drive won't boot the OS can't work on anything you put in to diagnose the problem(s). Catch 22.

I have total faith in my shop, they're sound people, they didn't charge me for the hour or so they'd tried recovering things.

Upshot? As I could buy a second hand refurbished laptop for £157 with six months warranty, preloaded with XP Professional, from Steve's place, I left my machine with them to do with as they liked and sell on and bought myself an Asus Eee PC notebook from Staples for £147 new, which allows me to take it with me EVERYWHERE (it fits into my work jacket pocket or the glove compartment of the Transit). I save everything of note onto a 2 gig memory stick, including downloaded pdf files off my local authority planning web site (full docs of planning apps) which enables me to discuss jobs with the customer anywhere. Fate, such as it is, actually did me a favour this time.

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2009, 11:14am

I should have said that I load everything of note OFF MY PC onto the memory stick, of which I have three, one for costing worksheets and invoices etc, one for photographs, one for documents and drawings (saved off my CAD software as jpg files). The Linux software runs programs that are compatible with Windows stuff. And if you're in an open WiFi network area (or can log onto the customer's wireless network, you need their WEP key) you can get onto the internet as well.

The Asus can be loaded with Windows XP, but I'll keep the Linux system because it runs faster - and anyway, that compatibility with Windows stuff makes it unnecessary.

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2009, 6:11pm

Memory sticks can fail, especially cheap ones.  They also get lost.  I hope you keep a compy of the data on the memory stick an your PC at home too.

I would be more inclined to correctly network and setup shared files between your PC and your laptop, and then you could transfer files directly from your PC to your laptop.  You could even look at synconisation software which ensures that your "My Documents" folder (and other folders you wish) remain the same when you return your laptop "to base".

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2009, 7:59pm

120 gig portable hard drive backs up all important files once a week (Sunday morning chore after walking the dog).

Only ever use sticks for carrying info around, transferring stuff from home PC to workshop PC and, as I said, to the notebook.

You can't carry a laptop around in your pocket.

At £147 a throw, that Asus was the best buy I've had in a long while. Just another tool in the van.

IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2009, 8:20pm

to answer your question yes it is a toshiba satellite, strangely enough

i thought toshiba was meant to be a hardy laptop

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2009, 2:38pm

We both know different now! Mine was the same model.

I won't go within a mile of another Toshiba. Like you I bought mine because I thought it was a good make, it certainly had good reviews.

IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #13 - Jan 16th, 2009, 3:02pm

mine did seem to go out of date very quickly, although i feel this is always true

to be fair this is the second time mine has had to be formatted and the first time was completely my fault and its approaching three years old i think, ive spoken to other people whos laptop has gone up the creek after a year and a half and PC world wouldnt touch it even with their service contract thing

it did survive a fall that was bad enough to smash out the clip that keeps the hard drive in place, and dislodge the hard drive.

so that said i cant moan too much about it i just wish it wudnt happen at a time when cash flow is so crap because of customers not paying and im trying to save to go on holiday!

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #14 - Jan 16th, 2009, 4:28pm

I am still using my HP Pavillion laptop which is now 5 years old, and still running on the as delivered install.

I must admit it is currently running very slowly, and I have been thinking about doing a re-install, but am also weighing up a replacement as the spec is very dated!  It is only a 900Mhz or so processor!  God knows what the RAM is, can't recall.

I would most definitely go for an HP again.

Dell are also high on the list, and oddly the budget Acer gets very good reviews and I rarely hear people complaining of breakdowns.

It's a little like LG - If your going to buy a large plasma TV, do you want an LG logo standing proud in your living room?  I have found the LG kit to be the easiest to use, with the clearest of menus and remote controls.  The quality is also excellent.  It is still a budget manufacturer, but in my opinion it out does some of the leading brands.
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2009, 4:29pm by Lectrician »  

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2009, 12:00am

Lec, I have the Hp Pavilion as well and lost the screen, anyway to cut a long story short, I got a Dell 21" monitor from Pcworld plug it in and away we go  Grin

Also years ago I got an Integral (brand name) external hard drive case, and stuck a 500G hard drive innit, took everything off the computer on to the remote, so all that's left is the operating system, the speed increased at least double.

What I do now is open the program in the remote and work from that.

Another trick which seems to works well is I laid 12" floor tiles on the desk and it acts as a heat sink, it runs much cooler now.

IP Logged

Cobra
Reply #16 - Apr 10th, 2009, 4:49pm

I have just bought an LG 50" TV from [Link Removed] The picture quality is fantastic. I am really happy with the TV
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2009, 8:29pm by Lectrician »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print