Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 16th, 2024, 5:37am
Quote: If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
laptop HELP! (Read 21109 times)
Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: laptop HELP!
Reply #17 - Apr 10th, 2009, 5:00pm

Quote:
I have just bought an LG 50" TV from [Link removed] The picture quality is fantastic. I am really happy with the TV

What has that got to do with the price of eggs?
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2009, 8:29pm by Lectrician »  

IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Reply #18 - Apr 10th, 2009, 5:03pm

spam?????????????

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #19 - Apr 10th, 2009, 5:43pm

scotspark wrote on Apr 10th, 2009, 5:03pm:
spam?????????????

That would be my guess  Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #20 - Apr 10th, 2009, 6:22pm

Mine too, so he can spam off  Grin

IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 4

Reply #21 - Apr 12th, 2009, 12:06pm

a bit off subject now, but i thought i would give u a up date.

the laptop corrupted again after a couple of months. decided i could not put up with it anymore, went for the most bullet proof one as possible and everyone suggested apple mac book.  expensive to buy, but all the software cost £55 from agros and i was off and running again.  still getting used to it at the moment but on first impression it is very slick.

All advice is at least two years out of date.
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #22 - Apr 13th, 2009, 10:28am

As a postscript to earlier post...

I've just bought a mobile internet USB stick at £35 which plugs into the Asus Eee PC and gives internet access anywhere. PAYG it costs £2 a day (you buy your credit and it only costs according to use, so theoretically that credit can last forever) and is brilliant. I've gone with T-mobile and found their coverage excellent, even when I can't get a signal on my mobile with Vodafone. Well impressed.

IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #23 - Apr 15th, 2009, 1:03pm

Joiner wrote on Apr 13th, 2009, 10:28am:
As a postscript to earlier post...

....... PAYG it costs £2 a day .........

It wants to be impressive for £60 a month!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #24 - Apr 15th, 2009, 1:03pm

scotspark wrote on Apr 10th, 2009, 5:03pm:
spam?????????????

spam & Eggs apparently

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #25 - May 24th, 2009, 11:21pm

Message for Joiner, I sent you a PM about your EEE PC.
Does it get warm/hot when in use? Is yours the one with the solid state drive or a standard hard drive? Which model?
I am getting a EEE PC 901 in a few days to replace my old nut-roasting laptop, hoping the new one will not be as effecting at family planning  Shocked

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #26 - May 25th, 2009, 7:31am

Have just PM'd you Z.

Twobarrows, the point of going PAYG at £2 a day was because of the infrequent use of the notebook online. Paying a monthly contract price for the USB mobile internet access made no sense just to get internet access whilst away from home or the workshop. And as stated elsewhere on this forum I've found that I can actually access the internet via the WiFi using other people's networks, which is a bonus!

I actually did a lot of asking around. 3-Mobile had a deal (don't know whether it's still current) for unlimited web access for £98 a YEAR. Trouble is, their coverage is crap unless you're in a conurbation, whereas T-mobile seems to have better coverage (because of their technology) than my Vodafone cellphone.

When you go for any mobile deal (or any tool deal, come to that) you always research whether what's available closely meets your needs. Like anything else, only a fool (or rich people) bases their decision on price alone.

IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #27 - May 25th, 2009, 10:55am

Point taken, it just seemed extremely expensive, but if you are that much of an infrequent user then I understand.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #28 - Jul 23rd, 2009, 1:46pm

Lectrician wrote on Jan 16th, 2009, 4:28pm:
I am still using my HP Pavillion laptop which is now 5 years old, and still running on the as delivered install.

I must admit it is currently running very slowly, and I have been thinking about doing a re-install, but am also weighing up a replacement as the spec is very dated!  It is only a 900Mhz or so processor!  ......

[smug mode] I too have an elderly computer. It also is 5 years old. It also runs at 867MHz but everytime an upgrade of the OS comes out, it runs faster. S'true - not a windup. It really does.  That's because it's a Mac [/exit smug mode]

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #29 - Jul 23rd, 2009, 5:34pm

I had a similar smug git just the other day.

I went to quote to move some phone points around, as the home office was being done away with due to retirement, and the additional business lines where being dropped and wanted to be made live from the home line.

While there, the customer mentioned that the ADSL was not reliable and the line was very noisey.

I took a quick look and noticed that no microfilters where in use at all - even the routers lead had been changed for one with a BT style plug in it which I guess was robbed from an old phone.

I said I would sort that there and then, and fitted a couple filters.  I said to wait a few minutes for the ADSL to sync, and then try the internet.

The twit said "I dont need to wait, I have a MAC and the internet is instant, not like sluggish PC's".

I tried to explain that it was the router that needed time to sync to the line, and it didn't matter which type of computer was being used.

He wouldn't have it, and told me to "watch".  I did, and he went very red faced when nothing would work for him.

I have used macs before, and can say they are very good for graphics and do appear stable.

However, as 99% of people use PC's, with an even higher percentage of businesses, I find it is best to consentrate on them.  I do a large amount of data cabling and networking, and in all the time I have done this it has always been for PC's.  The only time I see macs is when graphics are of importance (for speed and not a lot else).  This is mainly is newspaper and magazine offices etc.

For a bit of web surfing, any old machine will do!
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2009, 5:34pm by Lectrician »  

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Reply #30 - Jul 23rd, 2009, 5:55pm

wozzy wrote on Apr 12th, 2009, 12:06pm:
a bit off subject now, but i thought i would give u a up date.

the laptop corrupted again after a couple of months. decided i could not put up with it anymore, went for the most bullet proof one as possible and everyone suggested apple mac book.  expensive to buy, but all the software cost £55 from agros and i was off and running again.  still getting used to it at the moment but on first impression it is very slick.

Well done. mate, you won't regret it. If I can be of any help Mac wise then feel free.

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Reply #31 - Jul 24th, 2009, 7:22am

Lectrician wrote on Jul 23rd, 2009, 5:34pm:
However, as 99% of people use PC's, with an even higher percentage of businesses, I find it is best to consentrate on them.  I do a large amount of data cabling and networking, and in all the time I have done this it has always been for PC's.  The only time I see macs is when graphics are of importance (for speed and not a lot else).  This is mainly is newspaper and magazine offices etc.

Don't agree with you 100% there as the number of businesses switching to Macs is increasing as they have realised the Total Cost of Ownership of running virus-ridden PCs of indeterminate build quality and reliability. They'd rather focus their staff on running the business rather than worrying whether the reason their PC is running slow is because they've caught a virus!

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #32 - Jul 24th, 2009, 4:01pm

londonman wrote on Jul 24th, 2009, 7:22am:
Lectrician wrote on Jul 23rd, 2009, 5:34pm:

Don't agree with you 100% there as the number of businesses switching to Macs is increasing as they have realised the Total Cost of Ownership of running virus-ridden PCs of indeterminate build quality and reliability. They'd rather focus their staff on running the business rather than worrying whether the reason their PC is running slow is because they've caught a virus!

I can't see all businesses swapping to macs.  All the IT guys are trained up on windows with windows server 2003 and 2007, they wouldn't be able to trade their skills across easily.  The infrastructure change for organisations would also just not be financially viable - a site with 40 PC's, a domain server, email server, resources server etc.

Look at any network printer of any manufacturer - It is always geared up ready to network for a PC, and to network it for an apple always takes extra steps because the printer manufacturers know where the products are more likely to be used.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Reply #33 - Jul 24th, 2009, 4:12pm

I agree.  Not all but some are  Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print