Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 10:57am
Quote: You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing Wallpaper Paste Residue (Read 11125 times)
AndrewR
GDPR opt-out

Removing Wallpaper Paste Residue
Feb 5th, 2009, 9:08am

I've recently moved into a house where all the ceilings were papered in anaglypta-type wallpaper. It comes off easily but leaves a glue/paste (not sure exactly what has been used to stick it on) residue on the plaster in the same pattern as the old paper.
We want to paint the ceilings directly onto the plaster.
In one room we painted straight over the glue residue and it is flaking all over so it needs re-decorating. In another room we laboriously stripped the glue off using hot soapy water and a scouring pad plus paper scraper. It was a very messy job.
I'm now ready to attempt the next ceiling and am considering just skim plastering over the glue. A friend advised me to get a steam paper stripper to remove the glue but I have doubts that this will work since the wetting og the old paste is easy, it is the scraping off of it that is the problem as it sticks in globules to anything that touches it including metal scraper and scouring pad.
This problem must be a common one, has anyone any advice on how to prepare a ceiling for direct emulsion painting when old paste residue is left on it?
Thank you.

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: Removing Wallpaper Paste Residue
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2009, 10:05pm

I am not a pro decorator but I normally steam the surface and scrape off the glue. It is messy but gets it off. It would be quicker to plaster it if you are a good plasterer, although the wet plaster could soften the glue and create more problems. Where is Hammy when you need him?

IP Logged

AndrewR
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2009, 11:12am

Thank you,
I'm not an expert plasterer and have only ever done walls, but I'm thinking that it would be easier to skim over this rather than go through scraping off using soapy water and a hand scraper.
When you say that you have done this using a steamer, didn't the glue just clog up on the end of the scraper and spread across the ceiling rather than drop off. This is what happened when I did it before?
I'm grateful for any further advice

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2009, 11:33am

Yes it is messy and the glue gets everywhere. I use a very thin scraper, less than 1mm thick (slightly flexible) which I press firmly against the surface to try and get "under" the glue as I scrape. One scrape, wipe scrapper, scrape, wipe scraper........ six hours later it is done  Grin

IP Logged

AndrewR
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2009, 1:19pm

Thank you,
I might give this a try. I'll have a look for a thin scraper. Smiley

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2009, 8:10am

Plastering a ceiling is far more difficult than plastering a wall, plus the glue may well stop the plaster sticking. I too think scraping it off is your only option. Careful with the steamer though or you will bring the plaster down.

If you are going to use a matt paint it would be wise to prime the ceiling after you get the goo off, otherwise the paint may well craze.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2009, 8:12am by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2009, 12:40pm

It's going to be a right horrible job and messy, but it has to be done. You can't plaster over the old paste because the plaster will not be adhering to the ceiling properly and could also cause a reaction.

Bucket of very hot water, big brush and wet about a metre at at time.
Let the old paste and size soften up and scrape with a 3" stripping knife. You'll have to keep wiping the knife and the slop that comes off will make a mess. When you have it all off wash the ceiling with clean water and wipe it dry.

Obviously haven't seen it but think it would benefit from lining paper before painting, not forgetting to size the ceiling first.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

AndrewR
Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2009, 9:03am

Thank you,
After the earlier advice I decided not to skim over the old paste. We chose the elbow grease option using soapy water and scouring pads. I hadn't thought about a brush though and will try this when we get on to the next ceiling that needs doing.
Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2009, 7:15pm

Maybe a broom would help?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print