Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 5:45am
Quote: Why don't they just make mouse-flavored cat food?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need recommendation for wireless alarm system pls (Read 5134 times)
Twobarrows
GDPR opt-out

Need recommendation for wireless alarm system pls
Feb 23rd, 2009, 5:23pm

We have just moved house and the 'new' house has a manky old Modern Alarms series 1000 alarm system, which we would like to replace  (no dialler, no seperate operator panel...). It looks like wireless alarms have come a long way in the last few years and are now the system of choice (besides, running cables in this place is a right royal pain in the harris, chipboard flooring!). Can anyone who is familiar with alarm system recommend a brand / model please. We are currently waiting for a quote from WOT security who would use a Honeywell system. My only dealing with a wireless alarm was a poxy old Response system (4 bit security code !!!). Of course I would instal it myself.
Cheers..........

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Need recommendation for wireless alarm system pls
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2009, 8:12am

We opted for a Powermax+ from Visonic.  I believe its the same system BT sell with their name on it (if you want monitoring). I'm not sure if BT will take over monitoring of a DIY installed visonic system though. They may want it all professionally installed.

We're using five of their "Quad" series wireless PIR sensors because I heard they were very imune to false alarms. Seem to work well. No problems over two years and still on first set of batteries in the PIRs. They also have a cheaper range of PIR sensors but not tried those.

Also have some wireless key fobs so no need for keypad in the hall. Just arm and dissarm like you do your car.  

Apart from the bell box that's all you need to get a basic system working.

Our phone line is buried in the ground so we use that for comms. Whenever the system status changes it calls me up on the mobile and talks to me. The messages it sends (or not) are configurable. You can also get a GSM modem which allows it to send you SMS messages instead of voice calls. We haven't bothered with one of these. Our phone line is burried so can't easily be cut.

Visonic don't really intend it to be DIY installed but it comes with an installation manual. Pretty complicated but mainly due to all the features - 99% of which we aren't using. For example it's possible to have some sensors enabled at night with others disabled so you can walk around without setting it off.  

In the UK you have a choice of frequency bands. 434MHz and 868Mhz. Allways check when buying add-ons that they are the right band as some sellers don't specify the band on their web sites. I opted for the 868Mhz band because I think a lot of garage door openers and the like use 434MHz (or is that 433mHz). However 434mHz kit seems to be more readilly available and I'v not heard of any problems with garage door openers.

Home page
http://www.visonic.com/VisonicHomePage.nsf/homepage?Openform

Rather dated review..
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Security/Visonic-Powermax.html

Several suppliers in the UK of kits and add-ons. See also ebay.

Edit: I'm not familiar with other makes as I'm not trade. Just a happy user of this one.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2009, 8:15am by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Re:Now need recommendation for wired alarm system pls
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2011, 3:55pm

We've moved again (again) to sunny Church Crookham, and the new house has the wiring left in from a previous alarm, so I'd like to instal another. We want an alarm with a dialler so it will alert either myself, wife or father in law when activated; must be able to activate the downstairs but leave the upstairs clear to move around.
Any recommendations please & a roughguide to cost (six bed, 3 reception & garage). Cheers...........

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2011, 5:03pm

I would go for a Texecom Veritas Excel, a tad more than the R8 or PLUS, but worth it.  Fit this along with a Texecom speech/text dialler.  (also sends SMS texts).

Look at http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/index.php - They do all the kit cheaper than my local wholesaler does, with the exception of the cable.

You should get yourself a panel (which includes the keypad), battery, bellbox (and cover, they are sold seperately for the Texecom ones!), an internal speaker, some PIR's and magnetic contacts for the door you intend to use as means of entry/exit (preferably).

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #4 - May 21st, 2011, 5:47pm

Many thanks, I shall price it & submit to the war office for approval.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print