Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 1:08pm
Quote: Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying - Arthur C. Clarke

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Record PT260X/Metabo HC260C (Read 9758 times)
Sandy

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Record PT260X/Metabo HC260C
Apr 4th, 2009, 3:56pm

Hi all,

Has any one else got one of these machines? As far as I am aware they are almost identical (other than the livery) hence, I've included them both.

If so, anyone had any problems fettling the fence?

I bought one the other day and the whole fence assembly arrived almost complete. The only thing required, is to put it in place on top of the machine and away you go. It attaches to the top with a large swivel nut which can be tightened to hold the fence in the desired place. Once this has been done, a 2nd bolt allows the fence to be tilted from 90 to approx 40degree (and everywhere else between). I've tried using the stops on the back to pre-set the fence to 90 & 45 degrees, taken them out and tried just using a square, but when tightening the bolt back up, it keeps moving out of true and it's getting a pain in the ass.

Anyone any clues?
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2009, 3:56pm by Sandy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Re: Record PT260X/Metabo HC260C
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2009, 10:55am

Sandy..can't really help but you might like to try asking the question either on www.ukworkshop.co.uk  or http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2009, 12:45pm

Put another washer under the tightening nut.

IP Logged

Sandy

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2009, 10:24pm

Thanks Londonman, might try that one.

Joiner, there are already 2 washers on the tightening nut, one of them being hardened plastic. Replacing the plastic washer for another steel one wouldn't solve the problem I doubt.

Me thinks a call to the helpful guys at Yandles might be in order!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Sandy

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2009, 2:13pm

Tried replacing both washers on the tightening bolt for steel ones and then removed the depth stop bolts. Surprised myself, seems to have done the trick, although now I have to manually set the fence up each time I need to alter it, but I guess that's just good practice anyway isn't it, rather than relying on the depth stops.

Good shout Joiner, thanks for that tip.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2009, 1:04am

right Sandy, this bolt you are on about, any chance of a piccy...
and why the talk of washers.. all setting bolts i know of have 2 nuts which are locked together to set a "stop" up!!  washers in my book will only space things or allow them to move (unless starlock washers are installed!!)

all my machines once the desired stop is found, the first nut is screwed down to the insert, then held while the second nut is tightened against the first... neither will then move, as it tries to unwnd the first!!

but can we have a piccy!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2009, 1:11am

just spoke (via e-mail to a friend who had this model) and he is going to e-mail an instruction leaflet copy tomorrow, so may be able to give you a better reply then!!

and by the way, it is an almost exact replica of the original small KITY planer thicknesser!!!
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2009, 1:13am by TIMBA-WOLF »  

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Sandy

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2009, 6:45pm

Hi Flow,

Images attached.

The first pic shows what was supplied straight from the box and shows a yellow plastic washer between the hinged swivel bolt (that locks the fence in place) and the cast bracket. This as what wouldn't hold square when tightening up the fence.

The second pic is how I've got it now, with 2 steel washers, which holds the fence square whilst tightening up the bolt.

Yep, you're right about the depth setting bolts, just a simple bolt with an extra nut. Set the nut at the desired depth, then tighten the nut up against the plate to lock in place. They can be seen attached to semi-circular bracket mounting the fence. For some reason, when I set the lower one to give 90degs and the upper one to 45degs, they went out of true when tightening the swivel bolt (mentioned above) so I took them out for now. It seemed the whole assembly was pivoting on the depth bolt and being pulled out of position when doing up the swivel bolt.

Also what you can't see in the pic, is what looks like a little crack in the casting where that lower depth stop bolt goes. I'd annotate the pic with an arrow or 2 but, don't know how to do that, sorry.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2009, 6:55pm by Sandy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2009, 11:41pm

right firstly i can see the crack in the plate, if you left click on the piccy it should magically enlargen itself...

but, this needs to be replaced, and personnally i would remove the std washers from the tightening handle, and replace with a lock washer at least...

and when replaced i would place lock washers behind the two locking set bolts, nuts (if that made sense) as a machine such as this, when in use vibrates and soon undoes nuts/bolts unless locked properly!

from the piccys you've supplied they have really skimped on fittings,as the e-mailed doc i got sent shows proper Bristol levers!! and a nice cast plate, none of this swivel bolts or pig ally castings...

out of interest roughly where are you with in the country!!??

just had another thought, have you removed the mounting plate from the fence and checkd that the swivel bolt, where it connects inside the mounting plate is correctly fitted and not off at some strange angle... as if it came pre-built this could also affect the mounting plate when snugged tight by the swivel bolt/handle...
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2009, 11:43pm by TIMBA-WOLF »  

IP Logged

Sandy

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2009, 9:40pm

The tightening handle has 2 washers (can just be seen in pic 2) and the smaller one is a lock washer.

I've checked on Yandles website (where I bought the machine) and D&M tools where I was considering buying it and their images don't show the rear of the machine where the handles are. However, the Record website has a picture that shows the swivel bolts I have. Having just checked my manual, that also shows Bristol Levers.

I guess Bristol Levers are something of an "expendable luxury/pinched pennies". This model's been around for while I think, how long has your friend had his?

Wakefield. Why do you ask?

Funny you mention removing the mounting plate. Last night when I took the pics and removed the fence to change the washers over, I noticed that semi-circular block that mates into the mounting plate has a groove on the inside. Turning the bolt and block round 180deg (thereby mis aligning the groove) causes the fence to rock slightly. I only found out by accident when I knocked the fence and the bolt dropped out of place.
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2009, 9:44pm by Sandy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print