Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 26th, 2024, 10:04am
Quote: Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid made with real lemons?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Interior Door (Read 2979 times)
isabella
GDPR opt-out

Interior Door
Feb 5th, 2010, 2:48pm

My Husband has replaced our basement door.  Previously we had a lunan door.  We replaced the door with an inexpensive 6 panel door.  The problem is this.  When I give the door a little shove to close, it only moves a couple of inches.  I have to physically close the door to secure it.  My husband says this door is not as heavy as the previous door and that is the problem.
Is there anyway to fix this?  

Thanks
Isabella

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7
For This Post: 0

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Re: Interior Door
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2010, 4:19pm

If it's not actually rubbing against the frame as it closes, then it could be that the hinges haven't been fitted square, although I can't imagine how anyone could manage to get them so far out that it would cause the effect you describe.

It certainly won't have anything to do with the weight of the door. The last door job I did was to change four solid, plain upstairs doors, fitting the hollow ones with the press-moulded panels (not my choice). They closed if you breathed on them.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2010, 4:54pm

with the door shut take a strait edge between the hinges if you touch the both hinges similtanaously at each side and central do the hinges touch the batton fully ih all 3 positions!!

if you loosen all the screws 1/2 turn does that cure the problem

my thoughts are the hinges are out and only at rest at the point they where fitted[door at right angles]!!

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2010, 12:34pm

If you recess hinges too deeply that can sometimes cause the effect described. Try some card spacers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print