Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 16th, 2024, 6:43am
Quote: Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying - Arthur C. Clarke

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power to greenhouse cu off garage cu (Read 2536 times)
Oldfred
GDPR opt-out

Power to greenhouse cu off garage cu
Feb 28th, 2014, 3:40pm

I would like to have an electrical supply to my greenhouse next to the garage. The garage has an existing 8-way cu (about four years old) with a 30 mA rcd and two mcbs for the garage power and light. The garage cu is connected to an mcb in the house cu protected by a 100 mA rcd.

I am considering a small ip65 cu in the greenhouse with a 30 mA rcd and two mcbs. My problem is in the connection from the garage cu to the greenhouse cu. I want the greenhouse to be independent of the garage cu’s rcd, as I don’t want the greenhouse to trip the garage supply. I was considering a conversion of the garage cu to a split load cu, feeding the greenhouse from the unprotected side, but I think that there is only one neutral bar in the cu.

Can the garage cu be converted, or is there an better way to do this?

IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Re: Power to greenhouse cu off garage cu
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2014, 5:44pm

Change Garage RCD to a main switch and fit RCBO's for existing ccts and a MCB on greenhouse supply.

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Oldfred
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2014, 9:25am

Thanks for that Scot. When I searched for a solution I came across a posting where the lack of a second neutral bar was overcome by connecting the non-protected neutral to the load side of the main switch. This is neat and less costly than rcbo's, but is it acceptable?

(Later) I've just taken the front off the cu (a Steeple) and it is most peculiar, with a rail that isn't the usual din shaped, more a flat strip with a crease at the top on which the Steeple mcb's hang. They seem to be fixed from the rear. I don't know whether other mcb's would be compatible. I'm beginning to go off the idea.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2014, 12:46pm

sounds similar to crabtree starbreakers.

plug in mcbs so not able to change to split load board

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print